Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farmers advised how to boost production -

Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Farmers advised how to boost production -

Post  Sirop14 Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Nearly 100 pig and chicken farmers from several islands are learning new ways of rearing the animals in such a way as to yield as much meat and other animal products as possible.
Mr Noel addressing the farmers at the meeting yesterday

They are doing so at the International Conference Centre in a workshop organised by Mauritian producers Livestock Feed Limited (LFL) whose manager Christophe Noel said it exports about 300 tonnes of feed to Seychelles every month.

With the farmers was Natural Resources and Industry Minister Peter Sinon who said the industry is so important that he would stay with the delegates to hear what they were learning.
The main trainer is Daniel Planchenault of Glon Sanders of France which produces a million tonnes of animal feed which is sold around the world.

He told the farmers to get the most benefits, the conditions under which the animals are reared are important, saying Seychelles’ temperatures are ideal for the animals to grow fast.

He however said farmers need to know exactly how much to give their animals below which amount the animals would not grow, and above which they would just add undesired fat.

Mr Noel told Nation that Seychellois farmers may order the company’s feed directly from Mauritius if they want at least a container load, or through Mahe Distributors, adding under normal circumstances the feed arrives in two weeks and has a shelf life of about three months.

“We at LFL are committed to help the Seychellois breeder community to optimise their livestock and ensure there is adequate supply of our products on the islands,” he said, adding that the company was established in 1977 and ensures its feed “meets stringent global quality standards and are hormone- and antibiotic-free”.

He said he was happy so many farmers turned up for the workshop and his team plans to visit the breeder community here so as to better understand their needs and challenges.

“LFL has a history of helping livestock farmers increase their profits and economic performance. Our job is to ensure that all our products meet animal feed safety requirements and environmental issues.”

The farmers took part in a lottery where winners got discount vouchers and goodie bags.
Another lottery today will see a winner get a return ticket to Mauritius with three nights’ stay during which the winner will visit the LFL factory.

http://www.nation.sc/index.php?art=31101

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Ifad approves $3m loan for agriculture

Post  Sirop14 Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:24 pm

He announced the loan approval to appreciative farmers who told Nation they were happy he stayed with them when he could, during a course run by Mauritian producers Livestock Feed Limited (LFL), at the International Conference Centre.

Saying when he answered questions in the National Assembly the loan seemed far off, he said he is happy it had been approved and his ministry will issue a press release about it soon.

“The loan has been approved on a lapse of time basis – the board of directors did not have to meet and discuss it. Each of them got a copy of the project documents, they found nothing wrong with it and agreed with the Ifad president and approved it.

“Now that that has been done what remains is the signing for the conditions of disbursement, set up the technical working group and show Ifad that we have set up consultative groups … for crops, livestock, for artisanal fisheries etc.

“Once they are satisfied we will open a bank account and the money will be disbursed.”
Mr Sinon welcomed LFL’s contribution and the farmers’ keen interest in what they were being taught about ways to raise their production and farming, adding that the company involvement shows our agriculture sector is recovering.

“They did not run the workshop because they necessarily like us, because they are not in the charity business. They are here because they have recognised Seychelles is now serious to pay attention to, and invest in agriculture and support it.

“This sector was hardly noticed but now it has got the attention of Ifad, the African Development Bank, the LFL and I know from what is happening in my office, there are people who are keen to invest in agriculture.”

He said he asked one of them why he wants to invest in agriculture here now, and he said you do not buy stocks of oil or gold when the prices are high but rather, when they are still low because you know the prices will rise, and when you sell they will be high.

“We want to invest and we know we will be looked at favourably,” he said, commending players who persevered in farming when things have been difficult.

He said the “bird which had broken legs and had practically no wings is walking around, about to run and will soon spread its wings and take off”.

http://www.nation.sc/index.php?art=31113

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Re: Farmers advised how to boost production -

Post  Sirop14 Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Fermye i re-elekte tyermenn Benstrong pour en nouvo manda

12-October-2013

Serge Benstrong in ganny re-elekte koman tyermenn Lasosiasyon bann Fermye Sesel (SeyFa) pandan zot miting zeneral anyel ki ti fer Zedi apremidi kot Maison Football, Roche Caïman.

