Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Post  Sirop14 Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:00 am

Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

31-December-2014
The year 2014 has been challenging for tourism but at the same time it has been one whereby many achievements have been seen. We have seen airlines resuming their flights back to Seychelles, new tourism establishments opening their doors, new initiatives taken to address issues affecting our industry such as the multi-sectorial task force meeting, and not forgetting our minister’s door to door visits to keep in touch with the new developments in the tourism sector. Today we take a trip down memory lane and review the successes and challenges of our tourism industry.

Tourism department undergoes restructuring

The Ministry of Tourism and Culture started its year with a major restructuring of its tourism department with the aim of increasing productivity, ensuring high performance and service delivery so as to allow the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) to focus on the country’s marketing strategy.

The tourism department was divided into two divisions - Policy, Governance and International Cooperation division, responsible for policy formulation and implementation, good governance and ensuring that the vision of the government for the tourism industry is achieved. The second is the Standards and Regulations division mandated to ensure quality assurance in the tourism industry by assisting tourism businesses to strive and maintain desirable standards and offer value for money. This division constantly monitor, inspect and regulate all tourism businesses which include accommodation, catering, and maritime related activities to assist them in maintaining and upgrading their standards in order to make their businesses more marketable. Due to the restructuring a new section called the Tourism Human Resource Development Section was included in the department’s structure. One of the main constraints of the department for the year 2014 was the inability to put into function this important section due to the unavailability of staff.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244086

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Letter to the Editor - The state of tourism in Seychelles today

Post  Sirop14 Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 am

Letter to the Editor - The state of tourism in Seychelles today

02-February-2015
There has been a remarkable level of debate throughout 2014 concerning the state of tourism in Seychelles at this time. No doubt this has resulted into many valuable suggestions for further consideration by those responsible for executive and legislative decisions.

Not officially invited to take an active part in these debates, I have made it a point to stand on the sideline up to now. However, that historically I am the one who pioneered the development of international tourism in Seychelles; that I was mostly responsible for the build-up of our international airport; had tourism in my portfolio as the first Chief Minister of the country; and that I have since become, in my own right, a worldwide traveller; I believe that certain of my views and suggestions are deserving of consideration in the current national endeavour to make a success of our tourism industry.

I thank you, Mr Editor, for providing me the opportunity to put forward some of these views and suggestions in order that they may be considered as integral points in the ongoing debates.

That the Seychelles constitutes one of the most beautiful island groups in the world is a fact which is internationally acknowledged, but the beauty of our islands was the work of our Creator and we, the people of Seychelles, are lucky and blessed to be here. As a result of our isolation from the rest of the world, we were able to preserve most of the characteristics which make our islands beautiful and special. It must be accepted that since we broke away from our isolation and started the development of the islands as an international tourism destination, we have done a remarkable job in preserving our natural assets. As the Chief Minister, I took the view that no architect in the world can replace the architectural qualities of the Creator and Nature, hence our recognition that the islands’ physical beauty remains the most important factor within the context of the overall development policy.

The physical beauty of Seychelles is sufficient to attract people from all over the world to justify a first voyage of discovery to our islands. This first visit convinces them as to our natural beauty, but will they return for a second visit?

To attract 200,000 visitors annually is certainly not a great achievement considering the overall size of the international tourism cake. We have certainly not achieved a high “return visitor level”. It is for this reason that we must face the why question squarely in the face, hence justification for the ongoing debate to search and identify the answers. This has become more urgent because while in the past, regionally, we were only competing with Mauritius, today we have Sri Lanka, Madagascar, the Comoros, Zanzibar and all the coastal states of eastern Africa aggressively engaged in taking a share of the West Indian Ocean tourism cake.

The first question which we must face is are we seen as a friendly people, and are the tourism policies in place geared to get us regarded as a friendly people? Basically, the Seychellois is extremely friendly in nature and have always welcomed the outsiders with a smile and open heart. However, I consider it most unfortunate that for reasons of political manipulation the government of the Second Republic went out of its way to pro-actively revive the slavery factor, an exercise which resulted into many of our people confusing service with servitude. That we had a slavery connection cannot be denied but if we are the mix of race which we represent, this was due to the high level of human fraternisation between the masters and the slaves. This in effect is the basis of the Creole race and constitutes a sample of the world to come as globalisation becomes more and more impactful. Let us therefore be more positive about the future and move forward without negative thoughts with respect to a situation which is dead and gone. Unless we are giving service with a smile genuinely and heartily our body language will not be interpreted as friendly by the visitor from outside. If we were able to add the islands’ physical beauty to the image of a friendly people, we certainly would have the ingredients to become a very successful tourism destination.

However there are obviously certain questions which must be positively considered and answered if we are indeed to become a most successful tourism destination. In this connection comes the question of the cost factor of a visit to Seychelles. Are we giving the visitor value for money? Far too many of our people assume that the average visitor to our shores is a wealthy man with a bottomless pocket and fail to appreciate that in many cases they have accumulated one or two years of savings in order to come and spend one or maximum two weeks among us. As they arrive in the country and from the airport view the towering Trois Frères mountain, they are immediately convinced that this is indeed the most beautiful country. Their first experience with the people is probably with a taxi driver. He has a lot of interesting stories to tell the visitor as he is driven to the Berjaya Hotel at Beau Vallon. He is getting endeared to him until he is told that the cost for the trip is R500. He then starts to realise that travelling internally in Seychelles by car is an expensive exercise. However, he pays the bill and settles in his comfortable hotel room. But sadly he becomes disturbed when the following day the concierge approaches him and says: “Sir, why did you take a taxi to the hotel? When you are ready to go back let me organise for you a taksi pirat which will cost you only R200.” Thus the man starts to think that he has been fleeced and hence his first disappointment with his visit to Seychelles. Having lured by advertisements to visit Vallée de Mai with its unique coco de mer, he decides he must pay a visit to Praslin. However, when he gets to departure point, he is told that if he is not a local citizen he should pay three times more for the ticket. Now, is this conducive to the promotion of our country as being pro-friendly to visitors? The man certainly does not think so.

Then comes the cost factor. Seychelles has become a highly expensive destination area for the amenities and services which are provided. Somebody recently told me: “Sir James, for what I pay for one night in a five-star hotel in Seychelles if I were to go to Thailand I could have with that money not only a comfortable room but also one massaege at breakfast time, one massage after lunch and one massage to put me to sleep and there will still be some cash remaining in my pocket. Last week I decided to vsit two institutions providing massage services in the country. The massage was good but for one and a half hours the bill came to R1,050, which is scandalous considering the wage level in Seychelles. Why therefore do we not have a school training our young people to give massage and to allow them to earn R200 an hour giving a massage say on Beau Vallon beach, similar to what is available in Bali or Pukhet? The massge story is pertinent to the fact that the government needs to have in place an active manpower policy which has in mind making our destination an affordable and successful one.

Besides the question of value for money there is also the question of keeping the visitors fully active and occupied during their stay in Seychelles. When it comes to honeymooners they are so preoccupied with keeping themselves engagingly happy that they may not require a list of activities to kill the time that they are here. However, most other people, especially visitors from countries like Japan and China, will not be satisfied just sitting on a beach watching the sun rise and the sun set. They may want to go fishing but unless you are in a position to fork out two or three thousand rupees, the fishing you had in mind before you arrive in Seycelles could remain a dream and not become a reality. We must therefore indeed debate and consider all we can do together to keep our visitors fully engaged and happy during their stay. When I was leader of the opposition in the National Assembly I spoke about the creation of a tortoise race and making a monthly coco de mer auction sale as ideas of keeping the visitors occupied and active on a rainy day. What I got was a lot of ridiculous and sarcastic comments. If only SBC television would have enabled me the opportunity to explain to the people what I meant about a tortoise race and what the coco de mer auction is all about they would have certainly appreciated that the ideas should be followed. I remain of course ready to explain these two possibilities on SBC if given the opportunity.

