Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer

Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer

03-June-2014
Minister Adam‘Good leaders are those who can inspire others’

By B.P Damou

Many of our readers have expressed their wish to read about the other side of people who hold leadership positions or are involved in decision-making in our country. For the past few weeks, I have been covering events hosted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and meeting up frequently with Minister Jean-Paul Adam, I asked him if he would like to feature in our ‘Up Close’ page and he willingly obliged.

Childhood days and education

As his parents lived in United Kingdom, Jean-Paul Adam was born there and shortly after his birth his late father, former minister Ralph Adam, was appointed the Seychelles high commissioner in London. He came to Seychelles at such a very young age that he does not recall the exact year that they came.

He did his pre-school studies at the Sans Soucis and Bel Air crèches before moving to Mont Fleuri school to do his six years of primary studies. He then went on to the Plaisance school to do his four years of secondary schooling.

At that time the National Youth Service (NYS) was still in operation so he went there to continue his studies before qualifying to move to the Seychelles Polytechnic. From the Seychelles Polytechnic he went to Sheffield University in London where he did his first Degree in English and French Literature. He did not stop there as he moved on to Manchester University to obtain his Masters.

“I was a very obedient child and I believe that the way I was brought up has formed my character,” Minister Adam said.

He added that although he was an active child, he was never up to mischief that would get him into trouble but as is the case with every child, there were times that he would get scolded by his parents.

“Being an active child I liked to take part in different activities – mainly sports and activities that had to do with my studies. And I am so grateful to have parents who were interested and supported me in everything that I decided to do,” Minister Adam said with gratitude.

Interest in swimming

Many of our readers will remember Minister Adam during the days that he competed for Seychelles in swimming.

“I have always loved water; I remember my mum told me that she and my father were so scared that my brother and I would drown that she made sure we learned how to swim at a very young age,” Minister Adam said smiling.

Most athletes take up a sport that they love or feel passionate about! But for Minister Adam it is a different story.

“I remember I was around nine years old and I was at a birthday party when I ran into a sliding door and my ligament in my left knee was severed. My leg was in cast for three months. And as my leg was immobilised for that long, I was ordered to have physiotherapy to help it gain back its strength. My muscular strength in that leg had become weak and my thigh was thinner than the other. And as therapy I was recommended to go swimming. I was swimming several times per week and at that time there was a competition that was being held and I was asked to compete,” Minister Adam said.

During the competition for the first time there was an international coach who was in Seychelles to help put together a national swimming team.

“That was my first swimming competition and I finished second. I remember at that time all the swimming competitions took place at the Sheraton Mahé Beach and Beau Vallon Bay hotel and we trained in the sea. The coach, who was a Russian, was asked to look for potential swimmers to build the team and I was among those who were chosen and that was in 1987,” Minister Adam recalled with excitement as if he was reliving good memories.

The coach saw the potential in Minister Adam and he was chosen along with Kenny Roberts, Pierre-André Adam, Fabien Antat, Ivan Roberts and others.

“As we started the team we had to train at the Beau Vallon beach; it was difficult as we had to contend with rough seas sometimes as well as jelly fish; and we even saw a shark once while training. But despite all of this, the experience made it fun for us,” Minister Adam said.

“We took part in our first competition one year after the team was formed. We went to compete in the African Championship in Zimbabwe,” he noted.

As a sportsman everyone has their competition that has marked them and for Minister Adam it’s the 1993 Indian Ocean Island Games (IOIG) where he won his first medal and it was a silver.

“But five years later, during the IOIG 1998, we came out with a strong team and for the first time in the history of the Games Seychelles won a gold medal in swimming, and that was by Kenny Roberts in the 200m medley. But every competition has its own memories that I cherish,” he added.

At a certain point in life everyone has to make a decision that can change one’s life forever and for Minister Adam he made his after the IOIG 2003 when he decided to quit swimming and concentrate more in his work.

“I do not regret my decision as I competed in four IOIGs and the Olympics but the thing that I really have appreciated during the days that I swam was the friendship that I have built over the years,” Minister Adam said with enthusiasm.

Career life

Minister Adam started his career in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a diplomatic officer.

“When I started my attachment it was the year that I lost my father. Before he died we talked about the fact that it never crossed my mind to follow in his footsteps. As a child of a minister, I understood the responsibilities that being a minister comes with,” Minister Adam said.

In 2005 President James Michel appointed him to work in his office. “When I started to work in the Office of the President, President Michel was already working on his new economic reform plan and he shared with me his vision for Seychelles. While there by his side during the transformation and the changes he was making to achieve his vision for Seychelles, he asked me to take a post in his cabinet of ministers and I found myself accepting it willingly,” Minister Adam explained.

