Seychelles EU Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter to the Editor - Discussions on a contribution of R250 for First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church

Go down

Letter to the Editor - Discussions on a contribution of R250 for First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church Empty Letter to the Editor - Discussions on a contribution of R250 for First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church

Post  Sirop14 Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Letter to the Editor - Discussions on a contribution of R250 for First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church

26-October-2018

It really saddened me to hear about these discussions on SBC, specially at a stage when parents should be concentrating on helping their children to prepare spiritually for the event.

Let us firstly remember that this is a spiritual event which should, if done rightly, mark a spiritual growth of the child and not merely a formality of an occasion for feasting.

We should now look at the purpose of collecting R250 from each future communicant and who organises it and is responsible for using this money. As far as I understand there is a committee including parents representatives. The R250 go towards:

(a) church decoration for the event

(b) a small token to say “thank you” to all the animateurs who followed these kids during their 1 year of preparation.

I would like to look at the decoration side first. Parents appreciate a well decorated church to mark the event. In the past it was provided by donors and now it has been decided that parents contribute. Is that unfair or too hard? I think not. If it is thought a burden, I would say the solution is easy. Simply do not have a decorated church! But I am sure this idea will not be accepted with grace. We want the best but the best we should remember always carries a cost.

The second issue is the token to the kind, generous ladies and a few men, who throughout the year sacrificed half a day at week-ends to prepare the future communicants. They too have responsibilities but they leave everything to help other people’s children. Is that not something for which they deserve to be praised? They are generous volunteers i.e. unpaid workers. Should they not at least be shown some gratitude and appreciation?

Many things are given for free in the church. We enjoy them but perhaps do not feel for those who provide the service. The priest as far as I understand have nothing to do with the R250 but he is at everybody’s beck and call at all hours of day and even night sometimes.

I have been a volunteer in the society for years and I know what I am talking about. Please let us appreciate people who devote their time to help others. There is a celebration day for various categories of workers. What about one to celebrate volunteers and give them their worth and dues. Gratitude brings blessings and the giver likes to be reminded of his good deeds.

Thank you

Edwina Adrienne (Mrs)

Founder President, APSHF
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=260967

Sirop14

Back to top Go down