Besides offering sunshine and seas the Seychelles must aim to become a duty free country with respect to all luxury items which would not attract a purchaser to buy if there was any duty imposed on them. In that case they would prefer to purchase the items when they are in Dubai, Hong Kong or Singapore. Thus, there would be no question of loss of revenue but we would have given a new dimension to our tourism landscape. In this respect every citizen of Seychelles should be allowed to benefit from this potential and therefore be allowed to import and sell whatever brand of luxury items which they wish to put on the market. Moreover the duty free potential should not be the exclusivity or monopoly of only a few privileged corporations. I am also ready to explain this potential through SBC if given the opportunity.

James R. Mancham
Founding President of Seychelles

Source Seychelles Nation

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Deuxième forum économique aux Seychelles pour le Club export

Post  Sirop14 Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:21 am

Deuxième forum économique aux Seychelles pour le Club export

Du 27 au 30 janvier, le Club Export de la Réunion a organisé son deuxième forum économique aux Seychelles. L'occasion de faire le point sur la coopération bilatérale entre les deux îles. Virginie Kerbidi, Vice-présidente de la Région a pris part aux différentes rencontres et discussions qui ont permis de constater que les relations économiques dans la zone Océan indien permettent désormais l'échange de savoir-faire enrichissant des deux côtés. Un des points forts de ce forum a été l'inauguration des installations de billetteries automatiques sur les bus aux Seychelles. Une entreprise locale étant en charge de cette implantation technique.

Feedback, comment and pictures

http://www.regionreunion.com/fr/spip/Deuxieme-forum-economique-aux.html

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Un restaurant chinois à l’Académie du Tourisme !

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Un restaurant chinois à l’Académie du Tourisme !

20-June-2015

Décor, menu, boissons et ambiance tout à fait chinois à l’Académie du Tourisme en cette soirée du 17 juin.

L’école hôtelière de la Misère, la Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA), a certes annoncé qu’il ouvrira bientôt les portes d’un restaurant d’application, mais a-t-elle décidé de débuter par la cuisine chinoise ?

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=245783

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Tourism multi-sectorial meeting at National House

Post  Sirop14 Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Tourism multi-sectorial meeting at National House

04-July-2015

Partners meet to work for ‘one Seychelles brand, one tourism industry’

“There is one tourism industry. There’s no two tourism industries. There’s not one for government, one for the private sector. The whole country and the brand Seychelles is one tourism industry and the whole country is to work together, us and the private sector, to make sure that Seychelles moves forward.”

This was pointed out by the Minister for Tourism and Culture, Alain St Ange, when speaking to the press after the latest tourism multi-sectorial meeting chaired by Vice-President Danny Faure and organised by the Seychelles government under the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.

The meeting, held at National House, was a follow-up on a previous meeting held in March and aimed at looking at the various points of concerns and challenges that government were following up on.

Also present were seven ministers – Wallace Cosgrow, Didier Dogley, Jean-Paul Adam, Joel Morgan, Christian Lionnet, Michael Benstrong and Minister St Ange himself – private sectors and other partners of the industry.

Speaking to the press after the meeting, Minister St Ange said the discussions were held in a frank and open manner where the private sector, in the spirit of public/private partnership, did not hesitate to raise certain issues that still need to be tackled by the government.
A lot of concerns were raised in areas where the government has not really tackled which he described as a challenge for it has to come back with constructive points that will resolve issues.

“Today some areas were tabled like for example the seaweed issue at Grand Anse Praslin which is affecting the whole stretch of Grand Anse beach.

Some of the main topics of discussion, he said, were the piling up of seaweeds of up to about 3 to 4 feet high all along the stretch of beach of Grand Anse Praslin which he said traders there say is affecting the occupancy level on the island.

This received a positive feedback from Minister Dogley of Environment, Energy and Climate Change, who informed the sitting that his ministry will find a quick and effective way to tackle the problem.

“It is not a problem for the government per se, but a problem for the country. And the Seychelles brand is affected when we fail to deliver on it,” said Mr St Ange.

He cited other affecting factors like sand flies on Praslin, annoying stray dogs, a demand for specific VAT (Value Added Tax) for small hotels which was not accepted by the Minister for Finance where an across the board VAT system has been established.

He cited other factors tabled like the cost of Air Seychelles to Praslin which was discussed at length. Air Seychelles will give a ‘compte rendu’ by next Wednesday during a sitting of the ministers of finance, transport and tourism with the private sector and technicians, to analyse these constraints.

The minister said the same applies to flights from India or Paris to Seychelles and onwards.

“Many points have been raised today. Many solutions have been found but the government will have to come up with many responses for the private sector in the next meeting in August,” he said where the second phase of discussion will take place based on new issues that will need to be discussed.

“I think as a whole it has been a very frank, very open and very transparent meeting. I like, and I think the government as a whole likes, this feeling of openness which existed,” he said.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=245940

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Good turnout at H Resort Beau Vallon Beach open day

Post  Sirop14 Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Good turnout at H Resort Beau Vallon Beach open day

08-August-2015

Visitors touring the hotel’s grounds and lobby area during the open day yesterday

