Through the mists of history …

Go down

Through the mists of history … Empty Through the mists of history …

Post  Sirop14 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Through the mists of history …

15-June-2016


The construction of the Rochon Dam was first announced in the Seychelles Bulletin on Monday 28th of March 1966. It was a decision taken to minimise the impact of the seasonal shortages of water. Consulting engineers Humphreys and Sons planned and designed the dam. Construction was undertaken by W&C French Limited, the contractors.
Work started in early 1967 and it took 2 ½ years to complete. An average of 400 workers were employed on the project. No less than 7,000 pounds of gelignite had to be used in the blasting work and 15,000 tons of concrete went in the project which is 60 feet above the level of the original stream. The Dam which is 70 feet at its deepest has the capacity to hold 11 ½ million gallons of water.
The cost of the entire scheme including the treatment works and installation of town mains amounted to 8 ½ million. At that time, it was the biggest construction project ever to be carried out in Seychelles. The Rochon Dam was inaugurated on Saturday 26th April 1969 by Governor Bruce Greatbatch (1917–1989).
The population of Seychelles was then almost 50,000 inhabitants. In 1979, when the La Gogue embankment dam was completed, a 8km run of pipe was connected to receive overflow from Rochon Dam. The dam is named after L’Abbé Alexis Rochon (1741-1817), a French astronomer and scientist who came to Mahé in 1769. During his stay in Seychelles he camped by the Rochon River which is named after him.

Compiled by Tony Mathiot

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249824

Sirop14

Posts : 12174
Join date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Through the mists of history … Empty Through the mists of history … Educational institutions in Seychelles

Post  Sirop14 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am

Through the mists of history … Educational institutions in Seychelles

28-June-2016
Tomorrow, a monument will be unveiled at Mont Fleuri to mark the existence of two educational institutions in Seychelles. They were: the Seychelles College, a boy’s secondary grammar school which opened on December 18, 1947 and the Regina Mundi Convent School which opened on January 27, 1957. The former was staffed by the Brothers of Christian Instruction and the latter was staffed by the sisters of St Joseph of Cluny. Both institutions closed in 1980.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249983

Sirop14

Posts : 12174
Join date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum