Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Fostering cruise and super-yacht tourism in Seychelles

Post  Sirop14 Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 am

Fostering cruise and super-yacht tourism in Seychelles

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249948

AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa gets new GM
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249947

Interview with Tourism and Culture Minister Alain St Ange
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249945

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles Tourism Academy Graduation Ceremony 2016

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 am

Seychelles Tourism Academy Graduation Ceremony 2016

14-July-2016

Two students clinch President’s Cup

Two students of the Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA) – Karen Cesar and Alexandra Schnell – came out as outstanding performers and clinched the President’s Cup at this year’s graduation ceremony of the academy.
Karen and Alexandra were among the 230 or so who graduated yesterday in the STA’s annual graduation ceremony.
Karen won the Most Outstanding Performer and President’s Cup in Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management while Alexandra won Most Outstanding Performer for the Year 2016.
This is the first time in its graduation history that STA awards two President’s Cup as it had two cohorts graduating – one in the Hospitality Management Programme and one for the Craft Programme meaning the rest of the programmes offered by the institution.
It was Vice-President Danny Faure who presented the President’s Cups to both outstanding performers.
The academy also had tokens of appreciation for the government of Seychelles for its continued support to STA. These were received by the vice-president.
Also present were the principal of STA Flavien Joubert, Dr Philip Smith of Shannon College of Hotel Management in Ireland which works in partnership with the academy, ministers, members of the National Assembly, sponsors especially from the hospitality industry and parents.
Karen and Alexandra were rewarded for their involvement in the academy’s activities; were exemplary to other students and were also ambassadors for the academy. Besides the President’s Cup, they also received a certificate of merit and a prize of merit.
Their attendance and punctuality, which is greatly needed in the work environment, contributed towards the girls achieving the highest prize.
Other prizes on offer were two Minister’s awards for Most Outstanding Performance at the Apprenticeship level. These prizes were given by Alain St Ange, Minister for Tourism and Culture, the Seychelles National Youth Council prize for Most Improved Student and other prizes like best academic award, best practical award, best effort award in the Advanced Certificate and Certificate levels. There were also other prizes such as best academic award, best food and beverage award and best rooms division award at Advanced Diploma Level.
In his message to the students, Mr Joubert called on them to continue with their positive attitude, face challenges without fear of failure and be motivated at all times, go to work on time and respect job roster.
“Be a team player with respect for your work colleagues, both Seychellois and our expatriate guest workers who are here in Seychelles to help us. Be on your best behaviour and ensure obedience to your supervisors, departmental managers and your general manager. Finally, I call upon you to believe in your abilities,” he said while urging them to work hard and success will follow.
To the hospitality management graduates, Mr Joubert advised them the most important lesson they need to take out from their experience on the hospitality management programme is that change is inevitable.
“When it does, do not let it bring you down. Do not sit back and reminisce about how things were before the change or how things could have been if the change had not happened. If you do this, you will not be able to move forward with the desired strength, positiveness and wisdom to overcome the challenges,” he said.
Mr Joubert also had words of thanks and appreciation for those who helped the academy along the way. Their Patron Claude Narain and the team at Constance Academy in Mauritus, board members of STA, Philip Smith and team of Shannon College and the University of Ireland and to travel agencies, hotels, guest houses, restaurants, Cable & Wireless, Air Seychelles/Etihad Airways and others.
“Shannon College of Hotel Management and the University of Ireland are proud to be associated with the Seychelles Tourism Academy. For the last seven years we have witnessed and developed its facilities and its offerings. This is very important for us as the university’s validation of the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management (ADHM) programme is dependent on STA’s continuing to meet the highest standard of quality assurance, teaching assessment and teaching support,” he said.
He remarked Shannon College has worked closely with STA to develop the ADHM programme in many ways, and has been involved in developing and supervising very strong college insurance procedures, and in assisting in providing both management and staff support.
All the STA students who have been to Ireland have been of a very high level, with a Seychelles student receiving an award of the highest mark in the whole college.
The students also had a vote of thanks for the occasion.
The ceremony was launched with the academy’s anthem ‘La Marche Vers l’Excellence’ and animated by song performances.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250201

STA graduation - Hard work does pay off, best students aver

14-July-2016

“The three-year study in Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management was very challenging. But with determination and perseverance I managed to come out successful.”
This was how a smiling Karen Cesar described her feeling after clinching the Most Outstanding Performer and President’s Cup in the Advanced Diploma and Hospitality Management course.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250200

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Babi, the self-made hotelier

Post  Sirop14 Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 am

Babi, the self-made hotelier

02-August-2016

If you have set foot on the island of La Digue, there is a strong chance that you have met or heard of Robert Labiche, or Babi as he is known to everyone. Better still, you may have had the privilege to spend a night or two at Kot Babi, the cozy guest house of pure traditional creole architecture he owns and runs opposite Anse Calice. From the pier, you just have to turn left at the Police Station and there you are after a mere 150 metres on your bicycle, the island’s best mode of transport.

An eccentric encounter in Mauritius
I first met Babi back in 2007 during the annual International Creole Festival in Mauritius and this is where I discovered his great talent as a cook and restaurateur. He had been invited by the organisers to hold a Seychellois restaurant at Domaine des Pailles, on the outskirts of Port Louis, the island’s capital. The place was always full during the one-week festival with many Mauritians making it their favourite lunching and dining place. Those included dignitaries such as then Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam and his deputy and Tourism Minister Xavier Luc Duval. Through the excellent culinary experience, the latter came to fall in love with Seychellois gastronomy. He invited Babi to Chamarel where over a meal of wild boar in the romantic ambiance of a poetry recital, our cook shared the best recipes with him.

Babi, now his known identity
I myself rarely miss an opportunity while on the enchanted island to spend an afternoon or evening with Babi and taste a good pwason griye, kari koko poul or ladob bannann. We sometimes cross the road over to the beach where Babi treats his guests to frequent creole afternoons or evenings. I have also always promised him that I will one day write a profile out of the life story he passionately relates during my regular visits.
Strangely enough, I had to ask him to remind me of his name. As he himself remarks, most people think that Babi is his real name. He explains how he got the nickname which has become his known identity since his early age:
“I got the name when I was still a very young boy and growing up at Hangard Street. When I went to school, I did not recognise my name when the teacher first called out the pupil’s names. I cried saying that my name had not been called. The head teacher had to call in my mum for her to certify that I was the real Robert Labiche.”

Start in the tourism industry
The now 58-year-old recalls that he started from scratch, out of nothing like he says, with even his family not believing that he could succeed in the tourism industry, as he had no relevant qualifications.
“I was only 14 when I left modern school. I went to work for Temooljee in its Victoria shop. But I had always wanted to work in a hotel. At this time big hotels were starting to be constructed on Mahé and Temooljee was one of their suppliers. This helped me keep an interest in hotels and after a short spell at Costain, which was carrying out dredging works on Mahé and where I was earning R60 per week, I decided to apply for a job in the hotel industry. But there were only two vacancies available – cleaner and assistant cook. I did not have the relevant certificates but was offered a job at Coral Strand as assistant cook. My only experience had been watching mum cook but I came to realise that this cuisine was not suitable for hotels. So I had no choice but to learn and continue learning,” Babi recalls.
He also remembers that as he was not qualified, he had to lie in order to get the job, telling his interviewers that he had previously worked on a boat. At a time when there were no Seychellois chefs, he became a sous-chef after spending eight years at the Coral Strand. It would not be long before he became a chef and this came only two years later when La Digue Island Lodge offered him the opportunity. He later moved to Darros as chef to the Shah family, then rulers of Iran and owners of the island. Babi relates this interesting episode of his career:
“It was very difficult at first but a salary of R3000 per month was very good at the time. On Darros I cooked for various world known personalities including kings, queens and other stars like Dody Al-Fayed and Marc Lavoine.”

Once on La Digue, always on La Digue…

The next step was Félicité Island in 1989 where he had as guests Tony Blair, Richard Bronson, David Gilmour and others. He had now come back close to La Digue and this is when he realised that he had fallen in love with Seychelles’ third largest island by population.
“In 1991 I decided to move permanently to La Digue and at the same time create something for myself. I bought the plot of land where I am today. I built this beautiful Creole house and turned it into a small hotel and this is where I believe I will stay until the end of my days as I now feel like a Diguois and contribute much to the island’s socio-economic development. I am now for example busy preparing the La Digue feast of August 15. I am also involved in the Festival Kreol and Carnaval International de Victoria. So after several years on outlying islands I decided to settle on La Digue which is itself a remote and unique island. Even here I have hosted several dignitaries. For instance, one day Xavier Luc Duval came along and asked if he could have a shower. He got much more than a shower and this explains my connection with Mauritius,” he reveals.
Rightly, what is different in what Babi has to offer? He seems to suggest that all is different, only to stop on one specific example.
“Since some time now, I am proposing a beach breakfast to my clients. This means that instead of having their breakfast here on the verandah, they can go on the beach and have it on their towel. This is proving to be a unique experience as they can enjoy the beach very early in the morning, at a time when there are not many people around. In fact it is when my clients are leaving the beach that other people are coming.”
“Clients no longer want to have bacon and fried eggs for breakfast,” he insists, adding that he also encourages them to buy traditional diguois delicacies from the island’s shops for their early pick-nick.
This new product however removes nothing from the charm and Creole hospitality of his verandah restaurant, just as his kitchen bar where he displays spices and other local products in place of alcohol bottles.

Any regrets?
Babi is more than satisfied that he has achieved much with not so much academic ability and for him this is a lesson for the youth. He however feels that La Digue is quickly losing its charm and becoming polluted with unnecessary imported stuff and loud music.
“Before we could hear the veuve sing, hens cackle and cocks crow. But now we hear only loud music. I think that we have constructed too many houses on the coast line. I agree that we do not have enough building space and the Diguois also have to enjoy themselves but we must know how to do it. I also feel that we are not applying the right solution in the destruction of hairy caterpillars and this is rather destroying other species like the spider which tourists used to enjoy taking pictures of. If we continue like that tourists will stop coming to La Digue and will rather go to other islands like Silhouette,” laments Babi.
But just as he has always been active, Babi promises that he will not be discouraged and will never give up!