Over 700 Seychellois showed up at The H Resort Beau Vallon Beach for an open day which the newly completed five-star hotel had invited all Seychellois to join for a sneak peek ahead of the opening.
The guided tours were held yesterday afternoon, and those present had the opportunity to enter a grand prize draw to win a complementary weekend stay at the resort.
A priest will also be performing a blessing ceremony of the hotel today prior to its opening on Monday.
In an interview with Seychelles NATION, the resort’s public relations manager Anthony Perlman had this to say:
Seychelles NATION:  When will the first guests be coming to the resort?
Mr Perlman: Today is very much about giving the Seychellois community the opportunity to get a first look at The H Resort prior to opening, as we want them to feel part of it, to use the facilities once we are open and experience what is available.  The H Resort officially opens on August 10, when we will welcome our first guests from overseas.
Seychelles NATION: Why choose Seychelles as the site of the second hotel in the group?
Mr Perlman:  The group is expanding in several markets, including the Indian ocean, Europe and the sub-continent and the Seychelles, as paradise destination, has huge appeal to our key target market within Europe, so what better location could there be.
Seychelles NATION:  What makes this resort different from the many others already present in Seychelles?
Mr Perlman: We have five differentiating points at The H Resort. The fact that we have incorporated Seychellois heritage in both the architecture and the planning of the food. The blend of suites and beach villas, easy access to the beach and the seven food and beverage outlets. The Sesel Spa offers holistic treatments and a range of wellness programmes, plus we are very fortunate, as our spa director is not only a massage therapist but a holistic healer and life coach. We want our guest to experience relaxed island chic and of course there is Beau Vallon beach with its pristine sand and the beautifully clear waters of the Indian Ocean.
Seychelles NATION: What kind of person would be typically a guest of the resort and which countries do you expect to be your main source markets?
Mr Perlman: Typically we are looking at 30 to 50-age range and welcome all holidaymakers from all the Seychelles feeder markets, namely France, UK, Italy, Germany, Ireland, China and the CIS.
Seychelles NATION: What is special about the location for guests?
Mr Perlman:  Quite simply, Beau Vallon beach! The best beach in the Seychelles, 3km of beautiful silver sand, turquoise sea framed by the stunning green hillsides. Easy access to Victoria, the international airport and other areas of Mahé are some of the key selling points for us.
Seychelles NATION: What kind of experience will a guest have at The H-Resort?
Mr Perlman: The resort is very much focused on providing our guests with an experience that is ‘Relaxed Island Chic’.
Seychelles NATION: How many staff do you have and what proportion of them are expatriates v/s local workers?
Mr Perlman: At present we have 150 staff members of whom 36% are Seychellois. This is a percentage that we are eagerly looking at increasing in the future through extensive training courses for both line team members and management opportunities.  Identifying local talent and recruitment is very much a focus of The H Resort.
Seychelles NATION: Can you tell us about the different types of cuisine that will be on offer to guests?
Mr Perlman: We have seven food and beverages (F&B) outlets. Vasco’s will offer Mediterranean flair with themed evening dinners and Seychellois influences at both breakfast and dinner. Eden is an intimate, romantic beachside sanctuary, offering grilled seafood and meats. Seyshima offers a delicious teppanyaki experience overlooking the lagoon.  Ripples, our poolside restaurant, will offer light fares for lunch. Our main bar ‘1502’ offers tapas style bites and flatbreads and coming soon will be the famous international restaurant, Trader Vic’s, which will offer a fusion of French Polynesian influenced dishes with a Chinese oven as a main show piece. It will be home to the original Mai Tai cocktail, which means ‘the best’.
Seychelles NATION: Can you give us an indication of the price range of the hotel, from the standard rooms up to the private villas?
Mr Perlman: Room rates will start at 475 euros, but we will however be sending details shortly about offers for the Seychellois public at preferential rates for rooms and F&B.
Seychelles NATION: The site where the hotel has been built used to be and still is a popular place for Seychellois to come for picnics... With the opening of the resort will the atmosphere change?
Mr Perlman: The beaches in Seychelles are public and Beau Vallon beach is no different and we have provided and are maintaining a purposely built foot bridge for the convenience of the Seychellois to ensure easy access to the beach. The synergy between the beach and the resort is a focal point for The H Resort, as we see this as part of the guest experience

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246391

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty French general manager joins AVANI Seychelles team

Post  Sirop14 Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:59 pm

French general manager joins AVANI Seychelles team

08-August-2015

Thomas Barguil, new GM of AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & SpaAVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa has welcomed its new general manager of French origin, Thomas Barguil.
The French native, who has nearly 20 years’ experience in upmarket hotels and resorts across the globe, will guide the teams in the resort’s first lead up to high season and beyond.
AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa only opened on the western coast of Mahé in February 2015.

Mr Barguil has a degree in hotel management from Gold Coast Griffith University in Australia, and speaks French, English and Thai. His hospitality career has taken him around the world from Europe to Africa and from South East Asia to the South Pacific, with years spent in France, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Morocco, Thailand and New Caledonia, as well as a few years spent in the India Ocean in Mauritius, Maldives and Sri Lanka.

Mr Barguil takes over the helm in Seychelles from Manish Jha, who in his 10 years with the Minor Hotel Group brands has opened many resorts, the latest being AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa. Mr Jha, who first began his career with Minor at Anantara in the Maldives, has changed places with Mr Barguil to take up the reigns at Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa in Thailand.

A dynamic, creative leader, Mr Barguil is a hands-on manager who exudes energy and hospitable professionalism. His quest is to continue to provide guests with the high level of relaxed, customer-centric services for which AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa is fast becoming renowned.
“I am delighted to take over the management of AVANI Seychelles and eager to work with its excellent team with the objectives of providing our guests with truly memorable experiences and to strengthen the positioning of our resort as one of the market leaders,” Mr Barguil said.

AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa boasts 124 rooms and suites offering stunning garden or ocean views. It is a light and breezy contemporary space of beachside resort living, with two restaurants, pool, shisha bar and private dining, as well as the spa. The resort promises a relaxed ambience for romantic couples, as well as a kids club for family-friendly holidays. There is also a wide range of activities for those looking for more than a beach break, with mangrove trails, tennis, snorkelling and diving, as well as yoga, cooking classes and a unique Creole fair.

Married with two young daughters, Mr Barguil embraces the outdoor island lifestyle and in his free time loves to windsurf, scuba dive and spend quality time with his family. He hopes to infuse his management style with a relaxed approach which has a positive effect on associates and guests alike.

The general manager role in Seychelles is not the first AVANI role for Mr Barguil, who previously headed a task force looking after the coastal escape of AVANI Kalutara Resort and the luxury-designed AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa. He was also the general manager in Thailand of Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa, part of the Minor Hotel Group to which AVANI also belongs.

AVANI Hotels & Resorts was launched in 2011 to complement Minor Hotel Group’s five-star Anantara brand. AVANI offers relaxed comfort and contemporary style in city and resort destinations to guests who value the details that matter. The brand currently has 13 properties in operation in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Malaysia, the Seychelles, Mozambique, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and Zambia, with a pipeline of further openings in Asia and the Indian Ocean. MHG has plans to grow the brand across Asia, India and the Indian Ocean and in the Middle East.

Minor Hotel Group (MHG) is a hotel owner, operator and investor, currently with a portfolio of 126 hotels and resorts in operation under the Anantara, AVANI, Per AQUUM, Oaks, Elewana, Tivoli, Marriott, Four Seasons, St Regis, Radisson Blu and Minor International brands. Today MHG operates in 22 countries across Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Africa and the Indian Ocean. With ambitious plans to grow the hotel group to 150 properties, MHG continues to expand the home grown brand of Anantara and its newest brand, AVANI, plus continues to announce strategic acquisitions.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246387

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty ‘…Mon Sesel Sa!’

Post  Sirop14 Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:55 pm

‘…Mon Sesel Sa!’

11-September-2015
Investing in our uniqueness, diversity and dynamism through quality service

Minister St Ange pledging his full support for the ‘...Mon Sesel Sa!’ campaignThe ‘…Mon Sesel Sa!’ campaign is an initiative of the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) through its newly established sub-committee on tourism.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246740

Tourism board thanks trade partners for supporting ‘Tourism Week’

11-September-2015

In the past years, trade partners have always been supportive of the Seychelles Tourism Board’s (STB) call to join forces in organising Tourism Week.
This year again, tourism trade partners have played the game, showing that government and private sector partnership can also work in organising a national event.
Constance Ephelia Resort, one of the leading resorts in sustainable practices, is proposing on September 25, an open presentation on sustainable practices.
The presentation which will be given by Ultsch-Unrath, the resort’s environment project manager, will take a look at initiatives implemented at the resort in sustainable tourism and the results achieved in socio- economic and environmental spheres.
The resort will also introduce a mangrove walk and talk with members of Sustainability for Seychelles.
The educational talk will be an opportunity for the resort’s guests to learn more about the importance of protecting mangrove habitat for future generations.
Savoy Seychelles Resort & Spa is opening its food and beverage corner on September 25 for families and friends to join in for a competition and make their own burgers.
The resort is also offering on the same day a special Tourism Week promotion with competitive prices at its spa and wellness centre, and a BBQ special on September 23 at the Gecko Beach Bar.
The resort’s organic fruit, vegetable and herb garden will also be open on September 25 to give members of the public an idea of how the resort’s chef makes use of organic ingredients in their dishes.
Small operators in the tourism industry have also joined in the celebrations. Dolphin Nemo Glass Bottom Boat, a fervent supporter of Tourism Week, is offering a sea excursion promotion on September 27.
More trade partners are expected in the coming days to join the Tourism Week programme of activities.
STB’s chief executive Sherin Naiken has thanked trade partners for their valuable contributions and for rallying alongside the STB to make Tourism Week a success.
She appealed for more trade partners to join in the celebrations.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246741

