Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016:

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Eleksyon lezislativ 2016:

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:20 am

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016:

09-June-2016

Zabitan Persévérance pou vot dan distrik kot zot in anrezistre

Apre plizyer diskisyon e diferan komanter sorti kot bann parti politik ek piblik an zeneral lo sa Msye Govindensize, i aprezan ofisyel ki pour eleksyon lezislativ ki sipoze fer plitar sa lannen, bann zabitan Ile Persévérance ki kalifye pour vote pou vot dan distrik kot zot in anrezistre.
Sa i parey ti leka pour eleksyon prezidansyel ki ti fer an Desanm lannen pase.
Pour bann dimoun ki’n ganny 18-an apre dernyen eleksyon e bann ki ti aletranze e ki pou napa trwa mwan depi ki zot pe reste Persévérance ler eleksyon i arive, zot pou vot dan distrik kot zot ti pe reste avan, oubyen avan ki zot ti kit pei.
En eleksyon pour elekte en manm Lasanble Nasyonal pour Ile Persévérance tousel pou sepandan ganny organize avan 1-an apre ki sa landrwa in ofisyelman vin en distrik elektoral.
Prokirer Zeneral Rony Govinden in eksplike akoz ki anba lalwa, bann voter lo sa zil konble pa pou kapab vot pour en reprezantan pour zot distrik pandan prosen eleksyon. Sa i akoz menm si Lasanble Nasyonal in deza vote pour ki Ile Persévérance i vin en distrik, menm si sa in ganny aprouve par Prezidan e in gazete dan Gazet Ofisyel, i pou selman kapab vin en distrik elektoral apre ki Lasanble Nasyonal i dizourd.
Anmenmtan, lalwa i dir ki fodre ou reste dan en distrik elektoral pandan omwen trwa mwan pour ou kapab vote dan sa distrik. Sa pa pou leka pour bann zabitan Persévérance avan prosen elsksyon i fer, akoz Komisyon Eleksyon i bezwen fer eleksyon avan trwa mwan apre ki Lasanble in dizourd.
Prokirer Zeneral in azoute ki si i pa ti’n pran sa desizyon, i ti pou’n bezwen propoz en lamandman dan Konstitisyon pour ki bann dimoun ki kalifye pour vote Persévérance i kapab egzers zot drwa. Sepandan in dir ki i pa’n vwar nesesite pour sanz Konstitisyon, akoz napa mal ladan e i pa en dokiman ki ou zwe avek bonnavini.
«Sa solisyon i meyer alternativ, akoz otreman sa bann dimoun pa ti pou kapab vote. Sa pa ti pou byen pour nou demokrasi ek nou bann valer demokratik,» i ti ensiste.
Lo kestyon si sa bann zabitan pa pou pe vot de fwa pour menm Lasanble lefe ki en lot eleksyon pou fer Persévérance plitar, Msye Govinden ti dir ki sa i arive dan en eleksyon parsyel oubyen ‘bye election’ an angle, kot en manm lasanble i mor oubyen demisyonnen. Sa i menm si sa ka spesifik Persévérance i kapab konsern en gran kantite dimoun, konpare avek eleksyon parsyel. I ti azoute ki sa pa afekte prensip «en dimoun, en vot» e ki i okontrer donn tou dimoun sans vote. I ti osi rezet posibilite ki sa desizyon i kapab anfaver okenn parti politik ki kapab annan plis siporter Persévérance e ki pou ganny posibilite vot de fwa pour menm Lasanble e pour de kandida diferan.
«Mon motivasyon pa politik, me legal,» Msye Govinden ti presize, an azoutan ki i pa ti pou posib pour par egzanp fer sa bann dimoun vot dan distrik vwazen Rivière Anglaise oubyen Anse Etoile, akoz sa «ti pou poz en problenm dan lekilib bann distrik».
Sa opsyon ti pou osi nesesit ki rezis voter i sanze. Sa ti pou osi aplike si bann zabitan Persévérance pa ti pou partisip dan eleksyon ki pe vini an votan dan zot distrik, me plito esper en sel eleksyon apre ki sa distrik i vin ofisyel. Dan sa enn ka, Komisyon Eleksyon ti pou bezwen tanporerman tir zot non lo lalis voter.
Lo si ti napa posibilite pour konmans prosesis pour ki Ile Persévérance i vin en distrik elektoral pli boner pour ki son bann zabitan i ganny sans elekte zot prop Manm Lasanble dan prosen eleksyon, Prokirer Zeneral ti rezet sa responsabilite lo Komisyon Eleksyon, an dizan ki egzekitif napa kontrol lo desizyon ki sa komisyon i pran.
«Si Komisyon Eleksyon pa’n soumet son rapor avan, gouvernman pa pou kapab fer nanryen,» Msye Govinden ti konklir.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249748

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty LDS objects to Bill on electoral arrangement for Perseverance

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm

LDS objects to Bill on electoral arrangement for Perseverance

10-June-2016
Linyon Demokratik Seselwa (LDS) has objected to the Bill drawn up by the Attorney General’s Office to amend the Elections Act to make provision for residents of Perseverance to vote in other districts once again for the forthcoming National Assembly elections.
Likewise, it has also objected to the decision of the Electoral Commission to submit a proposal to that effect instead of acting on other solutions which it says would have “better served the interests of democracy and a proper electoral process”.
The Bill makes provision for the residents of the district to vote in the electoral area in which they formerly resided and for another election to be held in Ile Perseverance itself within a year after the dissolution of the present National Assembly.
“This arrangement is being implemented despite the repeated requests for Ile Perseverance residents to be registered to vote in their own electoral area. It will distort the electoral process in that the residents of Perseverance will be voting twice in two different electoral areas and for two different members of the National Assembly,” says LDS in a communiqué.
“The action of the Attorney General is only manipulating the law to allow for an irregular procedure which does not respect the spirit of democracy. It ignores the only correct solution to the problem which would be for amendments to the law to allow the Ile Perseverance area to be fully established immediately. The problem has been caused only by a failure of President James Michel to meet his responsibilities to complete the creation of the electoral area,” adds the communiqué.
LDS has called on the Attorney General to reconsider and to seek other solutions to resolve the problem.
“Given the situation that has arisen, the only proper arrangement will be for residents not to vote in other electoral areas but for the electoral process to be started for an election to be held in Ile Perseverance in the shortest possible delay, even if not together with the other districts in the forthcoming elections,” LDS suggests in its communiqué.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249751

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Re: Eleksyon lezislativ 2016:

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:01 am

LDS March beginning...
Stadium carpark... 11th June 2016...