By Michel Savy

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250450

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty AVANI launches first ‘Bazaar Barbarons’

Post  Sirop14 Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:14 am

AVANI launches first ‘Bazaar Barbarons’

02-August-2016
As a way of promoting the true culture of Seychelles through the community, AVANI Resort & Spa organised its first ‘Bazaar Barbarons’.
The event, which will be held twice a month – on the second and last Saturday of the month – was officially opened by Miss Seychelles 2016, Christine Barbier who was also the ambassador during the ‘Bazaar Barbarons’.
Guests at the launch ceremony included the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange, the Indian high commisioner Sanjay Panda, the chief executive (CEO) of the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) Sherin Naiken, the general manager (GM) of AVANI Resort & Spa Stephane Vilar, among others.
The bazaar was put together by AVANI and the community of Grand Anse to showcase Seychelles’ culture with live performances by artists, Seychelles gastronomy with senior ladies as guest chefs cooking traditional recipes using only products from Seychelles farms.
Mr Vilar stated that such a bazaar is to promote the true culture of Seychelles through traditional dance, music and local food.
“We wanted to showcase that Seychelles is not just a beautiful island, but also has a lot to offer in terms of gastronomy, culture and agriculture. We want to try and bring back good memories from the past. Barbarons used to be a lively place, and such bazaar will help the tourists and local community to discover the true traditions of Seychelles,” he said.
Patricia Banane, who owns Vetiver Craft, was also present to showcase her talent in T-Shirt and towel printing and sewing.
“It is the first time I am selling my products. I came today to see if tourists and the local community will be interested in purchasing my products, which I make with the help of my husband,” she said.
Minister St Ange pointed out that such a bazaar showcases the culture of Seychelles and promotes Seychelles in the best possible way.
Guests at the event were also entertained by dance performances by primary students from La Misère school.
The accompanying photos show guests visiting the various stalls in the ‘Bazaar Barbarons’.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250448

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Inter-Island Quay - New passenger terminal offers better comfort and facilities

Post  Sirop14 Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:29 am

Inter-Island Quay - New passenger terminal offers better comfort and facilities

16-August-2016
A modern passenger terminal facility at the Inter-Island quay was officially opened on Saturday by Joel Morgan, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Transport.
The new terminal provides a more comfortable waiting area for passengers travelling to Praslin and La Digue. It caters for people with disabilities and mothers with babies, besides providing other services like office space for destination management companies (DMCs), souvenir shop, money changer, car hire and left luggage paying facility.

The terminal was built at a cost of R4.5 million and can accommodate 400 passengers at one go.
Also present at the opening was the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange, the deputy chief executive of the Seychelles Ports Authority (SPA) Garry Albert; high officials of the SPA and the Seychelles Maritime Authority (SMS) and other guests.
Describing the day as an important one in the country’s maritime transportation, Minister Morgan said the terminal represents another step forward by the SPA to make such a facility available to both locals and tourists.
He commended the presence of DMCs offices at the terminal which he said will help them a lot in delivering their services which in return will help our tourism industry develop.
“This year I believe we are on the right path for a great increase in the number of tourists coming to Seychelles due to efforts by the Ministry of Tourism, the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) and all other tour operators and my ministry which is responsible for transport,” he said.

The new terminal provides office space for DMCs (photo above) as well as a souvenir shop among other services

Three persons – two women and a man – have lost their lives following a boat accident which
Minister Morgan also announced the possibility of increasing flight frequencies from Paris, France from three to a possible five or seven which will allow for a big increase in the number of tourists from Europe coming on those direct flights.
He said this follows discussions with the French minister responsible for the environment, energy and the sea, Segolene Royale, who was in Seychelles recently, where an agreement was reached for the increase in flight frequencies.
“When we increase flight connectivity we also increase the frequency to Praslin and La Digue. These two are linked together. Because when tourists land here they take the boat from the terminal to go to either Praslin or La Digue, hence the link between the air and maritime connectivity,” said the minister.
“It has been some time since the people has been asking for such a facility and the tourism industry has been talking about it. What is good for tourism is good for Seychelles. We should thank the port authority for responding to this appeal made by Seychelles and delivered a very good terminal,” said Minister St Ange in his short address for the occasion.
He remarked that tourism can continue to progress when it has adequate facility. And that it is important for all of us to salute an effort made by the government when the effort is to bring in a facility that we asked for, that we need. He urged all to use the terminal well.
“This new terminal complements other existing facilities like the ticket selling office and restaurant. All together they form an integral part of the good functioning of the terminal,” said Mr Albert, adding the SPA will continue developing other areas to bring their services up to date.
Mr Albert reminded all of the open space this area was, where anybody could go in and out with no control. Today this facility has 24hr security surveillance throughout the year.
It was Father David Alcindor who blessed the facility which was followed by the unveiling of the commemorative plaque by ministers St Ange and Morgan.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250630

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Airport disaster preparedness training ends

Post  Sirop14 Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Airport disaster preparedness training ends

