Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demis Roussos, solo singer and Aphrodite's Child frontman, dies aged 68

Go down

Demis Roussos, solo singer and Aphrodite's Child frontman, dies aged 68 Empty Demis Roussos, solo singer and Aphrodite's Child frontman, dies aged 68

Post  Sirop14 Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Demis Roussos, solo singer and Aphrodite's Child frontman, dies aged 68

Greek singer Demis Roussos has died aged 68 after being hospitalised for some time with an undisclosed illness.

Roussos, who has sold more than 60 million albums worldwide, died at the Hygeia Hospital in Athens, the BBC reports.

He was best known for his solo hits in the 1970s and ’80s, including 'Goodbye', 'Quand Je T'aime' and 'Forever And Ever' – which topped the charts in several countries when it was released.

Roussos was also a member of Aphrodite's Child. The band released three albums, including 'It's Five O'clock' and 'The Apocalypse Of St John', and had a radio hit with 'The Four Horsemen' from '666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18)'.

Fellow Greek singer Nana Mouskouri paid tribute to Roussos on French radio RTL, stating: "He had a superb voice, he travelled in the world... he loved what he was doing. He was an artist, a friend. I hope he is in a better world."

In June 1985, Roussos made the headlines after he boarded a plane from Athens to Rome that was hijacked by Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. Roussos spent his 39th birthday in captivity, before being released in Beirut four days after the capture. "They gave me a birthday cake and they gave me a guitar, to sing," he said at the time. "They have been very polite and very nice with us."

He released his album ‘The Story Of Demis Roussos’ shortly afterwards.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/82468#FX3ruSUCVmZ6ZurI.99

Sirop14

Back to top Go down