https://www.facebook.com/allen.g.comettant/videos/10209055721335217/

https://www.facebook.com/serge.rouillon.5/videos/10154207069467698/

https://www.facebook.com/stella.afif/videos/1558468691121950/

https://www.facebook.com/allen.g.comettant/videos/10209053645003310/

https://www.facebook.com/allen.g.comettant/videos/10209053592281992/

https://www.facebook.com/stella.afif/videos/1558467464455406/

Wavel Ramkalawan addresses an LDS crowd at Stad Popiler June 11, 2016
https://youtu.be/9RBIpUHuyD4

Patrick Pillay speaks after the march of Jun 11 2016 at Stad Popiler
https://youtu.be/RnnBgS9Ry5c

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty National Assembly election process starts today

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:12 pm

National Assembly election process starts today

11-June-2016
The Electoral Commission has announced that the process leading to the next National Assembly election starts today, June 11, 2016.
“In accordance with Article 79 (1) of the Constitution of Seychelles a general election shall be held during the period starting at the beginning of the fifty-seventh month and ending at the end of the fifty-ninth month of a session of the National Assembly, thus the starting date of June 11, 2016. The Electoral Commission will in the near future announce the dates of the National Assembly election and also the date for nomination of candidates,” a communiqué from the office of the Electoral Commission says.
The Electoral Commission is reminding all citizens of 18 years and above to verify their status on the electoral register. Voters can check their status by visiting the registration centres during working hours from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
A special call is being made to first time voters who have turned 18 since the beginning of 2016 and who have not yet registered: they must call at the registration centres to register their names so that they may exercise their constitutional right to vote and elect their representative in the forthcoming National Assembly election.
The Electoral Commission advises prisoners who have been released to verify their status on the voters’ register and in the event their names are not on the register to apply for registration.
The Electoral Commission also informs all voters and citizens that the registers of voters will, in accordance with article 8 (1A) (a) and article 13 (1), of the Elections Act, close for registration, transfers and or change of names immediately upon announcement of the dates of the National Assembly election.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249780

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Well done guys!!!!!!Yess!!!!!!

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:32 am

Well done guys!!!!!!Yess!!!!!!
Ahmed Afif
The constitutional court has just granted a stay of execution against the order to strike off Wavel Ramkalawan on the register of voters. Father WILL be a candidate and a voter in the next national assembly elections. Nou pa pou zanmen les tonbe! LONG LIVE LDS!

Comment - facebook

Robin Johnston It should never have happened in the beginning it now shows that the whole judgment is in question!!
Another win for LDS and more to come!!

Jocelyn Jumeau I am so,so happy to heard that from you Serge and we should all THANKS Mr,George the LDS lawyer for his huge effort that he made to win that case.

Joseph David Fletcher Sinon God is always good, he punishes all in good time. Never lose hope.. Stay united and support your chosen leader.. God bless you all.

Joseph David Fletcher Sinon Well done to George, the lawyer.

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty The Constitutional Court has granted a stay of execution against the order to strike off Wavel Ramkalawan’s name from the Register of Voters.

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:56 am

The Constitutional Court has granted a stay of execution against the order to strike off Wavel Ramkalawan’s name from the Register of Voters.

In its ruling in the case against Michel's election win on 31st May the Court found that the Seychelles National Party (SNP) presidential candidate, was guilty of illegal practice and said it will issue a report to that effect to the Electoral Commission which, it declares, will lead to Mr. Ramkalawan being struck off the Electoral Register.
His lawyer George said he found it strange that Court has named many irregularities on the other side, but has decided to punish the petitioner.
Mr. Georges then proceeded to file a stay of execution to grant Mr. Ramkalawan time to appeal the decision.
Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey and Judge Dan Akiiki-Kiiza this morning agreed to grant the order saying failure to do so will prejudice the petitioner’s political career.
Mr. George said the decision will give his client ‘some breathing space.’

Le Seychellois hebdo

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty 2016 Legislative Election - LDS insists that all districts vote together

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:32 pm

2016 Legislative Election - LDS insists that all districts vote together

14-June-2016

The Lalyans Demokratik Seselwa (LDS) has once more reacted against the proposal made by the Attorney General (AG) for voters residing on Ile Persévérance to vote in the district where they are now registered in the forthcoming legislative election and to vote again after the new district is declared an electoral area.
AG Ronny Govinden last week announced that his office is proposing an amendment in the law which will permit residents of the reclaimed island to vote in their former districts, ensuring their right to vote in the process. The National Assembly is supposed to vote on the Bill today while the LDS is calling on the AG not to put it before the people’s representatives. In case this first demand is not heard, the alliance of opposition parties is asking the members of the National Assembly (MNAs) and eventually the country’s president who will have to approve it, to consider how its consequences can affect democracy.
If their demand is not heard, LDS leaders have announced that they will bring the case to the Constitutional Court as a last resort.
In a press conference held at Arpent Vert yesterday afternoon, they insisted that if the Bill is passed, it will permit voters from Persévérance to vote twice in the same election and for two different candidates in two different electoral areas.
“The Bill being proposed by the AG does not reply to electoral exigencies and will distort the electoral process as it will permit people to vote twice. As a legal principle you do not pass a law just to satisfy a situation. You pass a law to satisfy everybody,” said LDS lawyer Bernard Georges, who went on to describe it as unconstitutional.
To further prove his point, Mr Georges argued that the process should be guided by three constitutional principles. Those are that all persons above the age of 18 should be able to vote in an election; all votes must be of equal value; and that the number of districts cannot change during an Assembly’s mandate, as this will change the balance of power in the Assembly. This is why he added that a National Assembly election should only be held after the dissolution of the last Assembly.
“If we look at those three principles, it means that people should vote once, in one electoral area and after the dissolution of the Assembly. So the best way is for them to vote in their district once it has become an electoral area. The best solution is a change in the Law to permit all districts to vote together,” Mr Georges emphasised.
He went on to refute the AG’s statement that the “one man one vote” principle will not be affected as is the case for bye elections.
“The AG’s argument has no substance. Bye elections are different as they generally involve the same voters. Now a large group of people will vote in another place for the same MNA, in the same Assembly. In bye elections the number of voters concerned is minimal. Here, a whole district is being called to vote twice,” he insisted.
Also qualifying the AG’s proposal as unacceptable, LDS chairman Roger Mancienne added that they have proposed the solution to the Electoral Commission (EC) which has accepted it.
“The EC has said that all 26 districts should vote together in the same election. This means that the EC is ready to organise elections in Persévérance along with the other districts,” he stated, adding that “government sees an electoral advantage for the ruling party” in the alternative it is proposing.
He felt that as was the case when Roche Caïman became a new electoral area in 1998, the process could have been engaged on time in order to satisfy all requirements as prescribed by law.
“The process started last year and the draft order from the president was approved by the National Assembly. However, only this year and after an opposition campaign that he approved and gazetted the change.”
In the eventuality that the amendment is approved, LDS has however made it clear that it is not envisaging a boycott of the election. We are thus far away from the repeat of the 2011 scenario when the main opposition party – the Seychelles National Party (SNP) - boycotted the legislative election. This paved the way for the Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) to gain sufficient votes for its leader David Pierre to replace SNP’s Wavel Ramkalawan as Leader of the opposition in the National Assembly.
In the eventuality of another court case after the Constitutional Court has recently dismissed petitions brought by Mr Ramkalawan against the results of last December’s presidential election which President Michel narrowly won against him, Mr Mancienne has joined Mr Georges in expressing confidence in the Court.
“We have confidence in the Constitutional Court. We are engaged in democracy and must respect the courts. A decision not in your favour is no reason to lose confidence in the Judiciary,” he said.
On a larger note, Mr Georges has however stressed on the need for constitutional reforms, regretting that more than 100 proposals made in 2008 have not yet been put into practice.
“The constitutional stability is always in question and this is not good for the country. We are always creating doubt and halting democratic development,” the lawyer said.
“The country is crying out for reforms,” he concluded.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249816