27-August-2016

A three-day training workshop under the theme ‘Get Airports Ready for Disaster’, ended yesterday with delegates receiving their certificates.
A first time plan document was awarded to Patrick Hoareau, general manager for airport management of the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) and Paul Labaleine, director general of the Division of Risks and Disaster Management (DRDM). These two entities will be at the forefront of the plan implementation.
Some 40 people including managers from airport operations, aviation safety experts as well as representatives of key disaster management authorities were following the training to strengthen the Seychelles International Airport’s capacity to handle logistical challenges in the aftermath of natural disasters.
An initiative of the Deutshe Post DHL Group, the world’s leading mail logistics group supported and funded by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the German government, the training aimed to prepare airports in disaster-prone areas to handle the surge of incoming relief goods and traffic after disasters. The training has been conducted at 33 airports around the world since it was developed in 2009 and Seychelles is the 34th country which has benefitted from the training.
It also enables the various organisations and aid agencies to better understand the processes at the airport in the aftermath of a disaster which will make easier relief efforts and enhance overall coordination.
Uthira Ravikumar, programme analyst of climate change and disaster risk reduction of the Bureau or Policy and Programme Support at the UNDP said they had a good assessment of the airport, there were many challenges and issues identified and the important part is Seychelles and the delegates had the capacity to also identify solutions.
“What is next is we expect the airport authority of Seychelles and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Transport to work together in implementing the action plan,” said Ms Ravikumar
She said each one of the three groups – cargo, passenger and airport operations – identified three main challenges. And these challenges have to be mitigated in the next few days by identified solutions which need to be implemented. The UNDP representative for Seychelles will work with the airport authority and the disaster management team.
“This action plan needs to be integrated as part of the national strategy for the disaster risk management of Seychelles,” she said, remarking it will help when there’s a tsunami and flooding, which are Seychelles’ main risks.
Mr Hoareau said Seychelles’ airport will have to develop an action plan based on the findings from the workshop – on all the issues, proposals and challenges raised while involving all stakeholders. Then the plan will then be formalised.
“We will decide who will be the custodian of the plan because a plan needs continuous review as we go along. So if there are new facilities and procedures that we see are best, we will have to adjust,” said Mr Hoareau.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250800

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychellois consultant mandated to update country's Tourism Master Plan

Post  Sirop14 Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Seychellois consultant mandated to update country's Tourism Master Plan

26-August-2016

The tourism industry remains the pillar of the Seychelles economy which is why the government continues to consult to ensure the industry is consolidated for the long term.
The island's Minister for Tourism and Culture, Alain St Ange, recently met Daniella Larue, the consultant commissioned to undertake the exercise of developing its Strategic Plan to discuss the progress of work.
Also present at the meeting was the principal secretary for tourism, Anne Lafortune, chief executive of the Seychelles Tourism Board Sherin Naiken, principal of the Seychelles Tourism Academy Flavien Joubert, as well as the technical team of the tourism department and members of the University of Seychelles.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250791

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty New restaurant and boutique opens on Praslin

Post  Sirop14 Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:24 pm

New restaurant and boutique opens on Praslin

29-August-2016

Joel and Sandra Confait have re-opened ‘Les Rochers Restaurant and Boutique’ at Grosse Roche, La Pointe of Saint Sauveur on Praslin.
A popular restaurant with the same name and owned by Jean-Claude Confait (Sr), the parents of Joel, had operated with success until only a couple of years ago. Now, adjacent to the original restaurant, Joel and Sandra Confait have opened their purpose built Creole restaurant right on the sea with one of the most picturesque views.
Tourism and Culture Minister Alain St Ange recently visited the new restaurant with two members of Praslin’s tourism trade – Louis D'Offay and Natalie Kerndler du Buisson.
Minister St Ange, who was on a working morning on Praslin, called on Joel and Sandra Confait and was given a tour of the facilities of their new property.
The purpose built 30-seater sea-side restaurant with an impressive verandah virtually on the sea and its traditional Seychellois armchairs was built at a cost of R14 million.
Joel’s mother, Magdelene Confait (Sr), is personally in the kitchen daily coaching her son on the family’s popular recipes.
“My university training is in the kitchen with my mother,” says Joel.
Minister St Ange congratulated and wished Joel and Sandra success on the opening of their restaurant.
“Standalone restaurants are an important part of the hospitality industry. You have taken time and built a great looking property. The Creole touches are so evident and the attention to details so apparent. You deserve success,” Minister St Ange said.
The new ‘Les Rochers Restaurant and Boutique’ of Praslin has been popular since its opening and hoteliers have been recommending the establishment to their guests wanting a night out.
After touring the restaurant Minister St Ange and his delegation walked the Confait property on the other side of the road to see the fruit trees growing there and also meet Joel’s mother.
The Minister said that Joel and Sandra have been able to marry their vision with their passion.
“Their positive outlook sells. Their professional approach is impressive and we believe that they have a future well worth believing in,” said Minister St Ange.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250813

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty ‘Callinoz’, a relaxed place for great food