Parmi bann lezot manm ki’n ganny elekte lo komite egzekitiv i Armand Michaud koman vis-tyermenn, Jeanne D’Arc Marie koman sekreter e trezorye i David Marie.

Lezot manm i Andre William ki en manm ordiner, en reprezantan bann zenn fermye Barry Emmanuel e en reprezantan madanm Rose Mary Edmond.

Pandan ki i ti pe adres lodyans apre ki i ti’n ganny re-elekte, Msye Benstrong ti dir ki enn son bi se pour ed fermye retrouv zot plas akote bann lezot dan sekter biznes.
«Enn nou vizyon la se pour inifye bann fermye. Nou santi ki bann fermye i devret konpran idantite lasosiasyon, vizyon ek misyon,» i ti dir.

Msye Benstrong in azoute ki lasosiasyon i devret vwar son rol anba nouvo devlopman dan pei.
In osi fer resorti ki bann fermye lokal pe fer fas avek bokou konpetisyon avek bann prodwi enporte e ki ansanm zot devret trouv bann nouvo fason pour fer zot biznes marse fas a sa bann defi.

Msye Benstrong in dir ki vizyon lasosiasyon i pour devlop bann partenarya solid avek bann lenstitisyon e bann biznes agrikiltir pour kapab ede fer marse bann stratezi.

Pandan sa miting, ti annan prezantasyon ek laprouvasyon rapor tyermenn pour 2011 a 2012 e osi rapor finansyel pour 2011 ki’n ganny odite.
Ti osi annan prezantasyon e laprouvasyon plan travay e bidze lasosiasyon pour lannen 2014.

Bann lezot pwen dan sa rankont ti kat rezolisyon ki ti ganny pase e aprouve.
Avan ki sa prosesis eleksyon ti ganny fer, bann fermye ti ganny sans partisip dan en sesyon kot ti annan bann diferan prezantasyon fer par bann partener kle.

Minis pour Resours Natirel Peter Sinon ti parmi bann ki ti prezan pour sa sesyon.

Ti osi annan en sesyon diskisyon apre ki sa bann prezantasyon ti’n terminen kot bann fermye ti esanz lide e met devan zot bann konsern.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=118224

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Val D’Andorre farmers team up in community project

Post  Sirop14 Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Val D’Andorre farmers team up in community project
A group of farmers from Val D’Andorre and members of their families, youths included, came together on Sunday in a great display of unity and volunteerism to repair a dilapidated access road leading to their farms and other essential facilities.

Initiated by the Val D’Andorre Farmers Association (VFA) in collaboration with the rest of the community, work included repairing parts of the road which was filled with potholes, leveling its sides at different intervals, clearing overhanging tree branches, cutting down invading roadside creepers and other trees.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=245114

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Rosebelle farm opens new outlet at Plaisance

Post  Sirop14 Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Rosebelle farm opens new outlet at Plaisance

20-April-2015
Minister Cosgrow addressing the gatheringRosebelle farm officially opened a new outlet at Plaisance during a ceremony on Saturday.
The opening ceremony started off with a speech by Brenda Morin, the sister of the outlet’s owner, Jean-Pierre Morin. She traced his young brother’s career from a very young age, how he became a young pioneer in the farming business which has culminated in building this outlet at Plaisance.

Father Colin Underwood from the Roman Catholic Church blessed the new Rosebelle farm building and gave thanks to the Almighty for such a wonderful outlet.
The Minister for Fisheries and Agriculture Wallace Cosgrow also spoke about the great man that is Mr Morin.

“Mr Morin is a hardworking man who started small and now owns is own business. Rosebelle farm will deliver a much needed diversity in Seychelles,” he said.
Besides this outlet at Plaisance Mr Morin owns another similar one at Pointe Larue, a flower shop and also a meat outlet in town.

