Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away

Go down

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Empty Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away

Post  Sirop14 Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away

Mr D’Offay passed away yesterdayPraslin’s successful hotelier Louis D’Offay has died. He passed away yesterday at his home in Anse Boudin on Praslin.
Owner of the L’Archipel hotel, a beach side property on Anse Gouvernement at Côte d'Or, Mr D’Offay was the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association (SHTA) chairman for 15 years before stepping down in 2013.
According to reports, Mr D’Offay lost his fight against the cancer he had been diagnosed with and he leaves behind his five children - Jean-Paul, Simon, Jean-Marc, Lucas and Caroline.
In fact, the self-taught hotelier began his journey in the tourism industry with the well-known Village du Pêcheur at Côte d’Or. He also ran the Bamboo Chalets on La Digue and the Côte d’Or Apartments on Praslin in partnership with Daniella Payet-Alis.
The man, who died at the age of 73, was also involved in politics as he was a candidate for the Baie Ste Anne constituency for the 1979 general elections but was unsuccessful.
In 1987, he won the elections by a big margin to become a member of parliament. With the return of multi-party democracy, he joined forces with former minister Jacques Hodoul in the Mouvement Seychellois pour la Démocratie (MSD) for the 1992 Constitutional Commission Elections.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=254917

Comment -We convey  our EU Community Condolence to the D'offay Family, Friends and Associates

He had supported that 1987 SIROP program

https://ak3.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/12281186/thumb/1.jpg

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Sunflower-white-lily-wrapped

http://www.seyeu.com/assets/images/eusey_arms.gif

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Empty Seychelles’ tourism industry mourns passing of longtime hotelier Louis D’Offay

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Seychelles’ tourism industry mourns passing of longtime hotelier Louis D’Offay

20-July-2017
Seychelles has lost a well-known and respected tourism personality, Louis D’Offay, who passed away at his home on Praslin on Tuesday, at the age of 73.
Mr D’Offay who described himself as a self-taught hotelier, began his journey in the tourism industry with the small beach property at Côte d’Or known as Village du Pêcheur.
Tucked at the end of Côte d’Or bay on Praslin, Hotel L'Archipel, an establishment which he built in the late 1980s, can be described as his greatest success story.
As a businessman, he invested time, money and expertise in several other ventures, especially in tourism properties on Praslin and La Digue.
Mr D’Offay was also the longest serving chairman of the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association (SHTA), stepping down in 2013 after serving as the association’s chairman for 15 years.
He was also a long serving member on the Board of the Seychelles Tourism Board and its predecessor the Seychelles Marketing Authority, up until 2012.
The Minister for Tourism, Civil Aviation, Ports and Marine, Maurice Loustau-Lalanne has paid homage to Mr D’Offay for his contribution, dedication and long years of service to the industry.
“Our Seychellois tourism family has lost a hard working son. We will celebrate your contribution to Seychelles as we pray for you. Our thoughts and prayers are also with the family,” said Mr Loustau-Lalanne.
The Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) has also joined the tourism ministry in extending sincere sympathy and conveying words of comfort to the families and friends of Mr D’Offay and to the local tourism industry.
The chief executive of the STB, Sherin Francis, said: “The Seychelles’ tourism industry has lost one of its pioneers. I am convinced that Mr D’Offay will be remembered for the great work he has done for the industry and for Seychelles.”
Meanwhile, the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) has joined its voice to that of so many tourism establishments in Seychelles to express its sincere sadness as the passing away of Mr D’Offay, a veteran and defender of the tourism industry in Seychelles.
The SCCI said “Mr D’Offay brought the L’Archipel Hotel to a high popularity within the European tourism market, hence opening an avenue for an influx of tourism on Praslin island which is still flowing today to the benefit of the Praslin economy.”
The SCCI has also presented its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr D’Offay.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=254930

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Empty Homage to Mr. Louis Antoine D’Offay

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 am

Homage to Mr. Louis Antoine D’Offay

Thursday 20 July, 2017
by K. Carolus
Homage to Mr. Louis Antoine D’Offay
23 March 1944 – 18 July 2017
Today, we mourn the passing of an icon of our tourism industry.
This week’s edition of Tourism Roundup is dedicated to Ton Louis as he was fondly known and we reproduce here with his permission former minister and now tourism consultant Alain Saint Ange’s testimonial to the great man.
SEYCHELLES TOURISM MOURNS THE PASSING OF MR. LOUIS D'OFFAY