Post  Sirop14 Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:37 pm

‘Callinoz’, a relaxed place for great food

29-August-2016

‘Callinoz’ is a fast food trailer at the ex-children’s playground offering fast food, salads, wraps and other fun meal. Owned by Colin Rath, ‘Callinoz’ is unique in its set-up and services as it offers a form of relaxation and music to its waiting customers.
“We wanted to create an atmosphere where people feel relaxed and can see and enjoy live preparation of their meals while listening to some nice music … and take work off their minds for this short moment while enjoying a meal with a difference,” said Callinoz.
The owner and partner said he has always thought this type of business would be a great venture as they have a great love for food. They were doing something totally different before – managing firms and properties.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250806

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Conseil du Tourisme des Seychelles : lancement du guide touristique numérique

Post  Sirop14 Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Conseil du Tourisme des Seychelles : lancement du guide touristique numérique

02-September-2016
« Visiteurs, votre expérience des Seychelles ne sera plus jamais la même ! »

Après dix mois de travail intense, l’équipe du Conseil du Tourisme des Seychelles (STB) vient de dévoiler le nouveau guide touristique numérique, hier, à l’hôtel Eden Bleu, à Victoria.
Le monde professionnel du tourisme des Seychelles (transporteurs aériens, la Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie, hôteliers, managers, restaurateurs…etc.) a répondu présent pour découvrir cette application mobile. En partenariat avec la société Airtel, les invités ont pu télécharger, avec une « wifi » gratuite, le nouveau guide, 100 % gratuit et accessible hors ligne, une fois téléchargé.
La directrice générale de STB, Mme Sherin Francis, n’a pas réussi a caché sa fierté du travail accompli, avec toute son équipe, afin de lancer ce nouveau guide touristique numérique. « C’est avec un plaisir immense que je lance ce guide touristique numérique. Nous sommes contents d’avoir de belles brochures et de belles cartes, en version papier, des Seychelles, mais, désormais vous allez pouvoir les découvrir directement à partir de votre téléphone mobile. C’est un autre pas en avant pour STB. Enfin, de l’interaction numérique et expérientielle avec le visiteur. Il va pouvoir, dorénavant, choisir ce qu’il veut faire dans un périmètre précis et l’expérimenter en direct. C’est le meilleur moyen de découvrir la destination Seychelles. Cette application mobile vient répondre aux demandes et remarques des touristes et des visiteurs qui voulaient savoir : que peut-on faire aux Seychelles et quel est le meilleur moyen de les découvrir ? Vos voix ont été entendues ! Cette application interactive avec un système de GPS intégré va vous permettre d’aller dans la direction précise que vous souhaitez. Un touriste qui cherche « Le jardin du Roi » à Anse Royale, n’aura plus qu’à se géolocaliser sur son mobile avec notre guide numérique et il pourra y accéder aisément. Cette innovation est évolutive, nous pourrons y ajouter des nouveautés, que ce soit en photos, en activités, en restaurants ou autres. Téléchargez l’application et faites-nous des retours de votre expérience. Nous serons ravis de l’améliorer. Et si vous notez que quelque chose manque, faîtes-le nous savoir ! Notre souci reste d’être accessible et visible pour nos clients », a t-elle partagé lors de son discours.
Le ministre du Tourisme et de la Culture, Alain Saint-Ange a partagé également ce grand honneur. Il a salué le travail de l’équipe de STB.
« Nous avançons avec notre temps et nous progressons. Le marketing digital a une place réelle dans notre pays. Avant, nous avions nos brochures, nos magazines, nos cartes…mais le monde change rapidement et nous devons faire face à ce futur, qui se compose maintenant et encore plus avec ce type de nouvelles technologies. Celui qui visite les Seychelles a tout à portée de ses mains et pourra mieux planifier ses vacances avec toutes les offres qu’il trouvera dans ce guide touristique digital. Tout ce qui existe et identifié aux Seychelles, d’un point de vue touristique, sera visible et accessible », a souligné le ministre Alain St Ange.
Ensuite, le responsable e-marketing de STB, Dominique Sabino, a fait une présentation détaillée et technique du guide touristique numérique. Il a insisté sur le fait que les Seychelles étaient le premier pays en Afrique à lancer ce type de guide numérique avec des fonctions telles que la réalité augmentée, l’accessibilité hors-ligne entièrement gratuite et en quatre langues (anglais, français, allemand et italien), avec une carte interactive et un procédé intégré aux réseaux sociaux. Pour rendre l’expérience utilisateur encore plus agréable, il y a des options pour convertir la monnaie, changer de langues facilement, mettre en favoris vos itinéraires, trouver tous les lieux d’intérêt les plus proches, évaluer la structure qui vous a accueilli, convertir les distances. Pour terminer en beauté, des boutons « call-to-action » tels que : Call, Email or Website.
Bon vent dans cette nouvelle ère numérique au Conseil du Tourisme des Seychelles !

