Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes we can! Building new settlements on our outer islands

Go down

Yes we can! Building new settlements on our outer islands Empty Yes we can! Building new settlements on our outer islands

Post  Sirop14 Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 am

Yes we can! Building new settlements on our outer islands

28-December-2016

Could my letter last week – where I suggested that yes we could have a Seychellois in outer space – perhaps raised a few eyebrows? A Seychellois astronaut you thought? Impossible? After all we have so much to do here in Seychelles. Well thinking ahead and having a ‘can do’ spirit as many of us have, I know that one day, we will achieve this, and why not?
However for those who are still doubting, I propose something which brings us all together back to earth and to our lovely outer islands. The premise is really rather simple and it is that we start to create new developments for our citizens on carefully selected outer islands. Whole new towns with residential areas and supporting infrastructure, using perhaps a private/public approach, could be considered.
Tapping into our pioneering spirit to do more and achieve, addresses in part our current land constraint issues that we have on our main inner islands. We have an opportunity now to seriously consider planning well ahead by establishing new functioning districts, supported by hardworking Seychellois families, to go and settle and work on our outer islands.
Doing so provides us the opportunity to carefully create a new community from the ground up. Designing out inefficiencies we have experienced to date in our existing districts, while fully embracing an environmental and eco-friendly approach, would add elbow room for a well planned community and would challenge a prevailing mind set.
As well if one considers the business opportunities that this ‘scheme’ or ‘vision’ could bring, developing a new district on our outer fringes could add positive growth to our economy and bring added opportunity for our citizens and tourists alike.
Building new communities on our far outer reaches is not as ‘hair brained’ as it reads if you stop to think about it. Imagine an outer island flight or boat trip to the ‘Lespoir’ district and further trade and opportunities that this would bring.
Yes we can have our Seychellois flag flying farther away still on a new, well planned, functioning community. Doing so adds a new chapter to a Seychelles story, a pioneering spirit moving ever forward.

Raymond St Ange

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=252350

Sirop14

Back to top Go down