Taking this big decision and being a family man at the same time, how does he balance the two. “Actually the two relates; as any father I want the best for my family. As I took the decision to serve the government I took an oath to do my best to help in taking decision that will be in everybody’s interest which includes my family’s,” he noted.

Minister Adam also took the opportunity to thank all those who have helped him in being what he is today.

“My parents were always there beside my brother and I; they were there to support us in whatever we decided to do, be it sports or our education. And I feel gratitude towards them and all those who have supported me throughout my life to where I am today,” Minister said with appreciation.

As a person who has become a minister at a young age he has this piece of advice for the young people: “Leadership is not a post, leadership is a way of thinking and a way to inspire others. The best leaders are not always the people who has a post in decision-making but those who can inspire others and we can always see that teachers are the best leaders; as well as nurses, doctors, people who are always helping in the community as they can make others change their perception of life and behaviour.”

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=241887

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Finance minister hails Seychelles’ projected economic growth by IMF

Post  Sirop14 Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Finance minister hails Seychelles’ projected economic growth by IMF

06-November-2015

The Minister for Finance, Trade and the Blue Economy, Jean-Paul Adam, has hailed the latest report by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on the Seychelles economy.
The IMF has said Seychelles’ economic growth has been projected at 4.3 percent for 2015, up from the predicted 3.5 percent indicated in March.
Minister Adam said this confirms that even if there are certain persistent instabilities in the world economy related to the regress of the Chinese economy which is creating certain impacts on demand for commodity and hence developing countries, Seychelles has reinforced its resilience and has wisely used this opportunity to create other opportunities in the country’s economy to reinforce its performance.
The IMF cited strong tourist arrivals and expansion of credit to the private sector as main reasons for the new projected economic growth.
Minister Adam also commended the country’s recent upgrade to largely compliant status Peer Review Group (PRG) in Barbados last October in matters relating to tax transparency and exchange of information.
He said there are proof the country is forging ahead in its economic development and also a sign we are on the right path in implementing the necessary standards set by the Global Forum Secretariat and the Organisation for Economic Corporation and Development (OECD) to help jurisdictions to efficiently implement the international tax standards.
Minister Adam, accompanied by finance officials in his ministry and those of the FSA (Financial Services Authority) and Seychelles Revenue Commission (SRC), was speaking to the press earlier this week.
The IMF statement published on its website last week came at the end of the visit of an IMF mission to Seychelles to conduct the third review under the Extended Fund Facility (EFF) arrangement with Seychelles. The EFF is aimed at reducing the country’s high debt levels while at the same time strengthening macroeconomic stability, reducing Seychelles’ vulnerabilities, and supporting wide-ranging structural reforms for sustained and inclusive growth.
Seychelles was upgraded to largely compliant status by the OECD in October after the country presented its supplementary review to the group in Paris in September after it was given non-compliant ratings in certain areas by the PRG in 2013, but it was allowed a review in March 2015.
To correct the deficiencies in relation to the availability of information, Seychelles amended the International Business Companies Act (IBC Act) to abolish bearer shares and to require all share registers to be kept at the international business company’s (IBC) registered office in Seychelles so as to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the FSA monitoring process. The IBC Act was also amended to increase the penalty fee in instances of non-compliance.
Reflecting on the positive forecast of the economy, Minister Adam said this reflects the very positive performances in the tourism sector but it also reflects the fact that Seychelles is also creating opportunities for businesses, both big and small, and are in conformity with the country’s strategy for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
“This is what we want to consolidate in the budgetary process for 2016,” said the minister, adding that it is an opportune time for us to make maximum use of the current low cost of energy to consolidate this growth.
Even if the country’s economic performance is recording growth and therefore moving in the right direction and banks have made some improvements regarding access to credit through our SME scheme for example, Minister Adam remarked there’s still a challenge regarding access to credit from commercial banks.
He said they are not doing enough and therefore not moving on par with the economic growth.
Discussions are still ongoing with banks in that area for a compromise and mechanisms through the Central Bank will be put in place to make things move better.
He also talked on the ongoing discussions with parastatals which his ministry informed the IMF about, and where those companies are also consolidating their positions during this favourable low price of commodities and of energy.
The minister also talked about the Global Forum and OECD rating of 2013 relating to tax transparency and exchange of information and also when Seychelles started to review its legislation to be in conformity with the expectations and regulations of such organisations.
He also mentioned the period Seychelles became a signatory to the Multilateral Convention on Mutual Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters in 2015 and the FSA’s reinforcement of its surveillance on companies and corporate service providers.
“Therefore as a result of our hard work and amended regulations, legislation and the handing over of our supplementary report in September 2015 after the non- compliance rating one and a half years ago, it has allowed us to be confirmed as largely compliant during the last review meeting in Barbados in October,” said Minister Adam.
He added the country’s strategy is about offering a service on international standard which instills confidence in all businesses, be it local or foreign, which do business here.
He also informed all present that even if Seychelles has successfully passed the OECD Phase 2 review, a lot of countries have not done so.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247387