Louis D'Offay, the well-known and highly respected hotelier from Praslin, died on the 18th July 2017 on his island home, leaving the industry he led for many years in shock and dismay. Louis, the much loved tourism personality, was a father and grandfather, a partner and a brother to some, and a cherished friend to so many.
For the last two or so months he fought bravely against the cancer he had been diagnosed with, with the support of his beloved children, family members and friends. Louis D'Offay was 73 years old. Today he leaves behind five children, namely Jean-Paul, Simon, Jean-Marc, Lucas and Caroline.
Who was Louis D'Offay?
The sea and everything related to the sea was very much his passion, and he derived great joy from studying and working on ships for many years. He was a keen and avid fisherman.
Silhouette Island
Louis D'Offay lived on Silhouette Island and managed it for many years. He established himself as a hard worker who showed that he had the tenacity required to make this big island work and to make it profitable.
It is during his time on Silhouette Island that he helped coin the song 'Grand Barb' together with the well known singer and compositor, Patrick Victor. This was the song Louis D'Offay would sing loudly and happily at social evenings and in the company of friends.
The Hotelier
He was a self-taught hotelier, as he loved to say, and after the many years he owned and managed hotels, the verdict is that he was a very successful one. He began his journey with the quaint and charming 'Village du Pecheur' situated right on the beach at Cote D'Or, Praslin. This little establishment made its mark with its good food and the homely atmosphere.
The successful years at 'Village du Pecheur' gave Louis D'Offay the confidence to move into something bigger and better. He built, together with Cecile Hodoul, the famous L'Archipel Hotel of Praslin.
L'Archipel Hotel was a purpose built hotel which Louis D'Offay saw as his baby. He spent his life at this property which was renowned for its good food, the ambience and the Creole flair. Louis D'Offay never stopped investing in his property and the hotel welcomed faithful and repeat guests who saw Louis as their Seychellois friend. His son, Lucas D'Offay, worked in the hotel with him and Eddie D'Offay, his brother, was responsible for all Sales and Marketing activities.
L'Archipel Hotel is known as a "Home Grown" property and is regarded as a success story of the Seychelles Tourism Industry.

Opening night of Le Bamboo Guest House on La Digue
Louis D'Offay wanted to see the Seychelles tourism industry succeed. He also seized opportunities and was never known to shy away from a venture if he thought it would help the industry.
The business acumen of Louis D'Offay pushed him to take over a lease for the Bamboo Guest House of La Digue and, in partnership with Daniella Payet-Alis, the Cote D'Or Apartments.
Both small properties worked well and he personally visited them frequently to ensure his personal vision was guiding the show.
Cote D'Or Apartments
Seychelles Hospitality & Tourism Association (SHTA)
The leadership qualities of Louis D'Offay were recognised when he was appointed as the Chairman of SHTA.
Louis D'Offay as Chairman of the SHTA
The Tourism Industry's Association became one of the most important groupings of professionals and it was very fast acknowledged by the Government as the spokesman for tourism. The SHTA was vocal on matters affecting the tourism industry. It had its own Newsletter that ensured the Private Sector Trade and the Government were always well informed on matters of importance.
It was under the Chairmanship of Louis D'Offay that Seychelles really opened the Tourism Public / Private Sector partnership. Discussions on budget with Government, as well as labour matters to ensure an adequate expatriate workforce, became possible for the tourism industry.
Louis D'Offay the Chairman of the SHTA
Louis D'Offay was one of the longest serving Chairmans of the SHTA and will be remembered for his dedication to the industry's association. He led by example and gave time and money to make the association work.
Politics
Politics is in the blood of most Seychellois and Louis D'Offay was no exception. He was a notable candidate for the Baie Ste Anne Constituency for the 1979 general Elections.
Louis D'Offay, Candidate for Baie Ste Anne, Praslin 1979 elections
Louis was not successful in this election but continued to play an important part as the Branch Chairman before running again in the 1987 elections and winning the seat by a large majority.
Louis D'Offay elected as the member for Baie Ste Anne, Praslin 1987 elections
Louis D'Offay continued to be very involved in politics and was a serious member of Parliament. On the ruling party structure he was pushing for the return of multi-party politics before associating himself with Jacques Hodoul in the MSD Party (Mouvement Seychellois pour la Democratie) for the 1992 Constitutional Commission Elections.
Louis D'Offay at an MSD Political Rally
Louis D'Offay continued to give advice on the political affairs of the country, expecting nothing in return but a better Seychelles.
Thank you Louis
I was fortunate to have known Louis D'Offay for many, many years and consider him to have been a wonderful and very cherished friend of mine. My re-entry into Government was very much at the insistence of Louis D'Offay who wanted a representative of the private sector to lead the tourism industry.
At a private sector meeting at the Tourism Academy at La Misère, Louis D'Offay went as far as to iron out the salary I was to earn as a Consultant to market Seychelles.
Before taking up employment at the Tourism Board and later assuming a Ministerial Office, I spent time with Louis D'Offay at the L'Archipel Hotel and was privileged to oversee the property when he was absent from the country.
Louis D'Offay and Alain St.Ange at L'Archipel Hotel
Louis D'Offay was a friend anyone would want to have. During the final days of both my own father and mother, he travelled to La Digue to spend time with them. The final trip to the hospital on La Digue for my father was with Louis D'Offay and myself after we had lifted him into the ambulance in his wheel chair and maneuvered with difficulty to get him out at the hospital which prompted the old man to give both Louis and myself a few choice stern words.
The time I spent with Louis at the hospital in Victoria and at his Anse Boudin property marked me deeply. He had wanted to see me alone and had said so to many who visited him. Yes we spoke alone at Praslin and his words were appreciated and well understood. Knowing how difficult it was for him to lift his arm last Friday, I am deeply touched by his insistence on giving me a final hand shake as we said goodbye.
Goodbye Louis, my dear friend. I am honoured to have known you. Seychelles will miss you. I will miss you.
Alain St.Ange
Saint Ange Consultancy

https://www.facebook.com/todayinsey/posts/1394200550617751

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Empty Re: Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:42 pm

SEYCHELLES TOURISM MOURNS THE PASSING OF MR. LOUIS D'OFFAY
http://freeseychellesnow.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/seychelles-tourism-mourns-passing-of-mr.html

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away Empty Re: Hotelier Louis D’Offay passes away

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down