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:23 pm

https://youtu.be/QXAEGYnaX4w

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Assembly approves amendment to Election Act

Post  Sirop14 Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Assembly approves amendment to Election Act

15-June-2016
Members of the majority party in the National Assembly has unanimously approved amendments to the Elections Act to allow residents of Ile Perseverance to take part in the forthcoming National Assembly election which is expected to take place before their declared electoral area comes into operation.
The members also approved to amend section 12 of the Election Act to make it possible to hold the same election on Ile Perseverance within a year after it has become an electoral area.
The leader of the opposition in the National Assembly Franchasca Monnaie was not present at yesterday morning’s session.
First time voters living on Ile Perseverance who have just turned 18 and whose names do not feature on the voters’ list will now have to go and register their names to vote in the district from which they originate if they want to exercise their right in the forthcoming National Assembly election.
Presenting the Bill Vice-President Danny Faure pointed out that at present it is clear to everyone that there are on Ile Perseverance two district administration offices -- Ile Perseverance 1 and Ile Perseverance 2 -- but there is to date no electoral area.
“It is important that we do not confuse districts with electoral areas. At present there are 25 electoral areas and Ile Perseverance is not officially an electoral area until the dissolution of the Assembly,” Vice-President Faure explained.
He noted that the amendment provides the best solution to the situation on hand.
He added that this is a constitutional matter which cannot be shortcut to change the important article 116 (5) of our Constitution.
Ile Perseverance has been declared a new electoral area under the Presidential Order S.I. 29 of 2016. However this order shall come into force on the next dissolution of the National Assembly in accordance with article 116 (5) of the Constitution and this is in October 2016.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249830

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty 2016 Legislative Election: Ramkalawan will be able to stand!

Post  Sirop14 Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:16 pm

2016 Legislative Election: Ramkalawan will be able to stand!

15-June-2016
It has now been confirmed that Seychelles National Party (SNP) leader Wavel Ramkalawan will be able to stand as a candidate in the legislative election scheduled for later this year.
The question the whole nation seemed to have been asking for the last two weeks was will the Constitutional Court order the Electoral Commission (EC) to strike the six-time presidential candidate and former leader of the opposition in the National Assembly off the voters’ register and prevent him from taking part in any elections for the next five years.
This was after the Court had ruled that Mr Ramkalawan was guilty of illegal practices prior to last December’s presidential election which he narrowly lost against current president James Michel. The ruling had followed two petitions which the Anglican priest had himself filed against the election results, on the base that the election had been marred by irregularities. The EC, President Michel and the Attorney General (AG) were cited as respondents.
Even if the Court accepted that the irregularities had taken place, it however ruled that they were not committed by Mr Michel’s agents and thus did not affect the election results.
In what opposition supporters present at the Supreme Court yesterday described as a victory for their leader, the Constitutional Court granted a stay of execution against the order to strike off Wavel Ramkalawan on the register of voters. The ruling which was read by Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey means that the order will not be sent to the EC until after the case is heard by the Court of Appeal and if only this highest court confirms the decision of the Constitutional Court.
The Court also rejected an application from the election petitions’ second respondents lawyer Basil Hoareau and the AG which had argued that the application for stay of execution was immature.
Lawyer Bernard Georges who had appealed against the findings of the Court of Appeal to send the report to the EC and who stood alongside his colleague Antony Derjacques to represent Mr Ramkalawan, has refused to consider this last development as a “victory”, and has rather qualified it as a “merit”.
“The case has been won on merit as the application had its merit. The Court has considered a balance of hardships as if Mr Ramkalawan could not stand in the coming election and would then win his appeal, it would not be possible to have new election and this would have equaled to a hardship,” he explained.
He was here also referring to the case of Viral Dhanjee who was disqualified as a presidential candidate and in 2011 won an appeal against the decision, only after the election had been held.
Mr Georges is also mindful of the ruling in favour of his client as a temporary relief, as the final decision will be taken by the Court of Appeal.
The Constitutional Court’s ruling may however also bring some hope to the seasoned lawyer and his client, as it said that other than the hardships the appellant may suffer, the grant of stay of execution is based on the chances of success of the appeal
Mr Ramkalawan has been named the representative of Lalyans Demokratik Seselwa (LDS) for English River, giving strong indications that he will be candidate for the opposition alliance in the central Mahé district.
Immediately after the Court ruling, Vice-President of opposition party LDS Ahmed Afif posted the following words which speak volume on his face book page:
“Father WILL be a candidate and a voter in the next National Assembly elections!” Meanwhile, other persons who are suspected of illegal practices during the last presidential elections are to appear before the Constitutional Court on Tuesday June 28. They also face the possibility of having their names stricken off the voters’ register, even if lawyers are arguing that this is only possible in cases of severe criminal conviction.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249826

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty This law is an ass.

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:55 am

This law is an ass.

A district is created after the electoral commission having regard to the requirement of the constitution that there shall be equal number of inhabitants in each electoral area, recommends to the president and the national assembly to declare Perservance an electoral area (the constitutional term for a district) because adding its population to neighboring districts would make them unequal in number of inhabitants. To create a district there has to be a permanent population - that is why outlying islands are not districts. When a district is created by order gazetted by the president on 29th April, 2016 its permanent inhabitants automatically have the right to elect an MNA to the National Assembly who, the constitution says , will take his or her rightful place in the assembly when the existing assembly is dissolved. In other words a bye-election cannot be beheld to elect an MNA in the current session of the assembly for Perseverance. It does not say an election cannot be held for that seat before the assembly is dissolved. In fact the Constitution (Article 79) says a general election shall be held before the existing national assembly is dissolved. A general election is an election in all the districts which according to the order published in the gazette on 29th April numbers 26 with 23 on Mahe. The Constitution also says this constitution must be read as a whole. The attorney general and the electoral commission have made their own interpretation of the constitution and read one article to the exclusion of another which requires him to hold a general election before the current session of the assembly ends. It must be challenged in the constitutional court. The constitution is above any law passed in the national assembly. If the Attorney General, the Electoral Commission and the Speaker of the National Assembly are honorable people they should send this law to the Constitutional Court to determine if it's constitutionally correct.