The new building at Plaisance, which will be Rosebelle farm’s main branch on Mahé, houses a conference room, administration office, cold storage and an area to sell wine and much more.

The new outlet will sell fresh fruit and vegetables, frozen meat, food products, alcohol and also dairy products.
Mr Morin said all his products will be affordable for all Seychellois people.

“We first opened our business by selling flowers. Then we went into the meat industry. I opened an outlet at Pointe Larue and two years after I opened another outlet in town. But I realised that it was too small, that is why I decided to build this one at Plaisance, an endeavour which took me five years to complete. We will also have a live cutting of ham at this outlet,” said Mr Morin.

Mr Morin will also have his own wine dedicated to his mother and father. The wine will be called Cherunia and will be imported from South Africa. The name Cherunia comes from his father’s name Cherubin and mother Rosania.

At the end of his visit in the Mont Fleuri and Plaisance districts, President James Michel was welcomed at the new outlet by the Morins.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=245149

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Profil - Trwa zenn-onm i zwenn ansanm pour lans Grown West Farm

Post  Sirop14 Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Profil - Trwa zenn-onm i zwenn ansanm pour lans Grown West Farm

05-August-2016

Julius Rose (27-an), Darrel Bouchereau (27-an) ek Reagan Rose (23-an), tou le trwa zenn-onm zot sorti dan distrik Anse Royale kot zot ti lekol e zot in zwenn ansanm pour kre laferm Grown West Farm ki sitie Hermitage, Anse Boileau.
Julius i anploye me sa de lezot zenn zot travay aplentan.
I annan apepre 1-an depi ler zot pe plante e sonny zannimo lo sa morso teren.
Napa okenn ant zot ki ti ganny okenn formasyon formel dan lagrikiltir apard ki Julius ki’n grandi dan lagrikiltir vi ki son papa, Msye Julien Rose, i annan en laferm Sweet Escot, Anse Royale. I la ki son lentere pour lagrikiltir in konmanse.
Pour lemoman zot pe sonny zot en trantenn koson pour lavyann. Me zot permi i permet zot pour sonny ziska 150 koson. Zot pe osi sonny kabri e zot annan lide pour ogmant lakantite dan lefitir.
Pandan en pti vizit lo zot laferm resaman mon ti rankontre Julius ek Darrel – Reagan pa ti prezan – e mon ti ganny sa pti entervyou.

Akoz zot in apel zot Laferm Grown West Farm?
«Tou sort kalite non in vin antet. Me finalman Julius in donn sa non akoz i plizoumwen baze lo landrwa kot laferm i sitie dan was, apre akoz nou pe fer tou le de – plante e sonny zannimo,» Darrel ti eksplike.

Kwa ki zot pe plante pour lemoman?
«Zironmon, kokonm, piman, papay. Nou plant for bann prodwi ki annan market e demann. Nou pe konsantre zis lo en serten kalite crop. Nou pe osi konsantre lo bann crop ki annan en long life cycle,» Darrel ti fer resorti.
«Apre sa teren isi i tre difisil pour plant bann legim parey leti ek bred,» Julius ti azoute.

