Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Lafortune celebrates 55 years of priesthood

Go down

Father Lafortune celebrates 55 years of priesthood Empty Father Lafortune celebrates 55 years of priesthood

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Father Lafortune celebrates 55 years of priesthood

04-July-2018
• Shares future projects with President Faure

Father Gustave Lafortune commemorated his 55th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood last Sunday, on June 30, 2018 during the 150th celebration of the Notre Dame de Sept Douleurs church in Anse Boileau.

In respective of this auspicious occasion, Father Lafortune paid a courtesy visit to President Danny Faure at State House yesterday.

Father Lafortune, one of the most long-serving Catholic priests, was ordained on June 30, 1963 in Switzerland and retired in 2015 after 52 years of serving in various parishes in the country.

These include parishes in Mont Fleuri, Baie Ste Anne Praslin, Anse Royale, Takamaka, Anse Boileau, Port Glaud, Grand Anse Mahé and Cascade.

Additionally he also wrote for the Catholic’s L’Echo des Iles magazine for several years and is widely known for his gospel songs.

Following his encounter with President Faure, Father Lafortune said that discussions centered around his future projects.

“I have recently released on CD some of my old songs that came out on cassettes and I’m hoping to release another CD with some more songs either by the end of this month or next month,” revealed Father Lafortune.

While the first and second CDs were released with the album cover of Saint Pope Jean-Paul II and Jesus Christ, the latter will have an album cover representing the Virgin Mary and Josephine Cafrine, the leper of Seychelles.

“My second project is an autobiography of my journey; the things I have helped to create and renovate, pictures of the parishes I have served among others.”

Lastly, Father Lafortune is hoping to write and publish a catechism book which would brush on the essential elements of the Christian faith.

Though retired and residing at the Domus (Catholic priests’ residence in Victoria), Father Lafortune continues to help and counsel people hence he also took the opportunity of the tête-à-tête to inform the president of other people’s concerns and problems.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=259496

Sirop14

Back to top Go down