Comment Facebook
Absolute joke!! These people are retarded and its perplexing why they consistently celebrate their stupidity!!! Their stupidity and their nonsense has become 'normal' It's high time they were all in jail.

I can't quite work out if our constitution is the problem or these idiots failure to interpret it properly...we are always fighting for things that shouldn't be an issue in the first place! 😡

The constitution is never the problem unless we want to change the contract with the electorate or the people. Otherwise we are compelled to do everything in accordance with the constitution. If there is any dispute in the interpretation of a clause the constitutional court is the body that interprets it.

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Solidarity march highlights dangers of drug abuse

Post  Sirop14 Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:13 am

Solidarity march highlights dangers of drug abuse

25-June-2016

A march was organised yesterday to commemorate the International Day against Drug Abuse and illicit Trafficking which is celebrated on July 26.
Held under the theme ‘Mon reste rezilyan, mon fer bon swa pour mon lavi’, the march was organised by the Campaign for Awareness, Resilience & Education against substance abuse (Care).
Many schools around Mahé -- from primary to secondary -- took part in the march which also saw the presence of the Minister for Social Affairs, Community Development and Sports Vincent Meriton and the chairperson of Care, Sarah Rene.
Also in attendance was Miss Seychelles … Another World 2016 Christine Barbier and her two princesses -- Samiya Albert and Lianne Barbé.
Care says the objective of the march is to encourage children and young people to make the right and positive choices in life so that they can stay resilient against temptations to use drugs.
The march, which started at the Freedom Square, wound its way through Manglier Street, 5th June Avenue, Palm Street, Albert Street, round the Clock Tower, Independence Avenue, 5th June Avenue, Manglier Street and back to Freedom Square.
Care aims to use the event as a national awakening to the threats of drug use and trafficking.
The accompanying photos show the march in full swing.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249958

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty A great opportunity for intergeneration groups to reflect on our Constitution

Post  Sirop14 Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:36 am

A great opportunity for intergeneration groups to reflect on our Constitution

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249977

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Seychelles report adopted at the UN Human Rights Council

Post  Sirop14 Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 am

Seychelles report adopted at the UN Human Rights Council

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249978

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Attention Seychellois overseas legible to vote. There are indications that the elections will be 9, 10 & 11 September 2016. As usual we are awaiting the 'surprise' announcement to be able to confirm this. Many responded to the country's call for those who are on the register and can make it back to Seychelles to please do so. Assembly results are first past the post. We need every single opposition vote to win an absolute majority. A sincere thank you again to all those who made it home last time and in advance for those who make it back home this time. You are heroes! Those abroad, if you would like to verify whether you are on the register or not (since the EC link does not work) please email ldssesel@gmail.com until it is fixed. For those in Seychelles check in your district or Try SMS:
SMS tou le onz (11) limero idantite lo 9600. Par egzanp "00744492132" e SMS li lo 9600. Mersi. IMPORTANT: WE WILL CONFIRM THE DATE AS SOON AS WE HAVE FIRM INFORMATION. THESE DATES ARE NOT CONFIRMED YET. ‪#‎seychelles‬

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Letter to the Editor

Post  Sirop14 Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Letter to the Editor

13-July-2016
What would happen to a country if its parliamentary
system was boycotted?
Five years ago, September 2011, an opposition party chose not to take part in the parliamentary elections, convincing at that time several other smaller parties and a few ‘independents’ as well to forgo the contest.
Having been in the previous parliament, they now sought to boycott what they called an unfair system altogether. The future of the parliament would be one without their inputs and without their support. That the parliament is a third pillar of the state, they perhaps thought that the house in our Third Republic would come to a standstill and not function? And if it did not function so to would the country?
Neither of course happened, rather what did happen was an ever engaged parliament, minus those who boycotted. And during this time of an engaged parliament what happened?
Well for sure we had increased economic activity, further political engagement and maturity by a segment of society, increased international approaches and agreements which better positioned the Seychelles, a successful fight against a piracy menace, more aviation commercial activity, increase of merchant shipping activity, better positioning fisheries and businesses operating within the market, more public housing, more housing in general, new investments in commercial property development, several new hotels, new legislation that placed the Seychelles favourably with not only the AU (African Union), but the EU (European Union), and the UN (United Nations) as well.
Let us not forget legislation that sought better working conditions and salaries, stronger social welfare, a 13-month salary, a progressive tax system which is now being implemented, continued improvements to health and education, a serious stance against drug addiction and the fight against drug trafficking in general, and of course a reduction of presidential term limits from three five-year mandates down to two mandates only. Need I mention encouraging access to the internet, the growth of social media, more openness and press freedoms? Of course I should!
Now as we process the original question asked and understanding the philosophy that propelled an opposition group to want to boycott and not work within an agreed process that brought about the Third Republic, even if prior they openly did participate, one wonders if they are truly intent at adding to a functioning Third Republic at this time, or do they have ulterior motives altogether again? Food for thought!
Everyone’s vote is indeed important. Our Third Republic deserves your support and confidence. What it does not deserve is for it to be continuously second guessed at by those who were never comfortable with it from the beginning, and for it at every turn to be ridiculed.

Raymond K. St Ange

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty TIME TO RING IN THE RADICAL CHANGES IN SEYCHELLES.

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:59 pm

TIME TO RING IN THE RADICAL CHANGES IN SEYCHELLES.
OPED by Ralph and Josette Hoarau.
As the political battle rages in Seychelles, we have heard the politicians talking a lot about change. It is clearly evident that after 40 years of inept, corrupt, often dictatorial and uninspiring governance under a regime bereft of ideas, that change is indeed long overdue and much needed. The question though is what changes do we envisage to improve the overall welfare and prosperity of the Seychellois nation as a whole?

Meaningful change would be policies outlining a long-term strategic vision that would bring about fundamental but positive upheavals that result in transformational life changing events for our own Seychellois population. There is a terminology in business that we call “disruptive” technologies. These are ideas or concepts that through their implementation result in radical transformation to the existing norm. For example Steve Jobs’ disruptive technologies with Apple completely changed the way the world communicates. Collectively as a nation we need to engage in a similar thought process when we talk about change in the Seychelles in terms of politics, governance, business enterprises and social justice.