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Ceps and Ministry of Finance holds pre-budget dialogue

Post  Sirop14 Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Ceps and Ministry of Finance holds pre-budget dialogue

06-November-2015

Leading up to the presentation of the 2016 National Budget, the platform for civil society, Ceps, has once again been given the opportunity to discuss areas of priority with officials from the Ministry of Finance.
Members of the Ceps board attended a meeting chaired by the Minister for Finance, Trade and the Blue Economy Jean Paul Adam, alongside the principal secretary for Finance, Patrick Payet, as part of the pre-budget consultative process.
Through the dialogue, Ceps board members who are also commissioners of key thematic areas within the platform, were able to talk of the various issues currently affecting the different sectors within civil society.
Taking into consideration that the biggest portion of the national budget goes to health and education ministries, Ceps representatives shared that there was a need for accountability for quality education and the improvement in the services and treatment offered in health care services.
It was proposed that more funding be made available towards programmes in both ministries.
Talking of the environment, ideas brought forward were linked to the need to educate citizens especially now that that we are championing the Blue Economy.
Ceps representatives also lobbied for funding to be made available for programmes in the social sector. In the past civil society has been entrusted with funding in aid of social programmes, therefore the meeting proved to be an opportunity to propose that such a programme be reintroduced. This will help organisations within the civil society, who are working at grass root level, to contribute towards alleviating social ills and those empowering citizens within communities.
The meeting was also an opportunity to raise concern over the areas where funding is currently lacking; areas where civil society can conduct programmes but will require help from the government.
Ceps board members invited the Ministry of Finance to help in building the capacity of civil society in monitoring sectorial expenses as part of social audits. This in itself will empower civil society to not only promote good governance but have the skills to enable it to act as a watch dog.
In that line, the Ceps treasurer spoke of budget allocation for Ceps, especially allocation for planned 2016 programmes which aim to not only build members’ capacity but also strengthen the sector through the platform.
In his intervention, the Minister for Finance spoke of how the Programme Performance Based Budgeting (PPBB) currently being piloted, aims to target key areas that need to be focused.
He said this programme aims at getting governmental departments to prioritise and will allow for strategies to be put in place within the various sectors.
On behalf of the Ceps delegation, Ceps vice-chairperson Jude Fred expressed satisfaction following the discussions and said this was truly a great opportunity for the platform and that Ceps will engage its members in becoming part of this discussion.
Following the meeting, it was agreed by both parties that this be a permanent ongoing dialogue between the Ministry of Finance and civil society through Ceps.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247383

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Newly appointed health minister conducts familiarisation tour of hospital

Post  Sirop14 Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Newly appointed health minister conducts familiarisation tour of hospital

http://nation.sc/article.html?id=251691

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Anse Royale Hospital to have new roof and refurbished dental services soon

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Anse Royale Hospital to have new roof and refurbished dental services soon
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=254833

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Re: Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm

‘Maison Hermitage’ becomes new health administration block
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=257287

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer Empty Re: Up Close … with Jean-Paul Adam, Minister for Foreign Affairs/swimmer

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Hats off to Ministry of Health
16-January-2018
It is with great pleasure that the Seychelles Civil Society (SCS) on behalf of the people of Seychelles wishes to pass on our profound congratulations to the health workers, the nurses, doctors and everyone involved in keeping the plague from contaminating our nation. The team who worked at the forefront must receive some kind of award and recognition for their bravery and quick reaction that saved the plague from Madagascar from contaminating our small island state and in particular we wish to thank Dr Meggy Louange and Dr Jude Gedeon for their dedication in making sure the plague that threatened our nation was dealt with appropriately and timely otherwise we could have found ourselves in deep trouble. The plague is more devastating than a swarm of locus.
When things go wrong we are quick to complain but when things go the right way we tend to be complacent and accept it as though it is the norm but believe me, had this crisis not been properly and appropriately handled and dealt with, today we would be going round wondering if anyone in our family and close friends have been contaminated with the disease or not and the fear level to even hug someone, leave aside kiss your close family and relatives, would not have been a pretty situation for us to have found ourselves in. I am not a prophet of doom but I am an advocate that prevention and appropriate action can save lives and property because accidents don’t just happen; usually in 99% of cases of an accident a human being or several or the authority has been negligent and has caused the accident.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=257309

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down