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Tourism industry pioneers to be honoured

Post  Sirop14 Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Tourism industry pioneers to be honoured

23-September-2015
Pioneers of the Seychelles tourism industry will be honoured at a special plaque-laying ceremony at the Seychelles Tourism Academy.
The event will take place on Saturday September 6 as part of activities to mark Tourism Week 2015.
This year, the Seychelles Tourism Board will be honouring a first batch of pioneers of Seychelles tourism who have been recognised as having played important roles in the formative years of the industry and who, by their energy, vision and commitment, set the course that we are following today.
The pioneers of the country’s tourism industry will be honoured at a special plaque-laying ceremony at the Seychelles Tourism Academy on September 26, starting at 9am.
Tourism and Culture Minister Alain St Ange has welcomed the country’s tourism trade and friends of the island's tourism industry to the event.
"Recognising those who have helped build our Seychelles is important. At the House of Culture, the National Cultural Centre in Victoria, our musicians today have their ‘Wall of Fame’ and at the Creole Institute we have already unveiled a bust for Antoine Abel to recognise his work as a poet and also as one of our popular authors. This coming Saturday it will be the first batch of pioneers of our tourism industry who will be recognised," said Minister St Ange.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246863

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Pioneers of tourism industry honoured

Post  Sirop14 Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Pioneers of tourism industry honoured

28-September-2015

The first few from a long list of people, dead or alive, have been honoured for their “remarkable and significant” contribution in the building of Seychelles’ tourism industry.
The names of the five tourism pioneers have been engraved on ceramic tiles which will be displayed on concrete pillars erected at what has been named the Tourism Pioneer Park at the entrance of the Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA), La Misère.
The five pioneers are Robert Michaud of Northolme Hotel, Gerard Legrand of Hotel Des Seychelles, Raymonde Delorie of Beau Vallon Bay Hotel, Marcel Le Marchand of Hotel Des Palmes and Henry Savy of Raffles Hotel.
The remaining names of over 100 other pioneers are expected to be added in an event to be organised during the forthcoming Ocean Festival in December.
President James Michel unveiled the plaque to officially open the Seychelles Tourism Pioneer Park and planted a coco de mer nut there in a symbolic gesture emulated by five other key figures in the tourism and hospitality industry.

Six canon ball trees were also planted in the compound of the academy by different other stakeholders in the industry.
This was during a ceremony held on Saturday morning which was attended by key actors, stakeholders in the tourism and hospitality industry as well as tourism trade partners, other distinguished guests, staff and students of the STA.
The event forms part of this year’s activities to mark Tourism Week.
Tourism and Culture minister Alain St Ange, who has been very instrumental in recognizing and celebrating the contributions of these pioneers to the industry that is now the pillar of our economy, said these people should be seen as role models by students and others aspiring to join the tourism and hospitality industry.
‘’Recognising those who have been there in the past will help us to know where we are going in the future,” Minister St Ange said.
“It is with great pride that the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) and the STA have rallied together to open this park where each and every Seychellois who makes his mark in the tourism and hospitality field will be seen and remembered,” Minister St Ange pointed out.
He added that the names of STA students who excel in their studies will also be displayed on the walls of the park.
The principal of the STA, Flavien Joubert, described the occasion as very auspicious in the history of the academy.
“We are very proud that the site to honour all our pioneers and all the professionals who have contributed for us to be where we are today is here,” Mr Joubert said.
Mr Joubert availed of the occasion to appeal to the young people; former and current students of the STA, to remain in the hotel and tourism industry which he said is at present crying out for help as the need for manpower increases.
“Once you have been trained stay with us, help us, we need you. It is a wonderful life even though it is hard,” Mr Joubert said.
He went on to highlight the many opportunities available to young people in the sector and not forgetting to touch on the most recent agreement the STA has signed with Air Seychelles/Etihad as widening the scope of opportunities in the industry.
“You now have the wings to fly,” Mr Joubert told the young people.
Both the public and private sector welcomed the initiative.
Kathleen Mason, the owner of Mason’s Travel who has been in the industry for several decades, has called on all actors in the industry to unite and work together if we want Seychelles to remain the dream destination that tourists enjoy.
“This is not an easy task if it is not done collectively by everyone in the industry,” Mrs Mason stressed.
She went on to emphasise the importance of keeping the trust of our international partners.
“We must deliver what we promise and ensure guests coming to our shores get value for money,” Mrs Mason pointed out.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246925

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Letter to the Editor - Monument normally erected to unite and not to divide a country

Post  Sirop14 Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Letter to the Editor - Monument normally erected to unite and not to divide a country

30-September-2015
It is true that in politics, if you do not blow your own trumpet, nobody is going to do it for you. Thus, I understand the game whereby the chairman of the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce and Industry praises the Minister for Tourism and Culture who makes a point to praise the chief executive officer of the Seychelles Tourism Board...
Of course I have no objection when ambitious people create a "reciprocal admiration group" except of course when they do so at the expense of others.
I am now converging on the article I read in your paper on the initiative of creating a park to honour the pioneers of the tourism industry in Seychelles. Certainly there would be no international tourism in Seychelles unless we became accessible to overseas visitors. No hotels would have been built unless the country became accessible by air transport. Certainly therefore those who systematically worked to get us our international airport, qualify as "first pioneers" with respect to the development of our tourism industry.
Speaking at the ceremony marking the opening of Seychelles Tourism Week, the principal of the Seychelles Tourism Academy, Mr Flavien Joubert, said - "We are very proud that the site to honour all our pioneers and all the professionals who have contributed for us to be where we are today is here." Mr Joubert, of course, forgot another Joubert. His name is David and he was Minister for Tourism in the government of the First Republic of Seychelles, who was unable to discharge his responsibilities after the coup d'état of June 1977.
Minister David Joubert was very supportive of the policy of the First Republic to develop a successful tourism industry at a time when the opposition was totally opposed to the idea and went as far as suggesting to the vulnerable voters of our country that tourism will bring diseases to the country as opposed to prosperity.
Tourism in Seychelles belongs to all of us. It is certainly a mean idea to run away with it as if it was in the ownership of a political few.
Finally, let me say that a monument is normally erected in order to unite a country and not to divide it.

James R. Mancham

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Vanilla Islands of the Indian Ocean sign agreement for cooperation with Costa Cruises

Post  Sirop14 Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Vanilla Islands of the Indian Ocean sign agreement for cooperation with Costa Cruises

02-October-2015

Costa Cruises and the Vanilla Islands have signed an agreement for closer cooperation.

It was Norbert Stiekema, the executive vice-president for sales & marketing of Costa Cruises who joined Arnaud Martin, the chairman of the Mauritius Tourism Promotional Authority (MTPA), Alain St Ange, the Seychelles Minister for Tourism and Culture, Patrick Serveaux, the President of Ile Reunion Tourisme (IRT) and Pascal Viroleau, the chief executive of the Vanilla Islands at the Top Resa tourism trade fair in Paris to formalise the document that was initially discussed in Seychelles during the 2015 Carnaval International de Victoria.