For our political leader, the key vision of all my policies would be the long term empowerment of the Seychellois people in terms of their contribution to the future policies and governance of their country, the physical capital ownership of equity relating to their homes and industries/businesses and finally the acquisition of all the necessary educational skills and technical expertise to effectively manage and control the destiny of their own industrial and commercial enterprises, thus ensuring a positive contribution to the long term development of the country’s economy – In other words, a Seychelles which in majority would be owned and managed by Seychellois where local people can build successful enterprises while creating wealth and building equity that they can pass on to posterity.

As a manager and director in business enterprises, I have always believed in the philosophy of a participative and democratic style of leadership and management involving all employees, who I prefer to refer to as associates. My decisions are taken very often after meaningful consultation with my associates at all levels of the company. It would be productive to see the same relationship, in as much as possible, between leaders of government and the people, particularly in shaping key policies relating to the governance of the country. This could be achieved by collecting ideas from the grass roots through the local representatives. A special policy unit should be created that would sift through those ideas or suggestions, extract those that have value, are sensible and viable. Analysts would then process these so that the leadership can act upon them and eventually adopt and implement them as official policies. In that way a partnership would develop between the people and the government where ideas can flow from the people upwards and can be shared in a constructive manner at the national level for the betterment of the country as a whole. This would result in real democracy at work and what could be called participative government.

Our country’s two main industries are tourism and our maritime resources. This is where we should revolutionize the roles of our citizens in developing and managing those industries following the same theme of Seychellois equity ownership, executive management and operational roles throughout the whole process and where value will be added and preserved in Seychelles itself rather than in foreign ownership.

Let us look at tourism first. We should strategically rethink our tourism industry within this framework of ownership and management by Seychellois to provide the highest possible quality tourism infrastructure and services for a discerning high-end market with a distinctly creole touch and hospitality. We would propose to move away from large foreign owned hotels towards small to medium sized high quality, boutique type establishments wholly owned, managed and operated by Seychellois at all levels and where all associates in the establishment are actual equity stakeholders. The facilities would offer top quality, luxurious creole themed accommodation offering personal services where guests will experience firsthand real Seychellois warmth and hospitality that would live up to the slogan of “unique by 1000 miles”. The ownership model (equity for all stake holders) would motivate everyone to perform at his or her best and provide the best quality services because they would know that all their hard work would profit them directly and create wealth and equity for them and their families. People would see tangible proof of the fruits of their labours while simultaneously providing for their long-term security.
The government’s role would be two fold:

Firstly they would set up the criteria of standards and quality (in a similar way that franchise operations operate) for those boutique establishments. Inspectors would police the operations to ensure that standards are maintained at all times. Appropriate penalties would also be set for failing to meet standards. The financial management of the business would also be monitored to ensure the long-term growth and viability of those enterprises. In addition they would provide professional business consultancy services to ensure the maintenance of efficient and innovative management and operational methods, while keeping abreast of best international practices. This would create further opportunities for professional, specialized Seychellois owned management consultancy firms.

Secondly the government should play the key role together with private sector financial institution and perhaps international aid bodies to raise the funds to finance these operations. Long-term loans (similar to home mortgages) would be raised to finance the initial capital investment to build the hotels/guest houses and then these would be leased out (on a lease to own basis) to the management and other stakeholders who would pay back the loan (capital plus interest) from the flow of revenues. In that way the whole team of participants would build up their equity and grow their business as their loan burden decreases. It would empower Seychellois in all aspects, creating wealth and skills sets individually and for the nation because profitable businesses owned by competent Seychellois themselves would lead to more independence and security for the individuals while increasing tax revenues resulting in a wealthier country in general.
This could have been done at Eden Island for example. Instead of building luxury homes, the government should have built some top quality small to medium sized hotels/guesthouses that would have been leased out to Seychellois (as per the model outlined above). Today the country would be benefitting more because we would have created a group of equity owning Seychellois running their own business, building their wealth and independence while the state would be benefitting from a constant source of tax revenues.

A similar model could be applied to other sectors of the tourism industry such as game fishing, car hires, tour operators and the airline industry itself. For example the issue of Seychelles Airline where a group of Seychellois want to float their own airline company should be encouraged. However here it would be providential to see the same model where all associates right down to cabin crew are given the opportunity to become equity stakeholders in the business.

Similarly a complete review of the fishing industry should be undertaken with a view of increasing Seychellois ownership and management in that strategic sector of our economy. The government should create a financial infrastructure again in collaboration with private financial institutions to allow Seychellois access to long-term loans so that they can acquire the necessary assets to develop the fishing industry on an industrial scale. Here we foresee small to medium sized Seychellois owned and managed companies that own one or more industrial or specialized fishing vessels. Solutions should also be sought through government-funded research on industries that could add value to the fish right here on Seychelles soil for export.

The sea has other riches that can be exploited to create small-scale enterprises for Seychellois, such as the collection and processing of seaweed for various applications for the production of organic plant food/fertilizers, cosmetics, health foods and others. Where necessary the government should act as a facilitator to find international JV partners with special expertise to team up with Seychellois stake holders to build specialist value added industries in Seychelles, so that skills can be transferred to Seychellois for future development of our people and economy.

These two key industries (tourism and fishing) alone could provide a wealth of opportunities for the majority of Seychellois that would result in the fulfillment of a vision to empower and enrich the Seychellois people individually and as a nation – to make us truly proud, fulfilled and independent.

However to ensure fair distribution of wealth creating opportunities, we should also introduce effective anti-monopoly legislation to prevent the concentration of economic power and wealth in a few hands and the creation of monopolies or oligopolies. There should be an anti monopoly commission that would constantly police this and take effective action whenever necessary. The vision should be an equity owning society, involving opportunities for all Seychellois on a level playing where everyone can enjoy a fair piece of the “national resources pie”.

Crucial to the fulfillment of this vision, is a fundamental change of our education system where the values of hard work, responsibility, fairness, meritocracy and dexterity are imbued in our youth from the very start. For example we should introduce a module of financial management and prudence from early in the curriculum so that our youth understand the importance of such skills for them and for their family’s future prosperity. They should also have an understanding of how public finance works and their role and responsibilities as future taxpayers.

In general we need a proper liberalization of our economy. The criteria for the establishment and creation of businesses and licenses should be clearly set out and depoliticized. Our civil service should be professional and independent in carrying out their responsibilities in assisting the creation of businesses among their other duties. It should be at the service of every Seychellois without prejudice or recrimination.
Indeed radical, meaningfull changes are needed in our country, we need changes that will bring a fresh and modern grand vision based on meritocracy, liberty and social justice that will once and for all extinguish this current malignant and corrupt system of patronage, cronyism and nepotism installed by Albert Rene that has been perpetrated by his cronies since 5th June 1977. The real empowerment of our own people will invariably lead to a more united, contented and mature nation at peace with itself and confident that everyone is being given an equal opportunity to grow and prosper economically, socially and politically. Our opposition leaders need to enunciate those visionary changes clearly and loudly because this is what we want to hear and know about. Let us endeavour to really and truly make “SESEL POU SESELWA”.