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250880

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles delegation head to Paris for annual French tourism trade fair

Post  Sirop14 Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:09 am

Seychelles delegation head to Paris for annual French tourism trade fair
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251061

Graduates in hospitality trade are finding their place in the tourism industry of Seychelles
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251057

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty New whole food outlet a plus to visitors and Praslin residents

Post  Sirop14 Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 am

New whole food outlet a plus to visitors and Praslin residents

16-September-2016

Paul and Brenda Rouillon have recently opened a shop with a difference and they are catering to both the tourism industry and the Praslinois at the same time.
The ‘Whole Foods Fresh Market and Café’ at Amitié on Praslin is a novel retail addition to what exist on the island.
“The number of self-catering establishments and small guest houses on Praslin have grown and many of the visitors in these accommodation units were looking for a place to buy items they needed or wanted. This is why we set up this outlet,” said Mr Rouillon as he showed his new premises to the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange and his delegation who were on a visit to Praslin.
Other members of the delegation included Anne Lafortune, the principal secretary for culture; Sherin Francis, chief executive of the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB); Sinha Levkovic, head of the inspectorate section of the tourism department; and other officials from the STB.
The range of fresh products, fruit and vegetables, freshly baked pies and cakes, packed cut meats, wines and a selection of beers are all nicely stocked in the ‘Whole Foods Fresh Market and Café’ that also houses a small but neat café with even pavement tables alfresco.
“We were impressed by this small food outlet geared primarily for our tourism industry. But as we always say what is good for our visitors is also good for us Seychellois and vice-versa. A void existed and we salute Paul and Brenda Rouillon for moving in to fill the gap. Praslin needed such a facility and today we can say we are happy that the ‘Whole Foods Fresh Market and Café’ has now opened its doors,” said Minister St Ange as he wished Paul and Brenda Rouillon success in their latest venture.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251056

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Tourism Ball 2016 - Minister thanks partners for success of Seychelles tourism

Post  Sirop14 Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Tourism Ball 2016 - Minister thanks partners for success of Seychelles tourism

26-September-2016

Tourism industry partners gathered at the Eden Bleu Hotel on Saturday evening for the annual tourism ball, the highlight of activities marking Tourism Week.
The event was attended by the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange, principal secretary (PS) for tourism Anne Lafortune, chief executive (CEO) of the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) Sherin Francis, the chief executive of Air Seychelles Roy Kinnear, the sales manager for Qatar Airways in Africa Ron Esparon, Second Princess in the Miss Seychelles … Another World 2016 pageant Samiya Albert, who was replacing crown winner Christine Barbier (who is currently doing a photoshoot overseas), among other invitees.
The Ball is aimed at bringing tourism trade partners together under one roof in a social and relaxed atmosphere where they can interact and strengthen working relationships with their public sector partners as well as establishing new contacts.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251174

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Air services accord with Finland paves way for more connectivity

Post  Sirop14 Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:42 am

Air services accord with Finland paves way for more connectivity

03-October-2016

A newly signed air services agreement with the Republic of Finland paves the way for more connectivity with the world as it opens North European skies, especially Scandinavian, to more tourism and trade opportunities.
The agreement which was signed at the Maison Quéau de Quinssy on Friday provides for possible multi airline facilities such as common reservation between airlines for passengers, cargo transport, code share partnerships between Air Seychelles and Finnish companies such as Finnair, Blue 1 and Jet Time Finland as well as the possibility of one of those airlines flying to Seychelles one day.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Transport Joel Morgan, who is also chairman of the Air Seychelles board, has commented that this first ever bilateral air service agreement with Finland replies to the government’s strategy for Seychelles to establish links and be connected to other countries in order to develop its tourism industry and diversify the market.
Describing the accord as “a very important air service agreement”, he said that it adds to Seychelles’ opportunity of becoming the Indian Ocean hub, while penetrating the North European market which he says is fast developing.
It was Minister Morgan himself who signed on the Seychelles side while Ambassador Tarja Fernández signed on behalf of her country.
The ceremony took place in the presence of the national airline’s chief executive (CEO) Roy Kinnear, other Air Seychelles executives and Foreign Affairs officials.
On her side, Ambassador Fernández said the agreement which will develop tourism and business opportunities is a concrete way of strengthening bilateral relations between the two countries.
“Although Finland is far in the North, many Finns want to come on holiday in Seychelles. The agreement will bring more Finnish tourists to Seychelles while Seychellois will also be able to visit Finland and will develop business between the two countries,” she said.
350 Finnish tourists have visited Seychelles so far this year while a total of 701 arrivals were recorded from the Scandinavian country for the whole of last year. The figures are expected to rise with the signing of the air service agreement.
“Through the agreement we have the potential to increase the number of arrivals,” Minister Morgan concluded.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251275

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles delegation to attend World Travel Market in London A 16-strong delegation consisting of hotels, airlines and DMCs (destination management companies) in Seychelles will shortly be heading to the United Kingdom to attend the World Travel Market

Post  Sirop14 Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Seychelles delegation to attend World Travel Market in London A 16-strong delegation consisting of hotels, airlines and DMCs (destination management companies) in Seychelles will shortly be heading to the United Kingdom to attend the World Travel Market

http://nation.sc/article.html?id=251686

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Tourism minister leads Seychelles delegation at London trade fair

Post  Sirop14 Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Tourism minister leads Seychelles delegation at London trade fair

The Minister for Tourism, Civil Aviation, Ports and Marine Alain St Ange led a Seychelles delegation at this year’s World Travel Market (WTM) in London.
Together with Seychelles’ high commissioner in the UK, Marie Pierre Lloyd, the minister and his delegation, who included the chief executive of the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) Sherin Francis, were present on Monday on the Seychelles stand in Excel, London for the opening of the trade fair.
Seychelles had its own destination stand covering a space of 100sqm at this year’s WTM which took place from November 7-10.
A strong presence of various companies consisting of the national airline Air Seychelles, hotel companies and DMCs (destination management companies) also formed part of the Seychelles delegation.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251778