Kote sa motivasyon in sorti pour antre dan biznes lagrikiltir ?
«Motivasyon in vin dan sans ki konmela nou konnen ki lagrikiltir pa lo sa menm nivo ki i ti ete lontan. Sa i akoz sa ki pli vye dan sa metye pa’n vreman ankouraz sa bann ki pli zenn pour konmans en tel biznes.Sirtou la avek problenm sekirite alimanter, bann problenm pestisid dan plant ek manze parmi lezot in fer nou vin pli motive,» Julius ek Darrel i dir.
«Me nou’n enterese pour antre dan sa domenn akoz nou krwar ki i annan fason pour deal avek sa bann problenm. Nou anvi rod bann lezot alternativ pour rezourd sa bann problenm. Nou anvi al pli lwen pou dir ki nou, nou’n anvi montre ki i annan en fason fer menm si lagrikiltir i difisil e konplike, » Darrel i azoute.
Sa trwa zenn i osi anvi fer en pe plis ki zis vann zot bann prodwi direkteman apre rekolt. Zot anvizaze fer en pe processing pour bann legim ek koson ki zot sonnyen. Petet boner lannen prosenn manm piblik ava kapab konmans vwar enpe bann prodwi transformen sorti lo Grown West Farm, konmansan avek legim epi lavyann.
Antretan sa bann zenn pe kontinyen fer serten lesey e esper tou bann keksoz fini tonm anplas.
«Ler mon gete lagrikiltir i en lar, vi ki mon ladan enpe letan e mon’n grandi ladan. Mon pa oule nou vwar nou zis pe reste dan staz kot zis nou pe dir i annan problenm dan lagrikiltir. Me nou anvi fer fas avek sa bann difikilte e kontinyen devlope,» Julius ti dir.
Darell lo son kote i dir ki parfwa i normal pour santi en pti pe presyon sirtou si nou annan en pti difikilte ki nou pa ankor kapab rezourd deswit.
Sa bann zenn i konpran ki sa premye 2 a 3-an i pou enpe difisil. Me sa pa pe dekouraz zot.
Sa trwa zenn i dir zot lanbisyon ki’n fer zot zwenn ansanm dan sa proze. Zot dir zot toultan pe rod en keksoz nouvo pour fer, en nouvo challenge. Zot ti rakonte ki o konmansman en msye ki reste Anse Royale ti donn zot en bout later pour plante. Zot ti plant en karo zironmon e apre sa lentere ti devlope. Zot ti vwar sa enteresan e depi sa zot in koz lo la, e finalman zot in fer fer zot lide e la zot pe realiz zot rev .
Aktyelman sa bann zenn i dir defi ki zot pe fer fas avek i:
-- lavant lavyann avek bouse akoz en kilo lavyann koson kot STC pe vann R65;
-- Pour trouv ‘market’ zot bann prodwi;
-- Napa ase kordinasyon ant bann minister ki met retar dan bann prosedir ki dousman letan pour fer serten demars parey rod laprouvasyon pour fer processing, finansman pour konstrir sa sales outlet, aste en frigo i kout apepre R450,000.
-- Marse pour lavyann koson ki pa rantab;
-- Bokou standar ki ganny demande lo konmansman me apre i annan bokou ki pa ganny pratike;
Sa bann zenn i dir ki pour ankouraz plis zenn antre dan biznes dan sa sekter fodre annan plis debousman, sanz sa persepsyon ki ler bann zenn i zwenn lagrikiltir konm si zot pe vin zwe, me plito donn zot plis sipor ki zot vreman bezwen.
Sa de zenn i dir i devret annan diferan fason/striktir pour adres diferan sitiasyon parey en mwayen pour kapab ed bann ki fek konmanse. Striktir i devret annan lapros diferan pour bann fermye ki’n byen etabli avek bann ki fek konmanse.
Darrel i dir dan son letan lib i kontan hang out e detann lespri tandis ki Julius li i dir son lavi i vir plizoumwen otour son laferm.
«Nou bezwen rod bann fason pour vin pli endepandan kot nou kapab ganny ‘supply’ pour nou bann ‘inputs’ pli fasilman.»
Konman parti zot plan pour lavenir sa bann zenn i dir zot anvi sorti dan sa pratik normal ki tou fermye pe fer e transform zot bann prodwi an sa ki pli bon e diferan.