At the initial discussion Xavier-Luc Duval (the deputy Prime Minister of Mauritius), Didier Robert (the regional President of La Reunion), Alain St Ange (the Seychelles Minister for Tourism and Culture), Michel Ahamed, the director of the Mayotte Tourism and representatives of the Madagascar tourism had met Mr Stiekema of Costa Cruises to open discussions that have now paved the way for the formal signing of an agreement for cooperation.

Costa Cruises will be doubling the number of passengers cruising the the Indian Ocean and also increase their cruise ship season.

At the Paris meeting it was also agreed that for the arrival of the first Costa Cruises ship of this coming season, ministers of the region would all gather in Mauritius to welcome and board the ship together for a two-day cruise to Seychelles. The tourism ministers will be joined on board by the Costa Cruises executives and Mr Viroleau, where they will together work out a detailed plan of action for cooperation.

The Vanilla Islands representatives at the Top Resa tourism trade fair in Paris said that increasing the number of Port calls and passenger numbers was already a positive way forward, but more importantly it was the commitment to extend the length of stay by the Costa Cruises ships in the ports of the Vanilla Islands of the Indian Ocean.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246968

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Lions Club International to promote Seychelles abroad

Post  Sirop14 Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Lions Club International to promote Seychelles abroad

Lions Club International will now promote Seychelles as a tourist destination as part of its worldwide programme.
The international organisation has also agreed to promote the Eden Bleu Hotel to its members as its preferred hotel in Seychelles.
It will also organise all its local conferences at the Roche Caïman hotel.
In return, Lions Club will benefit from a 15% discount from Eden Bleu on accommodation expenses for its visiting members.
The memorandum of understanding (MoU) to formalise the partnership was signed at the hotel during a reception yesterday evening.
The Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange and Eden Bleu general manager (GM) Karl Snater signed on the Seychelles’ side while board appointee and former international director Manoj Shah signed on behalf of Lions Club International.
In attendance were Lions Club International’s second vice-president Dr Naresh Aggarwal, principal secretary for tourism Anne Lafortune and members of Lions Club International and Lions Club of Seychelles.
Minister St Ange, who is himself a member of Lions Club, described the occasion as a great day for Seychelles as it shows the togetherness and spirit of working together for the benefit of Seychelles.
He noted that as a respected international body, the Lions Club can attract many visitors to our shores by selling Seychelles to a niche market which its members represent.
He thanked the organisation for what he called a win-win partnership with Seychelles.
He was also thankful to Eden Bleu for being part of the initiative by offering reduced accommodation rates to Lions Club delegation coming to Seychelles, adding that other hotels should follow the example.
“Seychelles has what the world wants to see: Peace and stability and the culture which we have inherited from our five origins. Everybody will feel at home here, because everybody will see someone which resembles him or her, while we are at the same time unique and diverse by a thousand miles,” Minister St Ange said.
Dr Aggarwal expressed his satisfaction for concluding the partnership.
He reminded that Lions Club is present in 110 countries and that the agreement will permit to touch millions of people from those countries and attract a large number of them to Seychelles.
On his side, the Eden Bleu GM said that he was also happy to partner the Lions Club to help promote Seychelles as a tourism destination, giving further visibility to the country.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247228

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Seychelles’ tourism minister awarded Eminent Achiever Award in Africa

Post  Sirop14 Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Seychelles’ tourism minister awarded Eminent Achiever Award in Africa

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247669

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Kempinski resort welcomes festive season with Xmas tree lighting ceremony

Post  Sirop14 Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:52 am

Kempinski resort welcomes festive season with Xmas tree lighting ceremony

15-December-2015

Kempinski Seychelles Resort at Baie Lazare welcomed the holiday season with its traditional Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
The resort is celebrating this magical moment of joy and happiness with a beautifully decorated six-metre tall Christmas tree in the lagoon and a homemade gingerbread house with a fantastic aroma, typical of this period of time.
On the night of the ceremony, a 20-voice choir performed traditional Christmas favourites that filled the hotel lobby with love and cheerful spirit.
During the event the general manager, Masami Egami, personally welcomed every guest and wished them a prosperous festive season.
Mr Egami delivering his address“I am very pleased to host this traditional Christmas tree lighting ceremony and be able to ring in the festive season with the graceful voices of the Baie Lazare choir. We would like to inspire you with our passion to make your festive season memorable. Our main focus remains the same, that is to keep improving on our service standards and guest satisfaction with our attention to detail and
personalised service that will create memories that will shine forever,” Mr Egami said.
“With our great choice of dining options, Kempinski Seychelles Resort is the perfect spot for entertaining colleagues, friends and family during this special time of the year. Make this year’s festive season an extraordinary one. The warm, relaxed atmosphere paired with our friendly service will make your Christmas a remarkable celebration,” added the GM.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247845

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Constance Group in Seychelles awarded Green Globe Certificnatio

Post  Sirop14 Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:49 pm

Constance Group in Seychelles awarded Green Globe Certificnatio

26-December-2015
The Constance Group in Seychelles has again received the prestigious Green Globe Certification.
Green Globe is a global certification for sustainable tourism, supported by the UN World Tourism Organisation. It incorporates some of the highest international standards like Agenda 21, ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO19011 and ISO 22000.
Since last year the Constance Group in Seychelles has embarked on a progressive waste and recycling management, effective energy saving as well as the sustainable management of the coastal areas including the protection of sea turtles projects. To receive such certification proves that Constance in Seychelles is one of the most eco-responsible hotel groups in the region.
The Constance Hotels Group is convinced of the importance of protecting our planet by developing a culture of environmental best practices not only in Seychelles but in the region as well.
The following are some areas where the Constance Group in Seychelles had made remarkable achievements last year:

Energy reduction
Constance Lemuria on Praslin has installed a new heat recovery system for the chiller that helps to supply hot water for its boilers. With this new heat exchanger the resort has reduced its boiler fuel consumption by 70%.
The resort also has an ongoing installation project for the motion sensors and LED lights in guest rooms; so far 85% of the rooms have been completed.
Waste recycling per month
The best achievement for the year at the Constance Ephelia was the reduction of waste to landfills by 10 tonnes per month. Furthermore in less than one year the resort had segregated 100,000 plastic bottles resulting in 77%.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247947

Chinese tour operators here ahead of Air Seychelles’ direct non-stop flight to Beijing

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247948

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Tourism review for 2015

Post  Sirop14 Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:54 pm

Tourism review for 2015

31-December-2015
Seychelles continues to shine globally

The year 2015 has been a good year for the tourism industry of our country as we have seen many achievements. Seychelles has been able to once again shine on the international scene, clinching a number of awards, which have helped to increase its visibility.
Despite the challenges which have kept creeping through the doors, the tourism sector of Seychelles has managed to make it a good year.
One of the most remarkable achievements this year was the increase in visitor arrivals, whereby the country has been able to proudly pass its 250,000 mark. This has been seen as a great boost to our tourism industry, which is the pillar of our economy.
For the first time in history, Seychelles has recorded a total of more than a quarter of a million tourists to its shores.
This achievement has been described as a milestone for Seychelles and the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange has congratulated the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) as it is the core body which markets the country as a destination.
It is now vital for STB to keep working hard to consolidate its position and for the organisation to continue marketing Seychelles efficiently, ensuring that the islands remain visible across the globe.