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty National Assembly election set for September 8, 9, 10

Post  Sirop14 Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:06 pm

National Assembly election set for September 8, 9, 10

16-July-2016
Seychellois will be going to the polls again, this time to elect members of the National Assembly.
The Office of the Electoral Commission has set the dates for September 8, 9 and 10. This was published in an extraordinary issue of the Official Gazette dated Friday July 15, 2016.
The announcement is in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 13 of the Elections Act, 1995.
Voting on September 8 and 9 will be in respect of voters of all electoral areas who are on the outer islands. On September 8 and 10, voting will be for all electoral areas on Mahé and Praslin other than in respect of voters who are on the outer islands.
On September 8, 9 and 10 voting will be for inner islands.
Nomination day for the legislative election has been set for August 17, 2016.
On nomination day, candidates must submit their respective nomination papers supported by
a nomination form; a list of 50 supporters; two passport-size colour photographs and a digital copy; the candidate’s party symbol or in case of an independent candidate the colour adopted by that candidate, and a digital copy; a certificate from an officer of the respective political party authorising a candidate to act on behalf of that party; a certificate from the chairman of the Electoral Commission to the effect that the candidates have satisfied the requirements to provide security for R1,500.
The process will take place at the Electoral Commissioner’s headquarters at the National Library, Victoria between 9am and 1pm.
Meanwhile, in a notice published at its office, the Electoral Commission has said the voter registration is now closed with the announcement of the dates for the upcoming polls.
So far, only the ruling Parti Lepep has confirmed its list of candidates and it did so last Friday when it launched its campaign ahead of parliamentary election.
Nominations of the party’s 25 candidates were approved last Friday evening during an extraordinary congress at the International Conference Centre of Seychelles (ICCS).
Linyon Demokratik Seselwa is expected to announce its list of candidates during an extraordinary congress tomorrow at 3pm at the ICCS.
Meanwhile, on Thursday Linyon Sanzman announced the names of the party’s district representatives.
The Seychelles National Assembly consists of 32 members of which 25 are directly elected representing the 25 electoral districts in the country. Seven are proportionately elected.
The ruling party has won a majority in the assembly since the establishment of the Third Republic, which saw the return of a multi-party system in 1993.
In the last elections, all 25 directly elected seats were won by Parti Lepep which also holds six of the seven proportionately elected seats.
Franchesca Monnaie, the leader of the opposition in the National Assembly from the Popular Democratic Movement (PDM), currently holds the seventh proportional seat in the house.
PDM was the only contender alongside Parti Lepep in 2011 as the main opposition parties boycotted the election.
Parliamentary polls in Seychelles are held every five years. The last election took place between September 29 and October 1, 2011.

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Eleksyon Lasanble Nasyonal

Post  Sirop14 Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Eleksyon Lasanble Nasyonal

21-July-2016
SPM i konfidan ki i pou ganny en syez proporsyonnel

Msye Francourt, akonpannyen par Msye Rath ek Msye Larue, pandan konferans avek lapres yer

Nouvo parti politik Seychelles Patriotic Movement (SPM) i deza annan reprezantan pour 24 distrik ki’n pare pour sa eleksyon Lasanble Nasyonal ki pe aprose e zot konfidan ki zot pou ganny enn ou de syez proporsyonnel.
Se lider sa parti Regis Francourt ki ti dir sa pandan premye konferans lapres ki sa parti ti fer kot Chilli Bar, La Louise yer apremidi.

Osi prezan ti de manm egzekitiv SPM – sekreter zeneral Vincent Larue ek trezorye Jerry Rath.
Msye Larue ek Msye Rath ti travay avek Lalyans Seselwa oparavan e zot in deside zwenn sa nouvo mouvman dirize par Msye Francourt.

SPM ti resevwar zot sertifika lanrezistreman le 12 Zilyet e aprezan zot legalman kapab fer bann loperasyon.
Msye Francourt ti fer resorti ki retar ki zot in gannyen pour resevwar sa sertifika in fer ki zot pa’n ganny ase letan pour prepar zot parey bann lezot parti e malgre ki zot ti lo teren pour enpe letan, i annan serten keksoz ki zot pa ti pe kapab fer.

I ti osi dir i konfidan ki SPM pou ganny enn ou de plas proporsyonnel dan lasanble pour sa prosen eleksyon parlmanter.
“Nou konfidan dan sans ki nou lo teren e tou nou bann kandida i lo teren pe koz avek bann dimoun toulezour e en kantite bann siporter Lalyans Seselwa pe ofer nou zot sipor. En kantite ki ti avek Msye Pillay lo teren pe aprezan travay avek nou. Mon krwar ki i annan serten landrwa ki nou annan bon sans gannyen me mon konnen sa i difisil pour zot krwar,” i ti dir.

I ti dir ki sa i akoz direksyon ki Lalyans Seselwa in pran son bann siporter pa ti anvi swiv.
I ti dir ki si i ganny sa plas dan lasanble i oule fer en diferans dan prosesis demokratik.
“Pour konmanse nou’n dir ki nou manm Lasanble Nasyonal (MNA) pa pou vin pran lord avek mwan konman lider sa parti. Ler i vin dan lasanble i vin reprezant pwennvi sa bann dimoun dan distrik savedir sa i fors sa MNA pour sak fwa ki i annan en key vote dan lasanble i bezwen al koz avek bann dimoun pour rod zot lopinyon avan ki i vin vote akoz ki nou’n annan la i bann MNA ki’n vot pour zot prop lekor,” i ti dir.

En lot priyorite se pour retir divizyon e osi fer desann pri lavi atraver redwir pri manze akoz Sesel i enn bann pei pli ser dan lemonn.

I ti azoute ki son bann siporter i sorti dan tou parti tel ki Parti Lepep, SNP ek Lalyans Seselwa.
“Fodre realize ki SNP in sorti lo en nivo 46% e zot in desann dan dernyen eleksyon pour ariv 35% e i vreman kler ki sa parti i lo en decline, e sa bann siporter pe rod en lot brans pour zot vin apoz lo la akoz zot pa kontan avek direksyon ek lentonasyon ki sa parti pe prozekte,” Msye Francourt ti dir.

Lo bann diferan alegasyon ki pe ganny fer kont Msye Francourt i ti dir ki i pa fatig li avek sa akoz i pa vre.
“Sa ki mon dir avek mon tim se reste ‘focused’ akoz sa se bann pti distraksyon. Zis parey si ou anvi fer en keksoz lo kote gos i annan lisyen ou pran de trwa lezo ou anvoy lo kote drwat e zot tou zot tay laba. Pa bezwen ganny distrer akoz nou annan en travay pour fer e eleksyon pa ganny lo Facebook, eleksyon ou ganny lo teren; ou bezwen al tap laport e koz avek dimoun menm si sa dimoun i vot ver, ble ouswa zonn pa fer nanryen akoz i annan menm problem li osi,” i ti dir.