En kontribisyon

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250500

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty More people seek to learn to grow at home

Post  Sirop14 Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:48 pm

More people seek to learn to grow at home

05-August-2016

A group of over 25 people turned up to attend another backyard farming session where they learned the different techniques and skills to grow their own vegetables and spices in their home garden.
The theory session was held at the Anse Boileau community centre last Saturday and this Saturday the same group will return for the most exciting part of the training which is the practical where they would practice what they have learned.
The training is being conducted by expert backyard gardening trainer Gabriel Prudence, who runs the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) project under the Competitive Local Innovations for Small-scale Agriculture (Clissa) programme.
He said the turnout was very good.
“People are really keen to grow their own greens and spices and the group was a real interesting one to work with,” Mr Prudence said.
He added that he is really looking forward to meeting them again tomorrow for the practical sessions.
Other people interested to learn the skills to improve their livelihood and boost their consumption in vegetables can enroll on the next group as new training will start over again on Saturday August 13 at the same venue.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250495

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Expatriate workers outnumber Seychellois on farms

Post  Sirop14 Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am

Expatriate workers outnumber Seychellois on farms

Wednesday 2 August, 2017
Farming
Expatriate workers outnumber Seychellois on farms
A visit to the different farms in the country shows that the expatriates working on these farms outnumber the Seychellois. The question many are asking is why are there more expatriates working on farms when we have Seychellois who can do simple jobs like farming.

https://www.facebook.com/todayinsey/posts/1405689526135520

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Re: Farmers advised how to boost production -

Post  Sirop14 Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 am

Survey to help improve decision-making in agricultural sector

The annual agricultural survey to get a complete inventory of all registered farmers and all agricultural land under production took place from September 15 – 30.
The survey covered all registered farmers on Mahé, Praslin and La Digue and data collected will be analysed and published next year.
The result obtained will help improve decision-making in the national agricultural sector.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=255904

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Farmers advised how to boost production - Empty Formasyon pour bann pti fermye komersyal

Post  Sirop14 Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Formasyon pour bann pti fermye komersyal

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=256367

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Farming through the eyes of France Philoe

“A farmer does what the farm asks of him and not what he wants to do”

Amid the challenges of today’s agricultural industry that we hear about from our local farmers, France Joachim Philoe tells his own personal story about life as a farmer and shares with us what he believes are some of the solutions to the challenges that are faced by the industry.

Background
A resident of Les Canelles, 56-year-old France recalls that his school days were cut short in Primary 6 after which he became Local farmer France Joachim Philoe (Photo credit: The Creative Studio, Seychelles)a labourer for a while. Growing up, France spent a significant amount of time in the garden with his father who was also a farmer. Fond memories soon inspired France to join his father and become a farmer himself. He recalls that he was happy with his decision, especially since the level of competition in the industry was fairly low back then.
Today, after 30 years in the profession, France owns and runs two farms at Les Canelles and Anse à la Mouche with the help of his wife and children. On some occasions he is able to hire some part-time workers but due to financial constraints, he is unable to employ anyone on a full-time basis, despite needing the assistance. In spite of this, France says he enjoys being self-employed, being his own boss and working towards his own future goals.

An average working day
France recounts that an average day in his working life usually begins at around 5.30am and ends after the sun has set. On the days when he sets off to town to sell his produce, the day begins even earlier.
He reveals that a farmer’s plans are always broken as each day presents with an unexpected incident or problem such as fallen trees and broken hose pipes. “A farmer does what the farm asks of him and not what he wants to do,” says France.
Despite the long working hours on most days of the week, France feels that this does not cause any adverse effects on him and his family as although they are working most of the time, they get to spend a lot of time together as a family and really enjoy having a cup of tea together during their breaks. The family feels that their lifestyle helps them to fully understand and appreciate the importance of being hardworking.

The farm
France cites fruits like bananas and pineapple as well as vegetables like cucumber, pumpkin, papaya, chilli and bitter gourd as some of the produce that he grows on his two farms. Once they are ready, France takes a trip down town to deliver the fresh fruits and vegetables at the Sir Selwyn Selwyn Clarke Market in Victoria where he says they sell very well.
When asked about the types of fertilisers he uses, France explains that he uses chemical fertilisers primarily and when possible, he also uses some organic ones as well. Although he would much rather use organic nutrients for his crops, he finds that chemical fertilisers are more efficient while organic ones are quite limited and more expensive. He notes however, that in order to ensure that his produce is safe for consumption by his customers, he is careful not to overuse the chemical fertilisers.