The leading markets to date
The year to date figures have shown a 19% increase in visitors arriving in Seychelles above that of 2014 which was 9,034 visitors.
Overall visitor arrivals from Europe have increased by 11% compared to the same period last year, with European markets in the lead.
Increase in visitor arrivals has been recorded on the French market with 15%, 32% from the United Kingdom and Eire and 9% from Italy.
Visitor arrivals from Russia have decreased by 17% while the German market remains unchanged.
Seychelles also witnessed an increase in visitors coming from Africa which went up by 28% compared to the same period last year. The number of South African visitors arriving to our shores has increased by 8%.
Taking a look at Asia, we have seen a 39% increase in arrivals. The United Arab Emirates recorded an increase of 53% and China 4%.
October was the strongest month on record for 2014 with arrival figures reaching up to 23,312. This year, the month of October remained in its position as being the best one for our tourism industry. We have seen an increase of 18% compared to the same period last year. This year, 27,477 visitors arrived in Seychelles in October.
August was the second best month this year with 25,393 visitors, followed by March with 25,129 and April with 25,038 arrivals.

Miss Seychelles…Another World 2015

Miss Seychelles…Another World 2015 Linne Freminot made the country proud at the recent 65th Miss World beauty pageant held in Sanya, China.
Our beauty queen managed to reach the finals for one of the challenge events, finishing in second position.
This achievement in the sports event was a remarkable one, which Miss Seychelles has described as a memorable moment in her life.
Miss Freminot has described her experience at this international pageant as an unforgettable one, adding that more than ever she has learned to appreciate her country, which she had missed so much during her stay in China.
“I am happy that I have been able to bring something back. The sports challenge event was not easy and seeing how fit the other girls were, I did not think I would be able to reach second position,” she said.

A dream come true at Montagne Posée
After being crowned as the Miss Seychelles…Another World 2015, Miss Freminot dedicated her time to her beauty with a purpose project.
It entailed creating a more conducive environment at the Montagne Posée prison for children visiting their parents there.
As part of her project, the ‘Playground for Hope’ was built and officially opened just a few days prior to her departure to China to represent our beautiful islands in the Miss World beauty pageant.
Miss Seychelles described the occasion as a dream come true for her, the children and the inmates. The construction of the playground as well as the toys have all been fully funded by Vijay Construction (Pty) Ltd.
Awards
Seychelles has won multiple awards this year which have helped to increase its visibility worldwide. The following are a few top ones:
• Top Award by the Luxury Travel Guide of the Country Destination of the Year went to Seychelles. The certificate for this tourism award was presented during the World Travel Market (WTM) in London to the Minister St Ange, by James Drakeford, the editor in chief of the Luxury Travel Guide in the presence of H.E. Marie Pierre Lloyd, the Seychelles high commissioner accredited to the United Kingdom, Bernadette Willemin, the director for Europe for the Seychelles Tourism Board and Tinaz Wadia, the Seychelles Tourism Board's country manager for the United Kingdom.
• World Travel Awards African and Indian Ocean 2015
The 22nd World Travel Awards Africa & Indian Ocean gala ceremony was held earlier this year at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort.
During the ceremony, the Seychelles Tourism Board won the award for Indian Ocean’s leading tourist board. Seychelles won the title of Indian Ocean’s leading destination and leading cruise destination.
Seychelles scooped many other awards during that evening, with our national airline Air Seychelles winning the Indian Ocean’s leading airline, business class and cabin crew.
Several hotels within our country’s tourism industry also won awards that night.
Attainments of the tourism department
The tourism department through the standards and regulations division has been able to increase the number of hotels certified with the Seychelles Sustainable Tourism Label (SSTL). The division has concentrated on the development of standards for the hotel classification programme. Increasing the awareness of the label as well as gaining international recognition have also been achievements for the division.
A memorandum of understanding was signed this year with the Fair Trade Tourism of Africa (FTT) after aligning the SSTL standards with theirs. This agreement has enabled all SSTL certified hotels to be advertised for free by FTT under the label ‘responsible products of Africa’.
The risk management section of the tourism department has completed its beach and sea safety guide as well as a risk assessment report on sea safety condition in the south of Mahe.
The section also managed to complete a first risk analysis report on incident involving visitors.
A number of policies have also been updated by the policy research and international cooperation section. These include the accommodation, tour guide, tour operator and diving policies.
The section has also devised a code of conduct for tourism-related commission agents, with the aim of ensuring that visitors receive the best possible service and that activities are conducted in a professional and orderly manner.

The Seychelles Tourism Academy
The Seychelles Tourism Academy’s (STA) first phase was officially opened this year and has been described as a promise made and delivered.
A promise made by the Seychelles’ head of state President James Michel in 2009 to build a new academy for the tourism students of the country.
This year, the academy signed many agreements with local and international bodies to increase the number of opportunities for its staff and students.
Earlier this year, STA students were given an overview of their roles in the newly launched tourism service awareness campaign dubbed ‘Mon Sesel Sa’, which is an initiative of the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI).
Chaired by Marco Francis, the SCCI has called on the country’s tourism academy to come on board for this project.
The SCCI has set up a tourism sub-committee headed by John Stravens to spearhead this project.
‘Mon Sesel Sa’ is similar to the U First campaign which existed some years back but was later discontinued.
This new campaign aims to present and promote Seychelles through its uniqueness, diversity and dynamism of its people. One of its main objectives is to promote Seychelles as a destination through quality service leaving a lasting impression on visitors.
As part of activities to celebrate this year’s Tourism Week, a tourism pioneers’ park was officially opened at the academy. The park will have the names of past pioneers of our tourism industry, as a way of recognising them for their work in making our industry what it is today.

The tourism minister
Guests touring the completed phase of the STA
Minister St Ange has been highly recognised this year at international level, first for being named among the top six personalities in the global tourism and travel world who can possibly run for the post of United Nations World Tourism Organisation Secretary General.
He was also among the top three global tourism and travel personalities. Minister St Ange has been described as a sought-after speaker at tourism conferences all across the globe and has been appreciated for his knowledge of tourism as an industry, his eloquence and friendly nature which have made him a favourite tourism minister.
Other awards for Minister St Ange included the Tourism Eminent Achiever award in Africa, which he described as a sign of appreciation for his work in the tourism industry.
This year, he was also appointed as senior advisor of Small Islands Eco-Marine Tourism Development for Nias Islands of Indonesia in the Indian Ocean.
Minister St Ange was also honoured at the House of Lords in London by the Rt. Honourable Baroness Sandip Verma, Minister for International Development of the United Kingdom when he was presented with their Plaque of Honour in the presence of Minister Kimmane Rathnakar, the Minister of State of India for Primary & Secondary Education in the Government of Kamataka, Mr Gauhar Nawab, the President of the International President of the NRI Society of India and Mr Deepak Singh, the Convenor of the NRI Society and a room full of delegates attending the Global Indian Summit 2015.