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles makes a splash on Dubai TV – Emirates News

Post  Sirop14 Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Seychelles makes a splash on Dubai TV – Emirates News

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=251816

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty The Big Interview with Daniella Payet Alis

Post  Sirop14 Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:07 pm

The Big Interview with Daniella Payet Alis

“We cannot continue to sell Seychelles as the sun, sea and sand
destination when we fail to deliver a value-for-money service"

TODAY speaks to Daniella Payet Alis, an entrepreneur and one of Seychelles' tourism pioneers, whose company - Seychelles European Reservations - recently celebrated 20 years of success. Two decades later and still going strong, the entrepreneur reveals that the secret to her business lies in her passion for tourism and in being able to be one step ahead of the game.

A. De Giorgio

What is Seychelles European Reservations?

My business is an online reservation agency, created in 1996 at the beginning of the internet era. As a result, it became the first online reservation agency in Seychelles, primarily promoting the smaller tourism accommodation establishments. Besides promoting accommodation options, my company also works closely with foreign tour operators and local destination management companies
(DMCs) by promoting services, such as holiday packages, tour excursions and island hopping. Seychelles European Reservations
is a UK-based company for the simple reason is that I deal mostly
with European customers.

How did you come about creating this business?

Before setting up my business, I was running one of the largest tour operators in France, selling Seychelles as a holiday destination.
During my time working in France, I gained so much experience in selling a destination like Seychelles to the Europeans and, in time, built a significant social and professional network.

It all started by helping out my sisters who were running our family
businesses in Praslin consisting of two small guest houses. I met many European visitors who wanted to visit Seychelles, but could not afford the pricey stay of five-star resorts. I offered them our guest house rates and they were satisfied. Soon, I had bookings coming in which were more than our guesthouses could accommodate. Therefore, I started sending them to other nearby
guest houses.

I was surprised to realise, back then, that there was a demand. By creating my business, I wanted to give a chance to the small hotels and guest houses to compete with the large international-brand resorts in Seychelles and benefit from a slice of the pie which was
the European visitors.

But why did you put all your focus on promoting the smaller tourism establishments?

At that time, most of the renowned tour operators selling Seychelles were booking accommodation with the large resorts. I realised that the smaller hotels and guest houses were not that internationally exposed. In fact, they were only relying on trifling tour operators or word of mouth.

I realised that with my 'knowhow', my international contacts and the feedback I received from several travellers and tour operators, there was an opportunity for me to position myself as the leading online reservation agency in Seychelles for smaller tourism establishments. Thus, offering more options to the European visitors
who don’t all have a large holiday budget to spend in five-star hotels. I started selling Seychelles and its small holiday accommodations thanks to a brochure I designed, even though there wasn’t enough space for everybody. But this was all solved once I had my online reservation system up and running.

Besides the price of the accommodation, what can a visitor benefit from by staying in small hotels or guest house?

I would say that a guest staying in a small hotel or guest house is
more likely to experience the cultural side of Seychelles, whereas, in a large resort, they would experience the international brand concept and service regardless of whether it's a Seychellois carrying out the service. The beachfront of the large resort is the closest that a visitor can get to experience Seychelles unless they venture further. Keep in mind that a large resort is like a cruise liner: they have two or three bars and restaurants, a large swimming pool and entertainment – all that a visitor might need under one roof. Don't get me wrong, five-star hotels are a great experience for those who seek it.

As for the smaller holiday stays, there are many that are close to the beach but also located closer to the communities which is the pulse of the Creole culture. One can still enjoy the beach whilst walking a few metres down the road to the shop and interact with Seychellois. Some small hotels and guest houses have their own bar and restaurant, but those who do not or cannot due to lack of space, have invested in car rentals which allow the visitors to drive around
to nearby restaurants or other places of interest.

I would like to point out that the price is not always the reason why foreign visitors prefer guest houses to five-star resorts. I have come across hundreds of wealthy tourists who prefer smaller accommodations simply because of more privacy.

From where did you get your passion for tourism?

I believe I inherited it from my father, Daniel Payet, who was amongst the first tourism entrepreneurs in Praslin. He started out
very small but with hard work and dedication, he managed to build
a family business which included the Britannia Guesthouse.

I would go with my father when he organised tours around the island, such as to the Vallée de Mai. I saw how my father built his
businesses and getting everyone in the family and our community
involved, such as drivers, souvenir makers and chartering boat rides. It's from him that I learnt the business way of 'give a lot and receive plenty’ by sharing success. But my inspiration to walk in my father's footsteps came one day when my father had a guest – a 70-year-old lady from South Africa - but nobody to take her for a tour of the Vallée de Mai. My father looked at me and knowing that I’d been
there so many times with the guide, he asked me if I would like to take the lady for that tour. Back then, I was only nine years old, but I was already very talkative. I took the lady around the Vallée de Mai and the words and details just came naturally to me. After the tour, the lady removed her gold necklace and gave it to me as a gift. She told my dad I’d been her ‘best tour guide ever!’ For a nine year old, that felt great but the best part was seeing my dad looking at me with pride. It's simply priceless!