Customer satisfaction
Customer satisfaction is a value that France places great emphasis on and it is important to him that his customers are satisfied with the produce that they buy from him. It is France’s hope that prices of fruits and vegetables will drop in the future as he feels that the high costs of farming make produce rather expensive for customers who are not only looking for good quality but also reasonable prices.
Challenges in the agricultural industry
Speaking about the challenges of the agricultural industry, France mentions financial constraints as one of the major problems in Seychelles.
“There is limited access to small loans and the banks ask for too much as mortgage. I am never able to achieve my long-term objectives due to financial constraints,” says France.
A lack of agricultural research and information is also cited as a challenge by France and it is his hope that the relevant authorities will dedicate more time to educating those in the industry about the best ways to handle the issues that they face. For example, France explains that the heat in Seychelles is a major threat for crops and it would be a good initiative to educate farmers about the various ways that one can reduce the effects of excess heat on crops. The process involved in hydroponics is also another area that farmers could be educated about.
France recalls that in the past, there were many courses available in Seychelles to help educate farmers about various topics and although there are still a few, he feels that they are not enough and that farmers are not getting the type of help/information that they actually need and want.
Lastly, France explains that some of the pests in the country are becoming very resistant to poisons and this is creating a problem since it generates additional work and the farmers are losing control over such pests.

Local Food Producers Association
These challenges are cited as the main source of motivation for France when he decided to join the newly formed ‘Local Food Producers Association’ which was registered in October 2017. He explains that by being a member of the association, he is able to help find solutions for various problems and to obtain help when he needs it.
“It brings us together, we learn about each other’s problems and how to fight these together,” says France.

Current farming trends
When asked about his opinion on current trends such as sustainable and organic farming, France admits that such concepts are indeed important. However he feels that people should be encouraged even more to produce fruits/vegetables locally; that farmers need to be allocated land that is conducive for farming and given assistance to plan for the future. For example, France notes that there are currently not enough pineapples and tomatoes being produced and that more people are needed to specialise in these types of crops to help the prices go down.
With regard to organic farming, France explains that some pests are very resistant and sometimes he has no choice but to intervene with chemicals in order to destroy them. He believes that part of the solution for this particular problem is to reduce the amount of produce that is being imported in order to prevent more pests from entering the country.
Fertilisers are prone to sliding away on farms located on slopes and the heat also affects the quality of fertilisers. As a result, France explains that farmers constantly have to replace these nutrients and because of the high prices, farmers are hesitant to make use of organic fertilisers. He adds that it is therefore important to ensure that farming land is flat enough to sustain the fertilisers and that farmers have access to financing options to invest in the installation of sheds which help prevent excess heat from affecting the fertilisers.

Motivation to persevere
France remains motivated through his own strong will to succeed and finds strength in his family and God. He admits that he finds good returns in various forms from his chosen field, among these are the satisfaction of his customers and the financial security that farming provides for him and his family.
For the population, France adds that farming contributes to good nourishment of our people with fresh, local produce and enables them to know exactly where their food is coming from. The country’s economy also benefits as the money does not leak out of the country unnecessarily.

Advice
For the youth who are thinking of starting a career in agriculture, France reminds them that farming is not an easy job and it is not easy to make financial gains quickly. They need to find the courage to surmount these challenges if they want to pursue this as a career.
France advises those that are already part of the industry not to focus on competition but to focus on themselves, to be caring and supportive of others in the same field and to remain resilient and persevere.

The future
Speaking about his hopes for the future, France says that he would like to see farmers in Seychelles obtaining even more support so that they are able to increase their chances of being successful in their profession and in turn serve our communities/country better. France also has hope that his family will continue the work he has started and has been dedicated to for so many years.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=257346

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Lafwar agrikol - ‘Bringing local foods to the people’
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=257595

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 am

New market to be built on Bois de Rose Avenue
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=257629

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down