e-marketing Seychelles across the globe
The e-marketing section of the Seychelles Tourism Board has experienced unparalleled growth over the past two years, evolving from humble beginnings with one Facebook page and one website to no less than nine social media pages, eight new niche websites plus a host of mobile apps and online applications.
It has been able to make Seychelles visible on twitter, instagram, wayn, vimeo, pinterest, google+, youtube, linkedIn and flickr, with the aim of keeping Seychelles top of mind among subscribers to the social media revolution that has taken the world by storm in recent years.
Apart from raising awareness over social media platforms, the e-marketing section has been hard at work creating a raft of new websites which include not only a totally revamped seychelles.travel destination website but also mini-websites for Seychelles Ocean Festival, Seychelles Secrets, Miss Seychelles, My Seychelles Experience, and both Chinese and Portuguese destination information websites.
These initiatives have greatly increased traffic to Seychelles in comparison to just a few years ago when, for example, the islands had a Facebook following of just 4,200 (2013) but which has now grown to more than 500,000 in over 129 countries, across its two main marketing Facebook pages.
The Seychelles Tourism Board’s social media following stands at 750,000, over the nine platforms which is one of the highest in Africa.
Website visitors have grown to over 1.1 million unique visitors in 2015, up from 600,000 in 2013.
The e-marketing section has also produced an Ipad/tablet app called the E-Travel Guide which visitors can download for information on events, islands, activities as well as an interactive map of the islands.
Contributed

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247985

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty SHTA hosts annual Ball

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:59 pm

SHTA hosts annual Ball

22-January-2016

The Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association of Seychelles (SHTA) hosted its 2016 Annual Ball at Eden Bleu Hotel at Eden Island last Saturday.
Present at the event were the Minister for Tourism and Culture Alain St Ange, French Ambassador Lionel Majeste-Larrouy, British High Commissioner Caron Röhsler, principal secretary for tourism Anne Lafortune, hoteliers and many who work closely with the island's tourism industry.
It was Eddie D'Offay, the vice-chairperson of the SHTA who had the honour of saying the first words of welcome and to be the master of ceremony for the tourism trade evening.
Sybille Cardon, the chairperson of the association, told her guests and association members that she wanted to see an association that is truly representative of the industry and mandated to talk to government on behalf of the industry.
She thanked Minister St Ange for being always present for the members of the tourism trade and for meeting them as and when necessary.
Mrs Cardon also spoke about the cross-sectorial meeting that is held between the government and the private sector.
She used her address to appeal for unity in the industry as she complimented the two officials of the association – Louise Testa and Natalie Du Buisson.
On his part Minister St Ange said he needed to thank the chairperson of the association for her remarks made on national television when she re-confirmed that the tourism industry of Seychelles had had a good positive 2015.
Minister St Ange also used his address to re-assure the tourism trade of Seychelles that the Ministry of Tourism and Culture and its tourism board will continue to work alongside the private sector trade as their facilitators.
"We will continue to meet you individually or in groups. We will continue to work with an open-door policy with your association and we will continue with our door-to-door visits to our hotels, large or small. We are all on the one side because we do not have a tourism industry for the government and another one for the private sector. We have but one tourism industry for Seychelles," said Minister St Ange.
Following a buffet dinner and a raffle draw, the Breeze Band provided dance music for the evening which was followed by a disco.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=248179

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty STA steps up move toward autonomy

Post  Sirop14 Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 pm

STA steps up move toward autonomy

15-March-2016

As it steps up its transformation from a budget dependent to an autonomous institution, the Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA) needs varied consulting services as per its needs.
Thus the signing yesterday afternoon of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the academy and the Guy Morel Institute, a constituent of the University of Seychelles (UniSey) and a training, education and consultancy services provider.
The signing of the agreement took place at the STA at La Misere in the presence of different stakeholders and partners of the STA.
Claude Narain (the general manager of Constance Academy in Mauritius and patron of the STA), Denis Hardy (vice-chancellor of the UniSey), Flavien Joubert (the principal of the STA) and Michel Denousse (the registrar of the UniSey), signed the agreement which has been described as historic by Mr Narain.
“I feel proud to form part of this occasion to convert the STA from a budget dependent to a budget independent institution,” Mr Narain said.
He added that last month together with all team members of the STA they conducted an audit of the institution, the results of which will be published soon.
“The agreement will pave the way for the project to get underway, for the procedures to be written and training of staff to take ownership of their autonomous entity,” Mr Narain stated.
Mr Joubert for his part noted that the MoU will make easier the transformation for the STA.
Prof. Hardy pointed out that agreement is one example of collaboration between institutions.
“It bodes well for the kind of projects we can get involved in for the future – working as partners, complementing each other and helping each other where we can,” Prof. Hardy said.
“It is a brave step which will bring about more opportunities for innovation and excellence and we are all very proud to be associated in some way with supporting the process,” Prof. Hardy added.
He congratulated the STA team for the bold move which will continue to further support and contribute to the development of one of the key pillars of the country’s economy and that is the tourism industry.
The chairperson of the STA board of governors, John Stravens, added that the whole transformation process the STA is going through is for the future and success of its students and the team who run the academy.
He compared the STA from its establishment to the present transformation process to a fragile little chick which has now grown into a bird with strong wings, able to fly on its own and fending for itself.
“We have crawled, walked slowly, developed and today the moment has come to spread our wings and fly,” he said.
He pointed out that having wings and flying on your own carries with it a greater sense of responsibility.
“All the staff of the academy must realise that now even though it is business, it will not be business as usual but business with more commitment, more determination, business where everyone feels they are part of it and must make a success of it. Because when we fend for ourselves we have to raise money,” Mr Stravens told everyone present.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=248743

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Second tourism multi sectorial meeting for 2016

Post  Sirop14 Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:22 am

Second tourism multi sectorial meeting for 2016

04-April-2016

Private sector asks government to hear them out more

The second tourism sectorial meeting of the year of the public private sector partnership has been described as very animated with the private sector urging the government to pay more attention to their pleas.
The government has agreed to set up another meeting especially where they have been asked to submit ten points ahead.
But they were also reminded to understand that government will remain facilitators.
As is customary the meeting, held on Friday at National House, was chaired by Vice-President Danny Faure and attended by ministers and both public and private sector officials of the tourism trade and industry.
They also recapped all points raised in the last meeting while also discussing new issues.
“Some key points came up like one where government better understands the cost of operations. For example William Rose of Praslin made a passionate appeal to government to hear his plea and for this next week there will be a meeting on Praslin for boat owners and operators to meet the government so we better appreciate the cost factor,” said Minister St Ange while enlightening the press on the discussions of the meeting.
It’s not just the turnover, he said, but the operating costs that they are battling with.
The minister said other issues raised were beach cleaning on Praslin and the private sector putting forward the need for government not to impose the 13th month salary.
He stressed this is something the government is adamant on and will keep pushing forward as it was something raised during the last elections across the board.
“Everybody agreed of the idea that a 13th month salary was needed. So the decision has been taken to go ahead with it,” said the minister.
He said a key point raised during the meeting is a separate forum the Seychelles Hotels and Tourism Association (SHTA) suggested is organised between the Vice- President, the Minister for Finance, Trade and the Blue Economy and himself as Minister for Tourism and Culture.
“A meeting will be held very soon by Vice-President Faure, Minister Adam and myself with the private sector as the SHTA is claiming government has been talking for a long time but is not doing much.
“They’ve been asked to submit ten points ahead where the government can come in and give replies so that we all understand that government will remain facilitators,” he said.
But Minister St Ange also cautioned that the government hearing out the private sector does not mean accepting everything the private sector will say.
“We still have a government to run, we still have the whole people of Seychelles to take into consideration,” he remarked, while at the same time stressing on the importance of meeting them and hearing them out.
The next tourism multi-sectorial meeting is set for July 1, 2016.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=248965

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty More visitors to Seychelles