It must not have been that easy. How did you manage to keep your business successful over these past 20 years?

My business and I share something in common. This has to do with my personality. I run my business the same way I lead my life. I am an individual who welcomes change and I like to keep myself on track with the latest technologies and trends or I feel left behind. In the same context, I try to keep my business one step ahead of the
game.

As for how I managed to keep my business successful over these years, this is due to constantly keeping my regular customers and
partners happy and meeting their requirements, be they a traveller
or a tourism establishment. Today, I reap the benefits of what I started 20 years ago. By helping out and promoting my own family
businesses and sharing the success with other tourism establishments, I have consequently started a domino effect which goes on till today. Over the years, other local tourism establishments saw those who were working with me thriving and eventually sought my services.

What are the main challenges your company faces?

Like many other companies, my business has seen many highs and
lows and I have constantly had to reinvent myself and find new innovative avenues. We always came up on top though. My biggest challenge occurred nearly four years ago when Air Seychelles interrupted their direct flights to Europe. I was very much affected since the French market represented 80% of my main revenue. I saw it drop from 80% to 30% within weeks.

But thankfully, I was already in the process of partnering up with a few German tour operators and online agencies at the time. I had
been regularly monitoring the arrival statistics and the German market was gradually growing in Seychelles, showing potential. Two
years later, Germany had become my number-one client, followed
by France and Italy. It's worth noting that besides Europe, I have also been getting a few clients from Asia and the United States of America.

What was the biggest complaint you received from your clients?

We cannot continue to do tourism-related business like we've been doing for the past 15 years, simply because the product is not the same. We cannot continue to sell Seychelles as a ‘sun, sea and
sand’ destination when we fail to deliver a value-for-money service.
The main complaint I receive has to do with service in general. It's
about time we start to promote Seychelles as a ‘must-travel Creole
culture destination’ and find ways and means to become a 100%
quality service-driven nation. Our tourism industry will have an expiry date in the future unless we act now.

How many tourists do you reckon come to Seychelles through your online reservations?

Our personal best happened to be last year, when we had over 15,000 customers who visited Seychelles through our agency; and
this year is looking to be another record breaker.

To what do you attribute this success?

Besides gaining more direct clients and partnering up with more online agencies, the re-introduction of Air Seychelles' direct flights
to Paris since last year have boosted my numbers. And now, I am
looking forward to the direct flight to Dusseldorf, Germany, which is
scheduled to start next March.

https://www.facebook.com/todayinsey/photos/a.417785501592599.84226.414719135232569/1156771514360657/?type=3&theater

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Tourist arrivals Another record breaking year for Seychelles

Post  Sirop14 Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Tourist arrivals Another record breaking year for Seychelles

03-December-2016

The number of tourists visiting Seychelles from January to the first week of this month (December) has already surpassed that for last year.
Antonella Lavecchia from Sicily (Italy), is the 276,234th passenger to set foot on Seychelles soil this year, surpassing the 276,233 visitors who arrived in Seychelles for the whole of last year.

http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252056

Seychelles Minister meets Middle East Press at dedicated Seychelles Briefing
http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252041

Seychelles tourism present at 29th IBTM MICE trade fair in Barcelona
http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252040

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles welcomed 303,177 visitor

Post  Sirop14 Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Seychelles welcomed 303,177 visitor
http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252567

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty UP CLOSE … with Marie-France MacGregor, co-owner of Treasure Cove Hotel

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm

UP CLOSE … with Marie-France MacGregor, co-owner of Treasure Cove Hotel

‘This does not even feel like work; it feels I’m living something I love’ Marie-France Patricia MacGregor is currently running a small hotel, the Treasure Cove, which is an enterprise... Read More
http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252639
http://nation.sc/news.html

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Vakantiebeurs 2017, Utrecht (Netherlands)

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Vakantiebeurs 2017, Utrecht (Netherlands)

28-January-2017
STB represented at Dutch fair

The Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) took part in the Vakantiebeurs fair in Utrecht, Netherlands from January 10-15, 2017.

The first day of the Vakantiebeurs is dedicated to the professionals and the other five days are open to the public with Friday evening being the longest day where it opens until 8pm.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252697

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Seychelles at Holiday World Show in Ireland

Post  Sirop14 Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Seychelles at Holiday World Show in Ireland
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252762

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Tourisme : Participation des Seychelles à l’Adonet à Paris

Post  Sirop14 Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Tourisme : Participation des Seychelles à l’Adonet à Paris
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252774

Seychelles’ sustainable tourism label gets global recognition
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252776

First tourism multi-sectorial meeting for 2017
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252784

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Re: Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Post  Sirop14 Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

VP and minister meet tourism business operators on Praslin
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252836

STB reinforces its presence on the Turkish market
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252835

Rita Richez showcases Seychelles at Miss Nationale Petite 2017
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252832

Hotels updated on hairy caterpillar and fungus gnats situation
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252837

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year - Page 2 Empty Re: Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next