Mesaz pour sitwayen Seselwa se: “Nou pei i bezwen bouz devan e pour fer sa nou bezwen annan en serten nivo linite antre nou e an se moman nou pe vwar ki menm si dimoun i koz lo linite, dan larealite i pa egziste. Nou dan en pei ki divize e mon krwar in ariv ler nou tir enpe sa divizyon.”
SPM pou organiz en konvansyon le 6 Out.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250278

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty ICUS joins SPM to form ‘Third Force’ in Seychelles politics

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:57 am

ICUS joins SPM to form ‘Third Force’ in Seychelles politics
ICUS joins SPM to form ‘Third Force’ in Seychelles politics

22-July-2016
The Independent Conservative Union of Seychelles (ICUS) has announced that it has joined forces with the newly formed Seychelles Patriotic Movement (SPM) to create a Third Force on the political stage of Seychelles.
“This creates a new and fresh team to compete in the forthcoming National Assembly election set for September 8, 9 and 10,” says a communiqué from the party’s president Mike Chadstone.
“The Third Force is the coming together of like minded people who believe that the time has come for the extreme politics of the two main political parties – namely Parti Lepep and LDS (Linyon Demokratik Seselwa) – must be brought under control for the benefit of the people of Seychelles,” says the communiqué.
“Since neither of these two parties received overwhelming support from the people of Seychelles during the 2015 presidential election is an indication that our society is deeply divided and this has created hate and resentment in our population. When you consider that we are by nature a peace loving nation and we have shown the world that despite our multiplicity of origins and different skin colours we have managed to live in peace and harmony under a Marxist Communist regime .... the Seychellois nation has not taken to violence by way of reprisal and now families and friends are being set against each other in the name of polarised politics from the two extreme political parties,” the communiqué added.
According to ICUS president, the ‘Third Force’ represents tolerance and moderation as Seychelles moves into a more open society and as the world around us is changing so we too must change, we must bring back fairness and accountability in our political system and we have to share responsibilities and no longer live in a country where all important decisions are taken by the President and the National Assembly is seen as a rubber stamp for the whims and idiosyncrasies of the President, whoever he may be. “People are calling for a new style of government, a new way of doing things and not just replacing one extreme political party by another. There is now a third choice, the Third Force and people can make up their own mind whether they wish to break the “two extremes” chains that have shackled us for 40 years or we move in a different and positive direction of stability without extremism,” says the ICUS communiqué.
The communiqué says that ICUS is already working as a team with SPM “for the benefit of our beloved country” and is asking “everyone who wants peace and harmony to join this new Movement and support the new way we want to move forward and to cast aside the polarised politics of the past. Hopefully it will not be very long now before we can form a government of unity. Time to share, time to be tolerant and time to be:
ONE PEOPLE, ONE COUNTRY UNDER ONE FLAG”.

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty SNP and Lalyans Seselwa reject SPM leader’s claims

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm

SNP and Lalyans Seselwa reject SPM leader’s claims

29-July-2016
The leaders of the Seychelles National Party (SNP) and Lalyans Seselwa (LS) have rejected what they say are “allegations targeting them” made by the leader of the Seychelles Patriotic Movement (SPM) Regis Francourt in a press conference aired on SBC on Sunday July 24, 2016.
The allegations made by Mr Francourt are that a sum of R12 million was paid through a construction company for the express purpose of ensuring that the opposition candidates were not united in the first round of the Presidential election.
“Mr Francourt claims to have proof of the recipient of the money, the bank account in which it was deposited and the company through which it was made,” says a communiqué from the Linyon Demokratik Seselwa (LDS), a grouping of opposition parties and individuals of which both SNP and LS form part.
The communiqué says the SNP and LS leaders believe that the statements made by Mr Francourt of the SPM “are a targeted political attack” fabricated to damage their image and reputation in the eyes of the Seychellois public.
“In particular, they are intended to damage the prospects of Linyon Demokratik Seselwa, of which they form part and for which they are standing as candidates in the forthcoming National Assembly elections. They deplore such malicious tactics being used as part of an election campaign,” says the LDS communiqué.
“The two leaders deny any connection to any such transaction. They affirm that these allegations are baseless and challenge Mr Francourt to show any evidence to substantiate the statements. Such lies have been part of political campaigns in the past and there is no doubt that they are part of a cowardly and malicious effort to discredit the opposition to Parti Lepep,” adds the communiqué.
According to the communiqué the two leaders also deplore the implication of the Seychelles Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) in spreading the allegations.
“The action of the SBC to assist in targeting opponents of Parti Lepep are in gross violation of its mandate to be independent and objective in covering national affairs,” says the communiqué.
The communiqué says that the leaders will take legal action against Mr Francourt for making the allegations and against the SBC for airing them.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250380

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Constitutional Court dismisses Ramkalawan’s petition against report to Electoral Commission

Post  Sirop14 Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Constitutional Court dismisses Ramkalawan’s petition against report to Electoral Commission

29-July-2016
The Constitutional Court yesterday dismissed a petition filed by Wavel Ramkalawan against a ruling to send a report to the Electoral Commission, move which could result in the SNP (Seychelles National Party) leader’s name being stricken off the voters’ register, preventing him from taking part in elections for the next five years.
Mr Ramkalawan’s lawyer Anthony Derjacques has however indicated that his client will contest the decision in the Court of Appeal and that he will file a notice of motion for his name to be kept on the voters’ list.
The Constitutional Court’s decision to send the report was taken in its ruling of May 31 this year. In their judgment against Mr Ramkalawan’s petitition contesting the results of last December’s presidential election which he lost to Parti Lepep leader James Michel, the three judges – Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey and Justices McKee and Akiiki Kiiza – had then ruled that the five-time presidential candidate was guilty of illegal practices. This was after the Anglican priest had during the election campaign sent leaflets written in Tamil to members of the local Indian community, asking them to vote for him and promising them government posts after his election.
In yesterday’s judgment read by Justice Fiona Robinson, she and her two colleagues – presiding Judge Gustave Dodin and Justice Seegobin Nunkoo – rejected lawyer Derjacques’ argument that a voter can be disqualified on only three grounds, those being insanity, absenteeism from the country and criminality.
Six other persons are facing charges of election irregularities in court. They also appeared yesterday morning where their lawyer, Elvis Chetty, presented their affidavits to the judges.
In a separate case, the court yesterday afternoon started hearing another petition from Mr Derjacques, contesting the Electoral Commission’s decision to have voters from Ile Persevérance vote in the district where they are now registered for the coming legislative election of September 8 - 10, before fresh elections are held in the new district within a one-year period. This is because a new district cannot be declared an electoral area until the dissolution of the National Assembly currently in session.
Meanwhile, Mr Ramkalawan’s appeal in the election petition case is expected to be heard on August 2, with a ruling not expected within two weeks, or before the 16th of the same month. With Nomination Day on August 17, the question remains if the former leader of the opposition in the National Assembly as well as former St Louis and Anse Etoile representative will be nominated as the English River candidate for opposition alliance Linyon Demokratik Seselwa as he intends to.
This is because, as his lawyer has pointed out, to remove a voter’s name from the electoral register is not something automatic and the register will remain closed until after the next election. Unless of course, if the Court rules otherwise. But this will be possible only after another hearing.