Post  Sirop14 Thu May 05, 2016 2:44 pm

More visitors to Seychelles

05-May-2016
A total of 73,262 visitors arrived in Seychelles during the first quarter of 2016 and this represents an increase of 11% compared to the same period in 2015.
The average length of stay of these visitors is 10.1 nights and 93% of them were on holiday.
In an information note addressed to members of the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Trade, Tourism and Culture Minister Alain St Ange has highlighted the visitors’ arrival statistics for the first quarter of 2016, obtained from the National Bureau of Statistics.
Speaking on the statistical figures, Minister St Ange has said the positive results reflect the good public/private sector partnership that exists in the Seychelles’ tourism industry.
"We work hard to keep the lines of dialogue open between the public and private sector. Secondly the marketing strategy by our tourism board is working and thirdly the islands have been able to work the industry that remains the pillar of its economy, outside politics. Seychelles has but one tourism industry and not one for the government of Seychelles and another one for its private sector. As a country that remains so dependent on tourism, it is so important that Seychelles continues to be united in its work to consolidate its tourism industry,” Mr St. Ange has said.
The six leading markets for the first three months of 2016 are: France (11,631 visitors), Germany (8,736), China (5,212), United Arab Emirates (4,950), Italy (4,897) and UK & Eire (4,077).
The estimated tourism earnings for the first quarter as per the balance of payments obtained from the Central Bank stands at R1.2 billion, an increase of 37% compared to the first quarter of last year.
Tourism earnings represent important foreign exchange inflows into the Seychelles’ economy, to tourism establishments and related businesses.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249316

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Assemblée générale de l’association touristique SHTA

Post  Sirop14 Wed May 18, 2016 10:51 am

Assemblée générale de l’association touristique SHTA

18-May-2016
« Allons de l’avant avec une vision collective »

Hier, au Centre des Conférences Internationales (ICCS) de Victoria à Mahé, l’organisation Seychelles Hospitality & Tourism Association (SHTA) a réuni ses membres pour son assemblée générale annuelle. L’occasion d’élire les membres du bureau.
La présidente de la SHTA, Sybille Cardon, a ouvert l’assemblée en rappelant que l’association est présente pour répondre aux préoccupations de tous ses membres. « Nous avons, aujourd’hui, un objectif, l’élection des membres du bureau pour le mandat 2016-2018. Il est important d’élaborer notre stratégie pour le futur et de maintenir le dialogue public-privé ouvert. Soyons proactifs et réactifs vis-à-vis de nos membres. Travaillons à créer de la synergie. Parlons moins et passons à l’action. Nous avons fait du lobbying et des efforts, ce qui nous a amené à un certain succès. Pourtant, des enjeux subsistent. Nous devons accroître le nombre de nos membres. Surtout, travailler à une meilleure communication interne et externe. Nous avons de l’impact sur notre industrie et sommes reconnus en tant que telle, une association efficace. Nous continuons notre partenariat avec les ministères locaux. Nous nous devons de consolider notre structure et d’élargir notre influence », a-t-elle partagé.
Avant l’élection du bureau, les comptes 2015 et la nomination de l’auditeur comptable pour l’année 2016 ont été approuvés à l’unanimité.
Douze candidats et douze élus. Désormais, le bureau compte dans ses rangs les douze membres suivants, pour les nouveaux : Richard Young de Surfer’s Beach Self Catering Chalets, Christophe Houareau d’Eden Island Marina/Marie-Laure Suites, Dominique Herbert-Richard du H Resort et Basil Soundy de la Villa Caballero. Reconduits pour leurs mandats : Guillaume Albert de Creole Travel Services, Sybille Cardon de Les Lauriers Eco Hotel, D’Offay Eddy pour l’Hotel l’Archipel, Alan Mason de Mason’s Travel, Daniella Payet Alis de Seychelles Connect, Rod Thorrington de Jouel, Amit Wasserberg de Silhouette Cruises et de Jean Weeling-Lee de Constance Ephelia Resort.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249468

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Praslin stakeholders discuss findings of the Tourism Value Chain Analysis

Post  Sirop14 Sun May 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Praslin stakeholders discuss findings of the Tourism Value Chain Analysis

20-May-2016
Stakeholders on Praslin have been presented with the initial findings of a Tourism Value Chain Analysis conducted in 2010.
This follows a presentation on Mahé organised by the Ministry of Finance in collaboration with the World Bank.
It was also an occasion for the ministry to receive feedback from stakeholders and discuss potential recommendations.
Bradley Weiss, sustainable tourism consultant from the World Bank, shared the findings of the study which was conducted with support from the Commonwealth of Nations.
The study took place on the three main islands and involved more than 150 interviews.
Stakeholders, who were in the main from the tourism industry, included hotel and guesthouse owners, tour guides, boat owners, hotel suppliers, hardware suppliers as well as staff of the Seychelles Hotels and Tourism Association(SHTA) on Praslin. A few of them had actually taken part in the survey.
Among the findings was the fact that there has been an increase in guest arrival but a considerable decrease in yields as well as repeaters.
A few of our new markets for tourism, such as China, remains a bit unpredictable and thus ought to be better studied.
While areas of great strength such as environment sustainability and marketing could be discovered, cultural resources, customer service level and price competitiveness remain a few of our weaknesses as a travel destination.
High expenses to start and sustain a business which often lead to high prices as well as the negative impact of unofficial providers especially in the boat charter field were also discussed.
A few areas which could be tackled to increase the value of our local products include a considerable diversification of products, an increase in the local touch and characteristics in our products as well as improving selling skills and increasing opening hours of businesses.
Though agricultural produce was identified as not being highly local, fisheries is however 90% provided from our local sea.
The standards of the International Maritime Organisation’s regulations which remain too high for the local boat owners was also extensively discussed. Furthermore, the issue of employment, the reduction in local labour and the alarming drug problem on Praslin which has greatly contributed to the employment dilemma were also touched.
The hiring of expatriates, as well as the 13th month salary which still raises many concerns were also not left out.
Mr Weiss also discussed potential recommendations to help in countering issues identified and these include revision and improvements in policies and regulations, raising the standard as well as regulating small private accommodations, streamlining planning processes and more pro-active tax agents.
The stakeholders also contributed their feedback in suggesting that DMCs be given a restricted amount of activities that they can venture into so that there is a regulated free market and even the small business owners can make a living, especially when it comes to cruise ships.
A monthly bus pass system was suggested for tourists so that they can pay a higher fare should they wish to travel in the local bus which is already being subsidised for the locals.
Other suggestions include the setting up of a website which is already in progress to collectively advertise businesses on the island as well as setting up of visitor information kiosks in busy touristic areas, especially at Côte d’Or instead of having only one which is currently located in the Praslin Airport arrivals area.
The introduction of regular fairs similar to Mahé’s Bazar Labrin could also be a good opportunity for local businesses to showcase their product to visitors. Specialised courses from the Seychelles Tourism Academy such as foreign languages were also suggested.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249505

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty 2016 PATA Summit

Post  Sirop14 Sun May 22, 2016 5:57 pm

2016 PATA Summit

20-May-2016
Minister St Ange discusses tourism and travel issues at high-level forum in Guam
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249506

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty ‘My Seychelles Experience’ International Video Competition

Post  Sirop14 Mon May 23, 2016 11:19 am

‘My Seychelles Experience’ International Video Competition

23-May-2016
Winners get VIP welcome

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249531

Seychelles and South Africa’s tourism boards boost ties
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249528

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

berlin - Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year Empty Re: Tourism review - 2014- A stepping stone for the coming year

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next