Nation

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Removal of the Chairman Electoral Commission, Mr Hendricks Gappy

Post  Sirop14 Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

Removal of the Chairman Electoral Commission, Mr Hendricks Gappy
LDS Supporters have been protesting for weeks now over the removal of the Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Mr Hendricks Gappy and as usual Parti Lepep 'i sourd lo Seselwa' basically protest until you are blue in the face Parti Lepep is indifferent to the protest. As part of the continued efforts for the removal of the Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Mr Hendricks Gappy, a process alongside the Weekly Protests is being launched that is by way of a Petition addressed to the Constitutional Appointment Authority. The Petition will be based under Chapter XV - MISCELLANEOUS, of the Seychelles Constitution as provided by Article 165 - Removal of Certain Officers. What does Article 165 of the Constitution say?
165.(1) This article applies to the Attorney-General, the Auditor-General, the Members of the Electoral Commission and the Ombudsman.
(2) Any officer to whom this article applies may be removed from office only-
(a) for inability to perform the functions of the office, whether arising from infirmity of body or mind or from any other cause, or for misbehaviour.
Issues which the Petition would wish to bring forth for the CAA to act and remove the Chairman of the Electoral Commission are:
1. Presidential Elections: there were several issues with the conduct of the Presidential elections including irregularities;
2. Linyon Sanzman Case: the recent decision ordering an investigation in the Linyon Sanzman affair;
3. Electoral Register: current issues surrounding the update / closing of the Electoral Register;
4. Perseverance: issues surrounding Perseverance;
5. Electronic Copy of Register: Court ruling in respect of Electronic Copy of Register.
Given the above examples and there are more which clearly illustrates incompetence of the extreme tantamount to the inability to preform the functions of the Office, can the Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Mr Hendricks Gappy be trusted with the forthcoming Elections? The CAA is being called upon to fulfill its finctions.

Joseph Athanasius appointed chief electoral officer

03-August-2016
Joseph Athanasius has been appointed chief electoral officer for the forthcoming National Assembly election slated for September 8, 9 and 10.
Mr Athanasius’ appointment has been published in the Official Gazette dated July 28, 2016 Chief electoral officer Joseph Athanasius
A lawyer by profession and registered for 26 years, Mr Athanasius read law at the University of Warwick (LL.B) and was part of the first group that led Maritime Law at the International Maritime Organisation’s International Maritime Institute (LL.M International Maritime Law).
He is currently a legal adviser on international maritime matters to the Seychelles government, as well as enjoys a thriving private practice as a legal and research consultant in his firm – Athanasius Law Firm.
The 54-year-old is also a partner and director in Maritime Bureau Seychelles, a marine surveying company, which also promotes the Seychelles Shipping Registry and maritime affairs in Asia through its branch office in Singapore.
Mr Athanasius started as a career diplomat in the foreign services 1983 with particular responsibility for vetting Seychelles’ international legal obligations in the transition from a colony to post independence. He has been active in his country’s involvement in the UNEP (United Nation Environmental Programme) Regional Seas Programme for East Africa and was vice-chairman of the drafting committee.
He was transferred in 1988 as a legal adviser to the Ministry of Transport with the primary objective of implementing IMO Conventions and drafting national legislation. He was responsible for the drafting of the new 1992 Merchant Shipping Act and Regulations, and various other legislation (Acts and Regulations).
Mr Athanasius set up the Seychelles Shipping Register and is currently reviewing the Act in order to draft a new Act and Regulations.
For the past 11 years, Mr Athanasius has been a member of the Marine Board, which is a statutory body responsible for examining and certifying seafarers, as well as conducting marine accident enquiries.
A member of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association, International Union of Latin Notaries, International Bar Association and Bar Association of Seychelles, Mr Athanasius is a frequent guest lecturer and has lectured at IMO seminars locally and regionally.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250456

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty National Assembly election 2016

Post  Sirop14 Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 am

National Assembly election 2016

04-August-2016
Preparations are-well underway

The Electoral Commission of Seychelles is mobilising all resources needed to conduct the forthcoming National Assembly Election 2016 which has been set for September 8, 9 and 10.
The voter’s register is now closed and being revised. All persons who have done a transaction from March 31 to July 14, their transactions have been verified and they will appear on the revised register of voters. Voters however can still check their names on the register.
All voters who have done a transaction from May 15, 2015 to July 14, 2016 and who have not collected their letter of confirmation are advised to come and do so at the Anse Royale, Anse Boileau, Baie Ste Anne and La Digue registration centers. While those for Anse Aux Pins and Beau Vallon registration centres may do so at the National Library where the registration officers are currently based.
Voters who did their transaction at the National Library can collect their letter of confirmation at the National Library.
A revised certified copy of the register of voters will be given to all candidates of political parties and independent candidates on nomination day.
The Electoral Commission is calling on all employers who have employees temporarily residing and working on Praslin and La Digue to send the particulars of their employees to the office of the Electoral Commission not later than August 12, 2016. Employees are also advised to verify that their names have been sent to the Commission to ensure that they are able to vote at the special voting stations.
Self-employed persons who are temporarily residing and working on the Inner Islands are also advised to send their particulars to the office.
All voters who will be travelling either on September 8, 9 or 10, 2016 must register at the Electoral Commission’s Office at the National Library by/before August 17, 2016 and bring along their valid air ticket and passport.
Particulars needed for each eligible voter are: Surname, Names, National Identification Number and address of the Electoral Area where the employee is registered. For more information on this process employers can contact:
Mrs Lorna Lepathy
Chief Registration Officer
Office of the Electoral Commission
National Library
Victoria
lornamarielepathy@yahoo.com

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Eleksyon lezislativ 2016: Empty Komisyon Eleksyon i enform Linyon Sanzman ki i pa kapab servi sa non

Post  Sirop14 Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Komisyon Eleksyon i enform Linyon Sanzman ki i pa kapab servi sa non

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=250487

Sirop14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next